Sci Fi stories made by posters and others thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci Fi stories made by posters and others thread

Hi everyone. I was thinking something awhile back. I thought, hey! Aren't there a lot of sci fi fans and regular people who write stories for fun or to start up a career?

Well I have been writing things here and there, some that can't be published because they are fan fics or filled with plagiarized material and so on. It's a hobby of mine, apparently. So I have indeed written a few "original" works. I mean, there's nothing actually original since the arts are based on the idea of building on the ideas of others.

So why not share/publicize anything sci fi you have written with people who are into sci fi? And maybe people can drop comments and suggestions here on your stories and such.

I have written two sci fi short stories on booksie.com and began a short novel. (There's a none-sci fi story in there too btw). This is my account with a nice pen name to go with it.

This is the link for the novel
    http://www.booksie.com/science_ficti...m_/lyn-antoria

The link for the two short stories
    http://www.booksie.com/science_ficti...ians-curiosity

http://www.booksie.com/science_ficti...the-wow-signal

So please read, review/comment if you like, post your own stories.
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

I can't share my stories as I plan to publish everything I'm working on, but I can tell you this... I'm working on a science-fiction novel that mixes the apocalypse with time-travel adventures. Star Trek: First Contact, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Back to the Future, Part II, and Star Trek: Voyager's "Future's End" are the prime inspirations for my story. I'm working on over fifty other stories, most of which will become novels, I hope. It's not a question of if I will be successful, but when. I just have that many stories, something's got to hit the audience, right?

I would advise everyone not to divulge any story ideas that are not copyrighted nor published. If you're not careful, someone could steal your ideas. Obviously, fan-fiction's not going to go against you since you can't publish it for obvious reasons. Brain storming's probably OK too, so long as you don't give away plot-specific details. For example, asking how to use a squid in a submarine story without feeling like you copied Jules Vern. That kind of brainstorming can only aide you.

Anyway... is anyone else writing a time-travel story? What's your inspiration?

Aretood2, how do you profit from Booksie?

Comment

I got a few ideas in the works, and very slowly being written. But I have written about that in other places on this site with similar name threads.

But one is a fictionalise biographical story of a terrorist, slightly science fiction especially towards the end.

One is about people being kidnapped from earth by extraterrestrial intelligence and taken to a planet where members of thousands of other species have also been taken to and given there own city to live. The novel switches backwards an forwards between Earth, the City, it creators. It will almost certainly be part of a series of novels.

Plus I am writing quite a lot of material for a scifi strategy game I am designing an building. But the game may eventually be base on the above universe.

I have been writing a alien invasion/war movie script.
      Last edited by knowles2; 11 September 2012, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        I can't share my stories as I plan to publish everything I'm working on, but I can tell you this... I'm working on a science-fiction novel that mixes the apocalypse with time-travel adventures. Star Trek: First Contact, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Back to the Future, Part II, and Star Trek: Voyager's "Future's End" are the prime inspirations for my story. I'm working on over fifty other stories, most of which will become novels, I hope. It's not a question of if I will be successful, but when. I just have that many stories, something's got to hit the audience, right?

I would advise everyone not to divulge any story ideas that are not copyrighted nor published. If you're not careful, someone could steal your ideas. Obviously, fan-fiction's not going to go against you since you can't publish it for obvious reasons. Brain storming's probably OK too, so long as you don't give away plot-specific details. For example, asking how to use a squid in a submarine story without feeling like you copied Jules Vern. That kind of brainstorming can only aide you.
        Booksie does help you with copyright protection. But in your case, I wouldn't recommend it. Just because you can't be too careful if you are really serious about your writing. I'm more casual as writing as never been something I aspire to do as a career. But I found it to be a nice hobby.

Most of my inspirations are from a ton of sources, some which even deal with my interesting imagination and how I played things out with my toys as a kid making stories and plots for them. Fun times

Anyway... is anyone else writing a time-travel story? What's your inspiration?

Aretood2, how do you profit from Booksie?
        My inspiration for Lyn Antoria is Andromeda, some gateworld antics, and general concepts that I have picked up on from a wide field of sources. Andromeda is a big one really, then there's Buzz Light Year, and police procedurals.

Booksie for me was the simplest cheapest way to write stories that have some copyright protection yet not cost me money. Like I said, I am not serious about writing as a career. I wanted readers though, and that's what this site give me. It is semi-safe and free. The website runs on ads and donations, for now it'll do. But it isn't something, in my opinion, that you might want to post on if you feel that the copyright that the website offers is not secure enough. Can the copyright change/expire forcing you to copyright everything? Even if you do have a copyright, what if someone with greater resources and notoriety takes your ideas and copyrights them? Who will win a possible lawsuit? How long will it take for you to find out that this person did such a thing? And so on. For me, it's good enough.

The copyright give me the rights to the stories, not the website.
        Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        I got a few ideas in the works, and very slowly being written. But I have written about that in other places on this site with similar name threads.

But one is a fictionalise biographical story of a terrorist, slightly science fiction especially towards the end.

One is about people being kidnapped from earth by extraterrestrial intelligence and taken to a planet where members of thousands of other species have also been taken to and given there own city to live. The novel switches backwards an forwards between Earth, the City, it creators. It will almost certainly be part of a serious of novels.

Plus I am writing quite a lot of material for a scifi strategy game I am designing an building. But the game may eventually be base on the above universe.

I have been writing a alien invasion/war movie script.
        That all sounds very interesting. Would you mind sharing that with us? If you're comfortable with that idea, keeping in mind what Snowman said.
        By Nolamom
        sigpic

Comment

Not at the minute. May once I finish the first draft of script, I will share that with you and Gate world, PDF film.

The two novels are just collections of ideas at minute, with pieces of chapters and story outlines at the moment, an character profiles.

I have read these two short stories of yours;

http://www.booksie.com/science_ficti...ians-curiosity

http://www.booksie.com/science_ficti...the-wow-signal

I thought they were well written and there some good ideas there, looking forward to reading more in the future.

Comment

Working...
          X