Highlander reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highlander reboot

With a Highlander reboot in the works, Ryan Reynolds is being cast as Conner MacLeod. Personally, I can't imagine Reynolds playing a wise, 500 year old Scotsmen. Who else could play MacLeod, who could play Jaun Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez, and who could play The Kurgan? For MacLeod, I would cast Nathan Fillion (Firefly), Kiefer Sutherland (24), or Joshua Jackson (Fringe). For Ramirez, I would cast Liam Nesson, and as for The Kurgan, I would cast Adam Baldwin (Firefly).

Agreed that Ryan Reynolds is wrong for Connor. I could see Colin Farrell or your idea of Josh Jackson. I will risk mockery by bringing up another name from Terminator, Sarah Connor Chronicles, and that's Brian Austin Greene. I never thought he'd be able to pull off a tough guy, but TSCC really surprised me in that he pulled off a badass character.
    Love Nathan Fillion as well, but just don't see him in that role. Now, another Firefly movie, perhaps.... :-).

Comment

As an avid fan of the first movies and the series, I'm still not sure about about a reboot. Being that I've never watched anything with Ryan Reynolds in it and reading what you two have just posted, it's making me even more unsure if I'd even want to watch this one.
      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I have no problem at all with Highlander being rebooted. First movie and the TV series were great, but all the sequels makes Highlander deserve a reboot.

As for Ryan Reynolds playing Connor McLeod, I am not sure they could have made a worse choice. I like the actor but I do believe he's completely wrong for the part. Then again, they did get an American born, Swiss raised French actor to play a Scottish immortal for the original so I can't really judge Reynolds too harshly if he's signed on to do the film.

sigpic

Comment

I hope they don't change the mythology too much. I've heard that some of the 'rules' that have been developed in the past will be tossed out the window.

I'm a huge Highlander fan, but mostly of the series, not the movies.
          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I really don't like Reynolds for this role, he's just not the right actor to play the Highlander.

If I were casting the movie I'd be looking at either Gerard Butler or Clive Owen.

Comment

Highlander doesnt need a Reboot. The first movie was great. If they want to do one, they should just make a new movie in the Highlander universe..
              sigpic

Comment

I loved the series, movies were fun too. Ryan Reynolds?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                  As for Ryan Reynolds playing Connor McLeod, I am not sure they could have made a worse choice. I like the actor but I do believe he's completely wrong for the part. Then again, they did get an American born, Swiss raised French actor to play a Scottish immortal for the original so I can't really judge Reynolds too harshly if he's signed on to do the film.
                  I think anyone would agree that Christopher Lambert was not the best choice in the first place, and Ryan Reynolds is probably an even worse choice.

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                  Highlander doesnt need a Reboot. The first movie was great. If they want to do one, they should just make a new movie in the Highlander universe..
                  They can't keep doing sequels. each one is worse than the last (except for Highlander: Endgame, which showed some minor increase in quality.) They need to start from scratch, if they ever want to continue the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancientechexpert View Post
                    They can't keep doing sequels. each one is worse than the last (except for Highlander: Endgame, which showed some minor increase in quality.) They need to start from scratch, if they ever want to continue the franchise.
                    Not sequel. Just a new movie with a new characters.
                    sigpic

Comment

Not sequel. Just a new movie with a new characters.
                      The problem with that is that we know how things end. Any other immortal character than MacLeod will eventually have their head chopped off which is a bit of a downer...

It would make more sense to do a early years movie that shows MacLeods antics in some period like the french revolution or world war I.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                        The problem with that is that we know how things end. Any other immortal character than MacLeod will eventually have their head chopped off which is a bit of a downer...

It would make more sense to do a early years movie that shows MacLeods antics in some period like the french revolution or world war I.
                        They did that with great success in the Series. All those great historical flashbacks is what made the series so great.

I would rather see a new series, not necessarily with one particular hero, but based on the Watcher Chronicles. Some Watchers could sit around and discuss their Immortals. An ensemble cast with the emphasis on the flashbacks.
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                          They did that with great success in the Series. All those great historical flashbacks is what made the series so great.

I would rather see a new series, not necessarily with one particular hero, but based on the Watcher Chronicles. Some Watchers could sit around and discuss their Immortals. An ensemble cast with the emphasis on the flashbacks.
                          It doesn't really matter anymore. It's no longer in the stage of a writer thinking "let's do another Highlander." It's already being written and planned and cast as a reboot.

Comment

The problem with another movie in the existing Highlander universe is that, spoiler alert, Duncan Mcleod won. He became the final immortal so there isn't much that can be done unless they retcon it (and hopefully better than Highlander 2's planet Zeist solution).

It makes rebooting the series is a better choice than continuing a film franchise that as it stands, sucks (except the first).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post

Your idea has me intrigued. I'm just not sure if there any writers left in Hollywood that could pull it off.
                              I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Working...
                              X