Gears of War -- discussion/appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gears of War -- discussion/appreciation thread

Don't think we have one of these yet....

Awesomesauce games, even better trailers. And books and comics too, of which I have checked out none but I'm sure someone has. I mean hey, Karen Traviss left the Star Wars EU for this franchise!

So with Gears 3 just a week or so away, I thought we should have a thread. Have at it!

Gears of War -- Mad World
    Spoiler:

Gears of War 2 -- The Last Day
    Spoiler:

Gears of War 3 -- Ashes to Ashes
    Spoiler:

Gears of War 3 -- Dust to Dust
    Spoiler:

Between the 3 games, 5 novels, and 11 comic story arcs (all of these...SO FAR), there's even a Gears of War Wikia, the Gearspedia to keep track of it all
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Bought the Triple pack about a month ago. Both games and all the DLC for just over $20. What a deal. I had already played the first one several yrs ago.

I'm playing 2 right now as they have boosted the XP on the 360 until the 20th and horde is nothing but tickers so I'm trying to knockout a bunch of achievements.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
      Bought the Triple pack about a month ago. Both games and all the DLC for just over $20. What a deal. I had already played the first one several yrs ago.

I'm playing 2 right now as they have boosted the XP on the 360 until the 20th and horde is nothing but tickers so I'm trying to knockout a bunch of achievements.
      had the same idea, trying for all the remaining horde acheivements, doubt i'll be getting seriously, and i havent done campaign on insanity

Comment

I'm not even bothering with Seriously. I'm only at 7,000 right now and not going to bother with getting my wings either as I'm just at level 48. I went from like 25 to that in two days so I'll be happy with 50. I've done the first two acts on insane and then saw they had this XP boost. Getting through wave after wave of tickers is tedious and boring though....
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Beating the campaign on Insane isn't so bad if you do it co-op with a competent friend. I've done both on Insane that way, and we're planning on doing the same for GoW3
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
            I'm not even bothering with Seriously. I'm only at 7,000 right now and not going to bother with getting my wings either as I'm just at level 48. I went from like 25 to that in two days so I'll be happy with 50. I've done the first two acts on insane and then saw they had this XP boost. Getting through wave after wave of tickers is tedious and boring though....
            yeah its just a ridiculous acheivement, im at rank 36, yeah it is pretty tedious im just gonna do the first 10 wave acheivements

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
              yeah its just a ridiculous acheivement, im at rank 36, yeah it is pretty tedious im just gonna do the first 10 wave acheivements
              Yeah those are the ones I'm doing as well. Though yesterday I spent some time playing KoTH.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Beating the campaign on Insane isn't so bad if you do it co-op with a competent friend. I've done both on Insane that way, and we're planning on doing the same for GoW3
              I'm sure it is, but I don't have anyone I play with online. I know one trick in order to get through it really fast is to have one person play on casual.

I soloed my way through insane on GOW 1 though I'm stuck at the very end with beating RAAM. Bleh. I finally beat him on hardcore after like 50 tries. I'm sure I'll get stuck on 2 at that part where you have to ride the Reaver. Though some how I managed to beat without knowing that there was a button that cooled your gun. lol. Didn't discover that until I started my insane play through. I was expecting some big boss battle at the end of 2 after RAAM in the first one, but the one for 2 was kind of a joke.
              IMO always implied.

Comment

You don't need them to be online; it's actually easiest with your co-op partner in the room doing it split-screen There were parts that were HARD to be sure (riding the huge truck and having to shoot down the missiles coming at you springs to mind, *RAGE*) but it's a lot easier that way.

And I agree completely about the GoW2 ending. Me and my buddy were playing, beat it, and then were like "wait, that's it?" At least RAAM was a bit of a challenge (not 50 tries hard, but a challenge anyway ), but the end of GoW2 was shockingly easy.

Comment

I've never played this series but I saw the commercial on TV for GoW 3 and it looked pretty bad***!
                  sigpic

Comment

Gears 1 made me buy an xbox. Can't wait to get my hands on 3, but if it ends like Halo, I won't be a happy camper !
                    sigpic
                    What a show !

Comment

If Gears is anything at all like Halo, I will be a very angry camper

Comment

Just have a horrible feeling they're going to go down that road. Too busy this year, so I don't see myself getting into the multiplayer, so the campaign better be spot on ! 4 player co-op is going to be deadly !
                        sigpic
                        What a show !

Comment

IDK i just couldnt get into this series, i still have gears 1 but never finished it, i might replay it next year or something, see if i can get into it
                          Last Movie Watched
                          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                          Life is Strange

Comment

it sort of feels to me that the COG arent exactly the good guys, they were an authoritarian state even before emergence day, in the pendulum wars it sounds like the people they were fighting valued personal freedoms more, they were imperialistic, places like the south islands were tai is from were conquered territories, and to top it all off they used a doomsday weapon against their own world

Comment

So is everyone enjoying Gears 3? My friend and I beat Act 4 on Hardcore last night (Insanity is locked till you beat the game once ). So far I'm quite enjoying it, even though it doesn't quite feel as dark and intense as the first two. We've run into a couple of bugs, but otherwise the game is very polished.

At least one very sad part, which was very well executed.

Comment

Working...
                              X