Cancelled shows that returned to TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancelled shows that returned to TV?

With all of this talk about how this show or that show should be brought back for another season... Are there any shows where this did happen? I can think of a few...

Jericho: Cancelled by CBS after one season. Due to an audience campaign, the show was brought back for a brief, seven-episode second season. The series finale had two endings. One set up a plot to lead into a potential third season. The aired ending provided closure.

Roswell: Cancelled after two seasons by the WB to make room for Smallville. UPN picked up the third season which turned out to be the last. Fortunately, the producers saw the writing on the wall and made sure the third season provided closure. The series finale left the door open for a fourth season in case UPN or another network was interested.

Stargate SG-1: Cancelled by Showtime after five seasons, picked up by SciFi for five more.

NOTE: I'm asking about shows that returned for at least one more season, not just a movie or miniseries.

Family Guy and Futurama come to mind.

Farscape and Firefly got follow ups as well but no new tv series.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Babylon 5 ran for four seasons on PTEN and was looking likely to end when the network was dissolved, but it was rescued for a fifth season by TNT.

Southland was cancelled by NBC after one season, and picked up by TNT. It recently finished its fourth season and prospects for a fifth are very promising.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yeah, I edited my post to specify that I'm asking about returning for new seasons. I don't count movies nor miniseries, because that's really a jump to a different medium. I don't watch Family Guy nor Futurama. Why were they cancelled? How did they return?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          I don't watch Family Guy nor Futurama. Why were they cancelled? How did they return?
          Family Guy...was very good at pissing off their ad sponsors when they were first on. In one particular instance, then managed to peeve off one of their largest sponsors (Pottery Barn) at the time with just an off-hand joke in one episode. When it emerged as one of (if not the) best-selling TV series on DVD of all time, FOX realized they'd kicked one of their most lucrative properties to the curb and brought it back. ...and with its (re)emergence as a ratings giant, they can now pretty much get away with whatever they want and ad sponsors just look the other way.

Futurama was expensive and FOX were a bunch of cheap buggers about paying for it, so while they didn't officially cancel it, they never renewed it past the end of its final original run. A number of years later, Comedy Central got the rights to air re-runs and was getting phenomenal viewer numbers. They got permission to make four direct-to-DVD movies to gauge interest in bringing the show back, and they sold so well that it happened. It's still around, airing new episodes on Comedy Central, and is renewed through summer 2014.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh and also..

Murdoch Mysteries was produced for 5 seasons by a partnership between ITV and Rogers Media. Rogers Media cancelled it, but CBC picked it up for a sixth year.

Netflix has also recently resuscitated Arrested Development, yet another victim of the FOX executioner. After being pretty consistently mistreated by FOX for its entire original run, AD ended in 2006. After announcing a movie follow-up, it was announced that Netflix would produce a new season of episodes to lead up to the film.

Comment

Baywatch was also cancelled (by NBC) after just one season, and was off the air for a year. The the Hoff and his buddies, deciding it still had life, managed to negotiate first-run syndication and got the show back up and running--for 10 more years.

JAG was another NBC victim, getting cancelled after just one season. It was rescued by CBS and went on for however many years. And also spun off NCIS, which is doing quite well to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Baywatch was also cancelled (by NBC) after just one season, and was off the air for a year. The the Hoff and his buddies, deciding it still had life, managed to negotiate first-run syndication and got the show back up and running--for 10 more years.

JAG was another NBC victim, getting cancelled after just one season. It was rescued by CBS and went on for however many years. And also spun off NCIS, which is doing quite well to this day.
                9 years
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I think I remember Forever Knight being canceled from network and picked up by USA or one of those cable show for another season or two.

Oh and Breaking In was cancelled and brought back this year, but it isn't as good as it was.

Comment

Forever Knight was cancelled and brought back TWICE. 1st by CBS when they had the Crimetime after Primetive late night shows. Then picked up by USA which cancelled it and then picked it up for another year.
                    sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

"The Bionic Woman" was on ABC for 2 seasons, cancelled then picked up by NBC for a third season. (just happened to see this on the DVD extras)

IHS
                      sigpic

Comment

Dr Who, we'll this kinda fits in this catagory, i dont think it was cancelled but it went off the air for a long time and returned in 2005 with the new series
                        Last Movie Watched
                        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                        Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                          Dr Who, we'll this kinda fits in this catagory, i dont think it was cancelled but it went off the air for a long time and returned in 2005 with the new series
                          Yep, absolutely correct. It was never officially cancelled by the beeb, they just didn't order a 27th season and never announced it as cancelled.

Seven years later they tried to re-launch it geared more toward an American audience (the movie), which is generally considered to be a flop as it failed to resuscitate it as a series. And then in 2005, it returned under the guidance of Russell Davies, 16 years after the original run ended.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Yep, absolutely correct. It was never officially cancelled by the beeb, they just didn't order a 27th season and never announced it as cancelled.

Seven years later they tried to re-launch it geared more toward an American audience (the movie), which is generally considered to be a flop as it failed to resuscitate it as a series. And then in 2005, it returned under the guidance of Russell Davies, 16 years after the original run ended.
                            I wasnt Counting that movie
                            Last Movie Watched
                            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                            Life is Strange

Comment

i can think of shows that were brought to the cw, that merged on, not sure if that counts but veronica mars went from upn, as were other shows.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X