Third Age total war & other LOTR based game discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Age total war & other LOTR based game discussion thread

So, I was recently introduced to an awesome mod for MTW two, Third age Total war, a free to download and totally worth the time mod. It is easily among the best free mods ever.
    Cons-
    If an official version was made it would be a little better the mod has some issues, some of the battle maps are off or will not load most of the time like Dol Guldur or Minas Morgul, or if they do load its a tad funky. Some of the voices are off and some of the lines are still from Med 2, like a Dwarven diplomat saying "representing Scotland." And like any game it has bugs.

Pros-
    Its free. They really did a great job with what they had to work with, fantastic unit graphics with the avatars,(bots, or whatever you want to call them.)its so cool to have an army of Silvan warriors at your command dressed in the same armor and wielding the same weapons as they do in the FOTR movie intro, or a sea of armored Uruk'hai assaulting Helms Deep. They got the middle earth map right on and really researched their Tolkien'ese. There is a wide variety of units and a few playable kingdoms I would not have thought of or would have mushed together, like the free peoples of Eriador, or separating the Orcs of Gundabad and the Misty mountains.

You can play as-High elves,(Imladris, Mithlond.)
    Free peoples of Eriador which includes Hobbets,
    Orcs of the northern mountains of Gundabad,
    the Orcs of the misty mountains,
    Isengard,
    all the Dwarves are one kingdom,
    Silvan elves(Lothlorien, Mirkwood.)
    the men of Dale,
    the men of Rhun,
    the Haradrim,
    Mordor,
    Rohan,
    and of course Gondor. Each has its own unique units and strengths and weaknesses. They just did a great job.

You have the Palantirs and the well of Galadrial for seeing through the FOW.(Unless you just ` toggle_fow)

Instead of the Pope you have the Dark lord, who can send evil factions on invasions, I.E Helms Deep or Minas Tirith.

The console commands from MTW 2 work for TATW. May require some adjustment or experimentation.

Summery-Awesome. Total-ly worth it if your into civ building strategy games and are a Tolkien fanatic.(Pun intended.)

Anyone have thoughts or comments? Or questions?

Other games open for discussion-
    War of the ring
    Battle for Middle Earth
    Battle for middle Earth 2
    LOTR online
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Omg I've been wanting to open a thread about this but I never thought about it seriously....

I love TATW. I got a new computer just so I could play it. It blows all the other LOTR games out of the water, in my opinion. And it's only a mod...
    sigpic

Comment

Games you missed of your list:
      LOTR War in the North
      LOTR Conquest
      Battle for Middle Earth 2 The Rise of the Witchking

I have literally all the LOTR games on PC (ecxcept LOTR online) and love them all.
      For some reason my new PC refuses to play the BFME games which is really annoying as I used to love playing them and I now have an urge to get back into them and cant!
      Had great campaign stories and the multiplayer was ok... usually did comp stomps and solo games were fun. The range of games was also fun, with WOTR spanning the whole of Middle Earth.

LOTR WOTR is a good game, but for some reason it now refuses to remember my saves so I cant complete the campaign again... but its got a nice story to it.

LOTR WITN is a fun story set in the North and its story line is pretty interesting. Also, nice to see so many familiar characters and new ones and its pretty good graphics wise. Its multiplayer is also quite good, but abit limiting.

Conquest is sort of like the Star Wars Battlefront games, with different units to play as and different objectives like capture the flag, skirmish and capture the bases. Pretty fun and the storyline is quite good, get to smash things up with the Balrog and play as your favourite heroes as bosses.

As you can tell, I love anything related to LOTR and I eagerly await the games that will spawn from the Hobbit, and of course, the movies themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
        Omg I've been wanting to open a thread about this but I never thought about it seriously....
        I was not sure if I should make the thread ether.

I love TATW. I got a new computer just so I could play it. It blows all the other LOTR games out of the water, in my opinion.
        I did not have to get a new computer(I already have one that can handle Skyrim with max graphics.)and I think it is an awesome game, the best strategy game based on LOTR, but there are certain aspects of other ring games that are still enjoyable. I lost my copy of BFME 2 though, and it turns out its not a cheap game to replace(average $ 37:00 for a used, used!!!!) but for now I am sticking with TATW. Also its not a role playing game which is a different kind of fun, but its still awesome of course.

