Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do TPTB even know what the term 'sexy' means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do TPTB even know what the term 'sexy' means?

And by 'TPTB', I'm being fairly generic, and not focusing on one show specifically...

There's a lot of talk at the moment, about shows being 'darker, grittier, sexier'. Now clearly, SGU was one of these shows. I remember kicking off about how I didn't want to see a repeat of 'Spooks: Code 9' with a barely out of their teenage years cast, and stupid conduct in inappropriate circumstances. Now, for SGU, I was wrong, I loved the show, however, I've noticed that now 'Primeval: New World' is also set to be darker, grittier, and indeed, sexier. Whilst I can't provide further examples, I'm sure other shows have had this description too...

Which begs the question.

Do these guys even know what sexy is? What makes a show 'sexy'. There was NOTHING 'sexy' about SGU. It was darker and grittier, certainly, but sexy?

As it stands, I can't help but wonder how 'sexy' the new Primeval show will be. It's a very emotive term, which ruffles a lot of feathers, but as far as I've seen, usually amounts to sod all...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I think showrunners just use words like dark and sexy to try and entice people to watch their shows. at best most shows have one or two cast members that can be considered sexy but it doesnt mean the show will be.
    sigpic
    The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Sexy doesn't just mean sex anymore. It's just the latest buzzword for "that's hot" or "cool cats".
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sexy/sexier might just mean the show is going to be more exciting, exactly what they meant only they will know.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Sexy doesn't just mean sex anymore. It's just the latest buzzword for "that's hot" or "cool cats".
          I think sexy has always been a term used for referring to someone/thing "that's hot" or "cool". I don't ever remember a time where it wasn't.
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

"Sexier" i.e. the cast have sexual relationships? More than by inference. Torchwood, I'm looking at you...

Comment

sexy means it will make me want to have sex with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                I think sexy has always been a term used for referring to someone/thing "that's hot" or "cool". I don't ever remember a time where it wasn't.
                Maybe maybe not. I think if you rewound to the 60s or so, 'respectable' people would look on you as having said something very scandalous, even if they understood what you meant.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I do think sexy is a buzz word. Then again, it's a relative term. Means different things to different people. They don't tout Survivor as sexy, but do you think it's a coincidence that they're ALWAYS stranded somewhere warm enough that the people (especially the ladies) can run around in their bikinis and swimwear? (or naked as some do)

Sometimes I think the term gets used to describe anything with tight tank tops, suggestive flirty dialogue...and anything else they think they can get away with. It's all about baiting people to tune in.

The 'best' long running shows have great characters and storylines and plots. But that's hard to do...so if they take the easy way out and make it 'sexy' and get a few to watch, maybe they can keep the fluffy viewers.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Marketing.
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by dacooker
                    The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Working...
                    X