Do you like story arcs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like story arcs?

Do you like story arcs, or do you prefer the episodic format? I prefer the episodic format, because it gives you more variety in stories and characters for each episode. A show with story arcs could have the same number of episodes, but fewer stories are told as consequence of the story arc format. Granted, when it comes to some shows, I love story arcs. It just depends on the show's premise. When it comes to serials... the only one I liked was Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I only gave it a chance, because it was based on the movies, and it ended up being a favorite show on it's own merits.

Ultimately, I would say Stargate SG-1 had the best formula with an episodic format yet ongoing story arcs. One episode could serve as a one-off episode, or it becomes part of the story arc if you've been watching every episode.

I like the serial format better with some episodic features. Its probably the reason I liked SGU the best. It was more serialized, but still had some episodes that had little to do with the larger story. Another serialized series I liked a lot was the first season of Heroes. I watched all the way into the end of the third season, but I really should have stopped after season one.

That being said... the series needs to seem like it has a definite goal its moving towards for it to be worthwhile. I watched the first two season of Lost, but it seemed like they were making it up as they went along, so I stopped watching.

Comment

It depends, I guess. IMHO, whatever works: as long as the combination of characters, visuals, sounds, stories/plots draws me in/keeps me interested, I don't really care much about the structure.
      sigpic

Comment

Basically, you don't care so long as the writing is good, yes?

Comment

Just so long as the story arc has a believable beginning and ending and not lasting more than 3-4 episodes. Anything longer than that would be a soap opera, IMO. They are useful as backstories for characters or the main plot.

Comment

So now its not only emotion or focus on characters, but an arc that lasts longer than 4 episodes that makes something a soap? These definitions get more ridiculous by the day.

Spoiler:
            I know you said IMO.
            sigpic

Comment

I'd say I like a good balance of both, like SG1. I do prefer episodic formats over story arcs that drag on until you don't really care anymore though.

Comment

Serialized storytelling ftw. Episodic is boring--unless the writing is really phenomenal, there's nothing to invest in.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Story arcs. I usually buy my science-fiction tv shows on DVD so I don't really miss an episode which is why it would not bother me as much if I were to catch them on TV every week.

Comment

Episodic can be good, but I love story arcs. It gives a series direction rather than having the show simply jump around aimlessly. Babylon 5 is a prime example of a story arc. B5 had a few stand alone episodes here and there, especially in the first 2 seasons, and they were mostly good, but the series was at its best when doing arc episodes. Each show built on the other rather than resetting to where everything was as if nothing had happened.
                    sigpic
                    "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                    Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Since when did episodic television not have story arcs? Because a lot of episodic tv has story arcs.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I tend to enjoy large arcs interspersed with mini arcs.

Comment

I really enjoy story arcs themselves, they get me invested in the story more and I look forward to see how they're concluded.

Only thing that annoys me about them is when a show breaks for several months to a year right in the middle of one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
                            I really enjoy story arcs themselves, they get me invested in the story more and I look forward to see how they're concluded.

Only thing that annoys me about them is when a show breaks for several months to a year right in the middle of one.
                            Or the show gets cancelled, leaving you hanging. Like one show we could mention.
                            sigpic
                            "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
                            Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post

Yeah, that is the only annoying part about Story Arcs. Having them Air so far apart that nobody remembers the Storyelements anymore, though that is a big mistake that some Producers are still making. I am just asking myself if they know that they are basically killing shows this way.
                              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Working...
                              X