Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who's job is it to design what the creatures in Sci-Fi/Fantasy films look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who's job is it to design what the creatures in Sci-Fi/Fantasy films look like?

suppose a a film maker wanted say.... to have a half dragon half scorpion in a big budget fantasy film he's making, who's job would it be to read the description in the script and decide what the creature will look like on screen?

The art director is the official title I believe they lead and direct all the art work.

Sketch artist, story boarder.

Then you have a 3D modeller, 3D animator, a lighting rigger, texture, sound editors (or human actors) that bring the create to life on screen,

It basically the same if you use animatronics or stop motion, except the tools and materials they use are different .

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
      The art director is the official title I believe they lead and direct all the art work.

Sketch artist, story boarder.

Then you have a 3D modeller, 3D animator, a lighting rigger, texture, sound editors (or human actors) that bring the create to life on screen,

It basically the same if you use animatronics or stop motion, except the tools and materials they use are different .
      "3D modeller" do you mean some one who creates a model in a computer or in real life out of clay or something?

Comment

I just imagined a dragon with a scorpion's tail...Someone call SyFy, we have their next original movie monster...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
          I just imagined a dragon with a scorpion's tail...Someone call SyFy, we have their next original movie monster...
          Except that they already exist and are called wyverns.

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
            "3D modeller" do you mean some one who creates a model in a computer or in real life out of clay or something?

I think it fits both type of jobs but it tend to be recognise as people that use computers and software like Maya or blender that are called 3d modellers.

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
              suppose a a film maker wanted say.... to have a half dragon half scorpion in a big budget fantasy film he's making, who's job would it be to read the description in the script and decide what the creature will look like on screen?
              That would be a Concept Artist.

Director/producer/writer will say to the Art Director "we have this scene and it has a big flying scorpion monster in it, go make some designs for it"

So the Art Director gets their Concept Artist(s) to draw up some designs for said creature (usually in 2D, although maybe in 3D), after which this will be shown to the director/producer who asked for it. They might say "i want it to look scarier". This will then be relayed back to the artists who will refine the design to the best of their ability to something that the director/producer etc is happy with.

Once they've settled on a final design, it will then usually be given to a 3D Modeller who will make the actual model for the creature which will be used on screen. After this the model will be given to animators etc so they can actually animate the creature for the sequence and then the sequence will be given to the people who handle post production and lighting effects to finish off the scene.

Concept Artist ---> 3D Model ---> Animation ---> Post Production ----Final Result (What you see on screen).

that's it in a quick nutshell really but the workflow will vary from place to place. One person might do more than one stage sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Demoniser View Post
                That would be a Concept Artist.

Director/producer/writer will say to the Art Director "we have this scene and it has a big flying scorpion monster in it, go make some designs for it"

So the Art Director gets their Concept Artist(s) to draw up some designs for said creature (usually in 2D, although maybe in 3D), after which this will be shown to the director/producer who asked for it. They might say "i want it to look scarier". This will then be relayed back to the artists who will refine the design to the best of their ability to something that the director/producer etc is happy with.

Once they've settled on a final design, it will then usually be given to a 3D Modeller who will make the actual model for the creature which will be used on screen. After this the model will be given to animators etc so they can actually animate the creature for the sequence and then the sequence will be given to the people who handle post production and lighting effects to finish off the scene.

Concept Artist ---> 3D Model ---> Animation ---> Post Production ----Final Result (What you see on screen).

that's it in a quick nutshell really but the workflow will vary from place to place. One person might do more than one stage sometimes.
                In small productions one person may do the whole lot, Monsters for example.

Great explanation, better than mine.

Comment

Working...
                X