Godzilla Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Godzilla Movies

Are the Godzilla films worth checking out? Note that I liked the 1998 American film's portrayal of the monster over the Japanese rubber-suited monster. I also watched Godzilla: The Series when I was a kid, a follow up to the 1998 American movie. Is the Wikipedia list of Godzilla movies accurate? 28 movies is a lot to see. Can it be broken down into groups? Also, has this been one continuous 28-movie story line, or has the saga been rebooted a few times?

I cant really help you there, as ive only seen as much as you have and i barely remember the late 90's Godzilla movie but i did like that animated show as a kid
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

Hmm. I've seen some of the older stuff and the American one (the cartoon included), and I think I prefer some of the older stuff. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I recall enjoying 'Godzilla 1985' when I was a kid.
      Dang...that was a while ago. Betamax.

I wouldn't know if they're all 'worth watching', tho'. I've only seen around 3 or 4 of the Japanese ones (I think one or two were in black-and-white, and one of those involved King Kong? I forget...it's been YEARS )
      I guess I outgrew the stuff (maybe I'll get into the mood for giant monster movies again, someday...but not at the moment. Dragons in RPGs/CRPGs being an exception )
      sigpic

Comment

Godzilla RULES!!!

There is a reason he is King of the Monsters!

And the 1998 American movie sucked.
        sigpic
        Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

I like the original Japanese movies, but I haven't seen the American reboot. Oh, and the cartoon was a favorite of mine as a kid.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post
            And the 1998 American movie sucked.
            Why? Was it the portrayal of Godzilla or the overall film?

Originally posted by maneth View Post
            I haven't seen the American reboot.
            It wasn't really a reboot as the Japanese film series continued despite the American film. It was more of an American adaptation of a Japanese story.

Comment

^^^

It would have been a decent movie if they had called it anything other than Godzilla. Kind of funny, in a recent Godzilla movie, they mention "a Godzilla type monster in NYC"

Also, there is a movie where Godzilla fights "Zilla" and makes VERY quick work of him. (Zilla is the name given to the American film monster)
              sigpic

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

It would have been a decent movie if they had called it anything other than Godzilla.

Comment

My point is that ain't Godzilla. Cool looking monster, yes. Godzilla, no. If they had called it something else, I wouldn't hate it as much. But as a Godzilla movie, it sucked.
                  sigpic

Comment

My point is that ain't Godzilla. Cool looking monster, yes. Godzilla, no. If they had called it something else, I wouldn't hate it as much. But as a Godzilla movie, it sucked.

Sure the US 'Godzilla' had nice visuals (and a decent cast ), but 'it wasn't Godzilla'.

I like the clunky, almost-indestructible, fire-spewing, electric-arcs-on-the-back-glowing, guy-in-a-rubber suit Godzilla over the American agile Iguana on radioactive steriods (that croaks from a few well placed AGM/AAMs...).

*searches YouTube*

Huh...that was QUICK.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sure it's Godzilla. You may not like how Ronald Emmerich adapted the Japanese story, but it is certainly Godzilla. If they had called it something else, you wouldn't have hated it as much, so you'd hate it anyway, right? If that's the case, why does the title matter? Why does the movie suck? So far, all you've done is slam the title. A bit superficial, no?

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                      Sure the US 'Godzilla' had nice visuals (and a decent cast ), but 'it wasn't Godzilla'.
                      Explain to me how it is not Godzilla.

I like the clunky, almost-indestructible, fire-spewing, electric-arcs-on-the-back-glowing, guy-in-a-rubber suit Godzilla over the American agile Iguana on radioactive steriods (that croaks from a few well placed AGM/AAMs...).
                      I prefer the more realistic iguana-turned-monster portrayed as more of a giant animal than a monster. To me, that was far more interesting then a man in a rubber suit fighting giant monsters.

Comment

How is it not Godzilla? Simple:

This is Godzilla:
                        godz8.jpg

This is not:

600full-godzilla-photo.jpg

Godzilla tormented Japan for many many years. Not New York City.

Godzilla is a male. Not an a sexual thing that lays eggs.

Godzilla destroyed Zilla as the video clip shows.
                        sigpic

Comment

Anyway, to answer your questions, the series rocks. It has been rebooted a couple times. If you were to watch Godzilla 1985 to the present, that is one arc, I believe. Those are also the best films in the franchise in my opinion. But, the whole catalog is good to watch.

There have been several stinkers in the bunch, like Godzilla vs the Smog Monster and Godzilla's Revenge.

I didn't hate the American film. I just don't recognize it as Godzilla. If it had been called NYC Lizard or something like that (but less corny. NYC Lizard was just what popped into my head) I would have liked it alot more. However, Toho has made it canon by referencing Zilla in Godzilla 2000, I believe.

If you start watching, I would watch in the order they were released. Even in the reboots, they reference things that happened in previous arcs. I also think that if you do start watching them, you will come to appreciate the rubber suit over the US Godzilla like Gotthammer and I do.

One major difference in the Toho movies and the US movie were the origins of the monster. I don't want to play spoiler, so that's all I'll say.

The original Godzilla is a classic. Raymond Burr is in it and plays a great character.
                          sigpic

Comment

How is it not Godzilla? Simple:

This is Godzilla:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]33038[/ATTACH]

This is not:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]33039[/ATTACH]
                            It's just updated visual and special effects. I suppose the Enterprise in 2009's Star Trek isn't the Enterprise because it doesn't look as it did in the 1960's TV show, right?

Godzilla tormented Japan for many many years. Not New York City.
                            When Godzilla is made in Japan, Godzilla destroys Tokio. When Godzilla is made in America, Godzilla destroys New York City. What's the problem? It's an adaptation, not a remake.

Godzilla is a male. Not an a sexual thing that lays eggs.
                            It's a monster, not a person. An asexual egg-laying creature's more interesting.

You have articulated differences between the American adaptation and the Japanese series. However, there are often such differences between an adaptation and it's source or a remake and the original film. Such differences do not denounce the remake or adaptation.

Shifting back the topic being viewing the Japanese series...

Anyway, to answer your questions, the series rocks. It has been rebooted a couple times. If you were to watch Godzilla 1985 to the present, that is one arc, I believe. Those are also the best films in the franchise in my opinion. But, the whole catalog is good to watch.
                            Would it be worth seeing all 28 films, beginning with the original 50's movie?

There have been several stinkers in the bunch, like Godzilla vs the Smog Monster and Godzilla's Revenge.
                            Blah, I like bad sequels as much as the good sequels. I usually only ignore sequels if they're direct-to-video or are sequels in name only.

I didn't hate the American film. I just don't recognize it as Godzilla. If it had been called NYC Lizard or something like that (but less corny. NYC Lizard was just what popped into my head) I would have liked it alot more.
                            Essentially, you're saying it was a good movie but a poor adaptation, yes?

If you start watching, I would watch in the order they were released. Even in the reboots, they reference things that happened in previous arcs. I also think that if you do start watching them, you will come to appreciate the rubber suit over the US Godzilla like Gotthammer and I do.
                            I figure the order of which the movies released would be the way to go. How often was the series rebooted? Should I just break it down into watching five movies at a time?

Comment

I think the first film is one of the best, so I would start at the beginning. I think it was rebooted 3 or 4 times.

And, yes. the US film was a good movie, just a poor adaptation.
                              The current arc is 7 or 8 movies long. If you were to start with the original, then skip to Godzilla 1985, and watch the rest, that is one arc. 1985 kind of references the original, and Raymond Burr is in it reviving his character. Still, I would start at the beginning.

5 at a time would work. You're making me want to do a Godzilla marathon myself. lol
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X