Recommend me a TV show, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a TV show, please!

I've been watching some really good shows lately, some with my mom, some on my own. Below is a list of shows I've watched that I've really enjoyed. Do ya'll mind posting some recommendations? Let's not let this thread be limited to me. It's for anyone who's scratching their head as to what to check out based on what they like. Note: This is not limited to science-fiction, but any one-hour drama series. Episodic, serial, I don't care so long as the stories are good.

To access what you might recommend, here's what I've liked thus far...

Firefly, Jericho, Roswell, Sanctuary
    Star Trek (original, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, & Enterprise)
    Stargate (SG-1 & Atlantis), Surface, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Shows I may watch include...

Farscape (worth seeing?)
    Legend of the Seeker (saw a few episodes, liked what I saw)
    MacGyver (seen random episodes, but not the whole series)
    Mission: Impossible (worth seeing?)
    SeaQuest DSV (worth seeing?)
    Stargate: Universe (tried 3 episodes back in 2009, gonna give a second chance)
    The Walking Dead (Is this too gory?)
    The X Files (been years since I watched, saw episodes randomly)

Seaquest is quite good and i recommend Grim
    sigpic

Comment

Boston Legal.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Southland
        airs on TNT, usually in the winter months; my favorite cop show of all time
        sigpic

Comment

Grim? Boston Legal? Southland? Yes, I can look them up, but it helps to tell me why you recommend the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            Boston Legal.
            Seconded

Denny Crane
            Last Movie Watched
            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
            Life is Strange

Comment

Care to tell why? Denny Crane? Is that a show?

Comment

No, Denny Crane is the main character on Boston Legal, played by William Shatner. I've only seen random episodes. People tend to like or dislike BL depending on how they feel about Denny.

Farscape is definitely worth seeing. It's fairly quirky when compared to other sci-fi shows, and sometimes they're downright crazy. But it's definitely worth seeing IMO. There's a sort of overall story arc, but also lots of stand-alone episodes with good character development and adventure.

Babylon 5, and if you like it, the short-lived Crusade set in the same universe. Great if you like big, galaxy-encompassing stories and lots of odd aliens and a showdown between good and evil. (Although the good guys aren't all that they seem all the time either.) It was made in the mid-90s which shows in the FX and CGI, but IMO the story more than makes up for that and for the occasionally wooden acting.

Battlestar Galactica. I love this show, but I do realize it's not for everyone. A post-apocalyptic story where you also get to see why the "evil" guys behave as they do. May not be for you if you don't like moral ambiguity, but the show definitely makes you think.

MacGyver was a part of my teens and I had a huge crush on RDA when I was 13. I'd like to watch it again too.
                sigpic

Comment

I think.. although it is a cop/crime show, you could like The Mentalist, Simon Baker is gold in this show as are the other actors and actresses, I usually do not like crime shows but this has more or less an overall arc throughout the series but most of the time the episodes are one story though sometimes it ties up to the greater arc. It has four seasons now...
                  Grimm is a supernatural cop mystery thriller which airs currently on nbc and got renewed for a second season. The main character has not to deal with murders and drugdealers anymore but has to worry with demons and monsters etc. I think some of the writers were on Angel. I myself saw only the first half of the season and decided to wait for the DVD because those shows makes more fun to watch it in a row...
                  The Walking Dead is sometimes of course a bit gory especially in the first episodes but especially in the second seasons ( well watched only the half as well ) it looks like not that gory anymore, but still its a post-apycalypse zombie show so naturally a bit gore is always included but it is one of my favorite shows nowadays!
                  Sliders a stellar alternate universe show with Jerry O Connel and John Rhys Davis, it is about a young boy who finds a doorway to travel through different universe. it is always Earth but set in a parallel dimension. So there funny themes like the russian took over the world or the dinosaurs are still alive etc, at the end of season three John RHys Davis leaves the show though and it becomes rather redundant but still likeable though I have not seen the show in ages and plan on watching it some time this year again!
                  I did not like BL.... although there are lot of actors in it that like, James Spader, William Shatner.. etc. etc.
                  Last edited by Sp!der; 06 May 2012, 12:22 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    Grim? Boston Legal? Southland? Yes, I can look them up, but it helps to tell me why you recommend the show.
                    Well, If you had seen it you would know there is no other reason besides...........

Denny Crane.

But seriously, Boston leagal tackles many social issues, sometimes humorously, sometimes seriously (depending on who is the lead in the case in question). Its is a show that can make you think very deeply about social issues, and the role the law plays in them, and the cosequences and effects of an individuals stance on said issues.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Fringe, now that its is renewed for a 5th and final Season you can be assured closure.

Comment

Sherlock

I understand the second season starts tonight on PBS & the first is on Netflix.

Comment

Sherlock and Fringe are excellent recommendations! I wanted to add maybe Alias or Chuck ..all have five seasons and a more or less ending... Alias is a more serious drama mystery spy series with Jennifer Garner and J.J. Abrams is involved, Chuck is more a comedy spy series in which two agents needs to protect a "nerd" because he has secret stuff in his brain.
                          sigpic

Comment

There are defiantly a lot of great shows out there, both past and presence. Of the once you have mentioned I can recommend seeing ‘Legend of the Seeker’, I really enjoyed it and even if it ended way to soon the episodes they did do were great. Another one of my all time favorite shows is ‘Supernatural’, it already have 7 seasons out and we were told only last week that there will be a season 8, another show I just love is ‘Bones’ and while I still haven’t seen ‘Castle’ myself people seem to love it, they are both crime shows but are done in a different way and have both humor and drama in them.

‘The Walking Dead’, ‘The Game of Thrones’ and ‘True Blood’ are three other shows I would recommend if you feel that your stomach can handle it because it that is because they can be pretty brutal and visually.

Some older show that I thought were great when they aired were ‘Buffy: The Vampire Slayer’ (7 seasons) and her sister show ‘Angel’ (5 seasons) and ‘Smallville’ (10 seasons)

On why I liked them, I dunno, there are many different reasons but for me what I love about any show are those that really mix the genres like many of these do (and by that I mean that you really get the best of everything, great story and great characters, but also a lot of humor and warmth and romance but also a lot of drama and action, some horror or maybe some thriller element)
                            sigpic

Comment

"Prison Break" very intense and action packed.
                              "Boston Legal" Danny Crane!
                              "Game Of Thrones" maybe a bit to brutal for some, like me, but overall a great show
                              "Supernatural" The two brothers rock!
                              "Monk" If you like Cop Show Dramedys?
                              "Farscape" (worth seeing?) of course!
                              "SGU" many people said season two get´s really good, I think the whole show is great.
                              "Battlestar Galactica" space, drama and action.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X