Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what was so good about this film? i just watched planet of the apes (original) and if anything it was better then 2001 so what was so good about it?
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

It was groundbreaking for its day. They got lots of the details right because Arthur C. Clarke who wrote the script knows his space mechanics. Slow movements, no stopping and starting, and of course that you won't explode if you expose yourself to vacuum for some 10+ seconds. The cinematography also worked pretty well, even if the movie's very slow most of the time. And of course, the late 60s "futuristic" design is a laugh. They also got the moonwalk scene down pretty well with a decent simulation of zero-g, even if the moon looks more jagged than it is. But considering that the movie was released a few months before "One small step..."! they got most of it right.
    sigpic

Comment

yes all the futuristic & SFX and what not were amazing for the '60's i just don't what all the hubbub was about
      sigpic

Comment

"I didnt like it....Dave"
        sigpic

Comment

im curious to see that guy from Jaws in 2010
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            It was groundbreaking for its day. They got lots of the details right because Arthur C. Clarke who wrote the script knows his space mechanics. Slow movements, no stopping and starting, and of course that you won't explode if you expose yourself to vacuum for some 10+ seconds. The cinematography also worked pretty well, even if the movie's very slow most of the time. And of course, the late 60s "futuristic" design is a laugh. They also got the moonwalk scene down pretty well with a decent simulation of zero-g, even if the moon looks more jagged than it is. But considering that the movie was released a few months before "One small step..."! they got most of it right.
            i don't think that's what he was getting at.

i'm willing to bet he's talking about how the film makes no sense unless you go in to watching it knowing the monolith is placed on planets by aliens when they know they inhabitants are on the verge of a large evolutionary step forward.
            and even then...the end is a complete mystery.

Comment

so with all this should i watch 2010?
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah. Even if Dr Chandra in the movie is nothing like the guy in the book.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
                  yes all the futuristic & SFX and what not were amazing for the '60's i just don't what all the hubbub was about
                  ...and the award for most contradictory statement ever made goes to!
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by dacooker
                  The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                      Yeah. Even if Dr Chandra in the movie is nothing like the guy in the book.
                      oh i watched Jaws for the first time ever LOVED Roy Schneider
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
                        what was so good about this film? i just watched planet of the apes (original) and if anything it was better then 2001 so what was so good about it?
                        It makes you think.
                        Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Comment

so did POTP
                          sigpic

Comment

I know 2001 is meant to be great, but have to say I've never finished watching it - fall asleep every time.

I am guessing "that" is what the COL. is getting at? That, 2001 is meant to be some amazing sci-fi cult classic, and yet... it's just... snooze worthy?

A few of my friends in high school used to rave about it... and try to debate it... but it's just never done it for me...
                            back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                            "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                            and lots more!

Comment

i fell asleep to i missed the first 40 mins
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X