And it's only a mod...
        Exactly, imagine if an official pure TATW was released. EPIC!!!!!

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
        Games you missed of your list:
        LOTR War in the North
        LOTR Conquest
        Battle for Middle Earth 2 The Rise of the Witchking
        True, true. My apologies.

I have literally all the LOTR games on PC (ecxcept LOTR online) and love them all.
        Nice
        For some reason my new PC refuses to play the BFME games which is really annoying as I used to love playing them and I now have an urge to get back into them and cant!
        I lost BFME 2. And I lost the cd key for WOTR because I moved.
        Had great campaign stories and the multiplayer was ok... usually did comp stomps and solo games were fun. The range of games was also fun, with WOTR spanning the whole of Middle Earth.
        WOTR was cartooney but charming, and it stuck more to the books then Peter Jackson's representations of Middle Earth.(Both reps are good in my opinion.)
        LOTR WOTR is a good game, but for some reason it now refuses to remember my saves so I cant complete the campaign again... but its got a nice story to it.
        When I started playing I got so angry at it because I did not know about the Elven cloaks and Frodo with the ring and the...er...I forget what the evil side gets, is it Gollum? But I thought the game was seriously glitched because it seemed as though "nothing" was attacking me. I figured it out eventually of course.

LOTR WITN is a fun story set in the North and its story line is pretty interesting. Also, nice to see so many familiar characters and new ones and its pretty good graphics wise. Its multiplayer is also quite good, but abit limiting.
        I do not believe I have played that.

Conquest is sort of like the Star Wars Battlefront games, with different units to play as and different objectives like capture the flag, skirmish and capture the bases. Pretty fun and the storyline is quite good, get to smash things up with the Balrog and play as your favourite heroes as bosses.
        So another version of Age of Empires? Might be interesting.

As you can tell, I love anything related to LOTR and I eagerly await the games that will spawn from the Hobbit, and of course, the movies themselves.
        Me too.
        Last edited by Gormagon; 16 August 2012, 03:00 PM.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

So which factions are peoples favorites? Personally I like the Silvan elves and the men of Rhun the most. The archers of the Silvan elves are incredible (I happen to love archery and marksmanship )you can take out hundreds or even thousands of Goblins before they actually reach you. Plus their elves, who can go wrong with the Eldar?

The men of Rhun have a great unit mix. Next to archers heavy infantry are my favorite units, and they have lots O' tank units available. But, they also have multiple forms of Calvery for running down your fleeing enemy unlike the Dawarves whom well cool, lack any form of mounted unit. Even the Orcs have Warg riders, I have not tried the High elves yet(only faction I have not tried.)but they probably have some sort of mounted unit. The men of Rhun also have decent archer/cross bow units. Better then Snaga or Orc archers if less numerous.

I played the Haradrim but I never could train Mumakil.

I love Trolls.

Playing with Orc units are great because you do not really have to care about them dying and they generally outnumber enemy battalions by 100-130 units.

Snaga skirmishers are like, the perfect fodder front line troop. They have a very effective attack, come in bands of 250, are fast moving, for unknown reasons have good moral, are dirt cheap and readily replaced. You can use them to soak up arrow fire and exhaust the enemy well still doing decent damage. FTW. *Tear rolls down cheek*

I never made it far with the FPOE.

Orcs of the misty mountains lack spearmen which is kind of odd, but I love the look of their heavier goblin units.

Orcs of Gundabad have snow trolls which in turn have 37 attack, good night my someone goodnight.

Mordor is Mordor. Always fun to be the bad guy.

Gondor does have awesome heavy infantry, but soooo slow to recruit the cool units.

Isengard is cool because its Isengard.

Rohans early and numerous Calvary are convenient but you cannot siege with Calvary alone so the travel distance advantage is limited.

Men of Dale, hmmm, kinda neutral on them. They were interesting to play but my first time with them it was so difficult, Rhun was sending huge army after huge army after me and I am like how can they afford this?! I turns out someone(Not me) edited the file and gave Rhun 99999999 gold. So I reset it and started over. Much easier.
          Last edited by Gormagon; 20 August 2012, 05:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X