Other fantasy style cultures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other fantasy style cultures?

So I have lately been reading a bunch of fantasy novels and I found that most of the books that I read that was fantasy all seem to take place in the same cliche fantasy novel of medieval European style culture. So I have been looking for fantasy novels that were unique and different from all the others and I happen to stumble on Raymond E. Fiest Riftwar Saga which is basically a blend of just medieval fantasy Europe style cultures vs Oriental style cultures so I have been looking for other fantasy cultures with different settings.

Are there any fantasy books out there where there are different cultures instead of medieval fantasy Europe settings like: Oriental,Egyptian,Greek, Aztec,etc?
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...m/Earth001.jpg

There are some, but I can't think of any at the moment. Not unless you count Pratchett's Discworld, which has all kinds of funny cultures loosely based on Earth low-tech ones. But I don't think that's quite what you mean because the cultures aren't developed in any depth, just as backgrounds for characters. "Pyramids" is loosely based on the Egyptian culture.
    sigpic

Comment

Juliet E McKenna's Aldabreshin Compass series. 4 books.
      Set in a tropical type archipelago. All but a couple of the characters (main or background) are black. No snowy mountains or wide grassy plains full of Horselords and photocopied Vikings.

Kate Elliot's Crossroads series. Currently 3 books.
      Set in The Hundred. Again, all but a few of the characters are brown or oriental. The cultures are more eastern and far eastern. Plus, there are Reeves (kind of like a police force or sheriffs) that ride giant eagles.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X