Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How common are professionally run observatories?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How common are professionally run observatories?

I'm reading a sci-fi story where the island of Nantucket in thrown back in time to the bronze age, an astronomer figures out the exact year of 1250BC by the looking at the stars
    is their likely to be an observatory on somewhere as small and sparsely populated as Nantucket?

Loines Observatory is in Nantucket, MA. And it's referred to as Nantucket Island.

As to how many there are in general...IDK. But I've seen them in many towns and cities.
    Last edited by LtColCarter; 20 April 2012, 07:03 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      Loines Observatory is in Nantucket, MA. And it's referred to as Nantucket Island.

As to how many there are in general...IDK. But I've seen them in many towns and cities.
      I said the "island of Nantucket" not "Nantucket Island", and isn't it just uncommon not actually wrong?

Comment

It's still referred to as Nantucket Island...which is where Nantucket, MA is located. And I forgot that there are 2 observatories in Nantucket...Loines Observatory and Maria Mitchell Obsevatory.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          It's still referred to as Nantucket Island...which is where Nantucket, MA is located. And I forgot that there are 2 observatories in Nantucket...Loines Observatory and Maria Mitchell Obsevatory.
          sorry I read the sentence as "isn't referred to as Nantucket Island" rather then "it's referred to as Nantucket Island"

Comment

Originally posted by slimjim View Post
            sorry I read the sentence as "isn't referred to as Nantucket Island" rather then "it's referred to as Nantucket Island"
            Its all good.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X