Taken (Sci-Fi Miniseries)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taken (Sci-Fi Miniseries)

I have honestly tried finding a similar thread. I couldn't find one, so if the kind mods know more than I do, I won't be offended if this is merged with an already existing one.

I just finished watching the miniseries "Taken", which aired in December 2002. I have been meaning to watch it for years, since I heard that one of my favorite series, The 4400, is quite similar (and even shares many actors) with Taken.

The best miniseries ever? No. It still leaves many questions. In addition, the answer we get was not really worth 877 minutes (10 episodes at 2 broadcast hours, or about an hour and a half, each) of watching. I feel like the show could have been condensed a couple episodes and the story still would have been just as good. The ending was kind of weak as well, and I have never really been a big fan of Dakota Fanning (though that really didn't affect my thoughts on the show all THAT much).

But the show, I feel, is incredibly deep, and deals with a variety of issues. It left me guessing up until the end, for I did not know the intent of the antagonists at all until the last episode. Overall, I rate the series as a 9/10.

Any other thoughts on the show?
    Last edited by Gen. Chris; 14 February 2012, 09:59 AM.
    sigpic

I loved it, although I tend to agree with your opinion I loved it, it was not the sci fi element per se that interest me but how they told the story over generations was awesome and I think the first of its kind right? I loved especially the early years... Man I forgot so much about it I have to rewatch it someday soon I liked Joel Gretsch as the mean general... and the other actor and actresses were great too.... Damn. I really want to watch it again now, frak xD
    sigpic

Comment

A very good series. Still waiting for the second season Spielberg promised us.
      It certainly up there as one of the best mini series out their.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        A very good series. Still waiting for the second season Spielberg promised us.
        It certainly up there as one of the best mini series out their.
        there was a second season planned? I thought it was all worked out well in this mini series...
        sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed this series to, i especially loved the scene where they were held hostage, it was quite funny when he wanted to talk to the FBI, and one of the hostages said 'Who do you want to talk to Tommy Lee Jones or Will Smith' I didnt know that they had planned another, i do hope so, i'd like to know what happened when she was taken to their planet.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was meant to only be a miniseries...

Besides, they'd have to change actresses now for Allie...Dakota would probably want a ridiculous amount to come back.
            sigpic

Comment

Any other fans?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                I'm pretty sure it was meant to only be a miniseries...

Besides, they'd have to change actresses now for Allie...Dakota would probably want a ridiculous amount to come back.
                Fat chance of that happening a lot of people are still awaiting for E.T to return as well. But at least Novels and Comics about it would be great though.

It was an excellent miniseries.
                The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

I have an interest in seeing Taken, but why is it so long? Ten episodes, about ninety minutes each. It's effectively like watching ten movies. I just don't think I can do that if each episode ends with "To Be Continued..." It'd better have this big, mind-blowing, game-changing, the-Earth-will-never-be-the-same ending to warrant such a long run time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    I have an interest in seeing Taken, but why is it so long? Ten episodes, about ninety minutes each. It's effectively like watching ten movies. I just don't think I can do that if each episode ends with "To Be Continued..." It'd better have this big, mind-blowing, game-changing, the-Earth-will-never-be-the-same ending to warrant such a long run time.
                    It's worth seeing. And they don't use "to be continued" really, iirc. At least not to the degree of Heroes which used it every single episode.

It's sort of a LONG miniseries...If it had "standard" episode sizes it would have been 20 episodes at the standard run time.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's worth seeing. And they don't use "to be continued" really, iirc. At least not to the degree of Heroes which used it every single episode.
                      Well, my point is that each episode effectively ends on a cliffhanger, yes?

It's sort of a LONG miniseries...If it had "standard" episode sizes it would have been 20 episodes at the standard run time.
                      It's not really a miniseries, then? It plays out more like a one-season TV show with ten two-parters merged together as movie-event episodes. Really, you could look at it like that in terms of run time. Why did it have to play out so long? Does the pacing hold?

Comment

It's not really a miniseries, then? It plays out more like a one-season TV show with ten two-parters merged together as movie-event episodes. Really, you could look at it like that in terms of run time. Why did it have to play out so long? Does the pacing hold?
                        I'd have to watch it again to tell you about cliffhangers. I don't believe there were really any. I believe each episode came to a fairly good conclusion.

As I said in my first post, I think they could have streamlined it a bit and it would have been better. But the pacing, in my opinion is fairly quick at the start and end, but some of the middle episodes all seem like a blur now.
                        sigpic

Comment

To be fair, it's a story that spans half a century. It's not *about* game-changing events. It's about the effect that alien visitation has had on the lives of people on this planet. It's a distinctly personal story. For that reason, you cannot streamline it. It has to be a lengthy process to fully convey the intricacies of these peoples' lives.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

In other words, it's character driven rather than plot driven? Eh...

Comment

I have an interest in seeing Taken, but why is it so long? Ten episodes, about ninety minutes each. It's effectively like watching ten movies. I just don't think I can do that ihttp://forum.gateworld.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=13232790f each episode ends with "To Be Continued..." It'd better have this big, mind-blowing, game-changing, the-Earth-will-never-be-the-same ending to warrant such a long run time.
                              Spoiler:
                              From what I can remember, not really, all the secrecy surrounding these events rule out that possibility, there is no earth shattering, game changing event, but the kid demonstrate at the end reasons why we may not want to get into a shooting match with these aliens (we learn that they do not really hold any true hostility towards us and they are just using us to try and save there race) and possible also hints at where we will evolve to. An the aliens get back there vessel years latter. I may be forgetting something, I have not seen the series in a very long time.
                              This is a character drive story and for me, it character driven story at its best, my personal opinion of cause.

Comment

Working...
                              X