This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mythology or Technology?

In which direction should the programme be going? Personally, I got really interested in Stargate because of the mythology. However, the technology aspect and special effects have definitely grown on me.

I would like to see more mythology and history injected back into Stargate, whilst trying to keep the ship on ship dogfights and the dynamics of the sg1 team.

A redress of the imbalance sould occur before Stargate becomes indistinguishable from any other sci fi series. Of course its a long way from that happening, but more mythology is definitely needed.
    The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
    The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
    Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
    Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
    Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

in season 9 they will deal with the history of the ancients - i expect this will be mostly mythological
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Hopefully. I think Stargate should go back to its roots and include more of our history and mythology in its stories. That way it stays well clear of any other sci fi series, and offers a certain something that isn't there in any other science fiction programme.
      The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
      Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato

Comment

mythology as opposed to technology is where stargate is different to other scifi shows
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

A mix is the best.

Like the Goa'uld posing as gods, but we don't really know anything about the science behind their technology. Which element is used in the weapons for example. They introduce alot of new technology but they never dig any deeper or give us technogeeks any numbers to calculate with. That way you only have alot of ideas but no real facts to base everything on.

EDIT: Oh, post 3,000.00

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            EDIT: Oh, post 3,000.00
            GO YOU!!!

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

Its the attention to detail that makes sci fi .. well sci fi. They need to go in-depth into the technologies and the mythologies equaly. I don't like it when they introduce a character from history just to kill him off half an hour later, or when a convenient piece of technology turns up for that episode and then gets lost.
              They need to expand on every new piece they introduce, not so much that there's no actually story, but enough so that we have some kind of context to what's going on.

Comment

too many concepts are short lived
                love Torri

Comment

Definately mythology as that's what makes stargate unique... but why not use it to help explain technology? For example; Thor's mythological chariot is actually his ship in 'real' (I.e. sg-1) life.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky
                    Definately mythology as that's what makes stargate unique... but why not use it to help explain technology? For example; Thor's mythological chariot is actually his ship in 'real' (I.e. sg-1) life.
                    Isnt it already used to do this
                    love Torri

Comment

Yeah, it does, but not always... for example the quantum mirror wasn't explained via mythology. I just thought they could kill two birds with one stone more often. Though I suppose that basing everything off mythology wouldn't be especially creative.

Comment

You make a good point
                        love Torri

Comment

Thanks.

To be truthful, I wouldn't mind them actually doing a story arc about Ancient mythology and archeology. It would be cool to see more ruined monuments like in Lost City that would explain more about the Ancients and their various factions etc.

Comment

Season 9 will be about that kind of stuff
                            love Torri

Comment

Working...
                            X