The New 52s - The DC Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New 52s - The DC Universe

So I thought I creat a new thread for the 52s releases of dc! I do not plan on reading them all but I think it's a great way to introduce new readers (like me more or less) to the dc universe. So far I read the superman action comics 1# and it's highly enjoyable and a fresh take on the superman character t least if you haven't read many comics as I have, I also plan on following up justice league and batman detective comics, which one will you read or can you recommend for new readers like me? I saw that marvel is btw planing next year something similar as well with the "season one" issues, what dou think of this idea in general? Good or bad or unnecessary in your eyes?
    sigpic

I decided against picking up any of the new books because I feel like I had been reading a book series and then a new book comes out and it changes everything I know. As an example, lets say you were reading Harry Potter and on the 6th book they change it so Harry is American rather then British and he isnt a Wizard but a werewolf. Thats how I feel. I used to know these characters and I just dont anymore because they are not the characters I have been reading for the past 6 years.

Dc had something amazing going on with characters growing up and creating a legacy. I liked that Barry Allen, Clark Kent, and Wally West were married, I also liked that Wally West existed. I miss the JSA and that the DC universe had such a rich history... now its just not the same.

Even if they do change in back with in a year I may not return because if this is how they treat the fans then I dont want to waste my money on them.

Comment

I've read the new Detective Comics #1. I liked it.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

No LOBO.

No care.
        I like Sharky
        sigpic

Comment

Man, Lobo hasn't had his own series in like 12 years

Anyhow I read a whole bunch of the new #1s yesterday, with somewhat mixed opinions. So far...

Batwoman #0
          I know it was a solicitation issue from January, but since the #1 issue is going to be part of the New 52 I figure it fits in anyway. I was intrigued, even if not totally captivated. I'm interested in giving this series a chance.

Justice League #1
          Quite liked this one, even though it suffered from the all-too-common comic downfall of being maddeningly short. I love one-shots and graphic novels exactly because of cliffhanging endings like this--I don't have to deal with them.

Action Comics #1
          Alright....young Superman. Not sure what the point of this is, or why I even finished reading it.

Animal Man #1
          Mostly a yawn. There's a really phenomenal dream sequence near the end, but I find both the character and his abilities colossally boring.

Batgirl #1
          Enjoyed it. I'm a little puzzled that it seems to still accept The Killing Joke as canon, but that Barbara can walk again because of "a miracle", but I still liked it.

Batwing #1
          I was really a bit torn on this one. He's an interesting new character, and the artwork is just fantastic, but he's a bit far-removed from the rest of the DCverse. I'm going to keep following it to see if he integrates better, but if not I'll probably drop it.

Detective Comics #1
          The real gem so far IMO. Interesting story, cliffhanger that's intriguing rather than maddening, and terrific art.

Green Arrow #1
          Not really wowed by this one yet, but I'll give it a few more issues. It has potential, but it hasn't realized it yet.

Hawk and Dove #1
          Zzzzzzzzzz. I was surprised to see Deadman make an appearance, but what a total yawner. Boring story, boring characters.

Justice League International #1
          I found this one a little all over the place. There's a bunch of the characters of the new JLI that are really uninteresting, but then there's some good solid friction among others. It's an interesting concept in general, we'll have to see how well it plays out.

So I guess of the new #1s that have been released, I still need to read Men of War, OMAC, Static Shock, Stormwatch, and Swamp Thing. And the only one of those I'm excited for is Static Shock
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm not interested. The biggest thing that turned me off was the reboot and marketing to a younger audience.

There should be nothing wrong with having older and mature super-heroes, and I don't understand what the stigma is.

But people hate change.

I'm also burned out on reboots.

Sometimes it feels like a kick in the butt to longtime loyal fans when new writers come in and changes everything just because. Which is why they call it a reboot.

Comment

Yes movie wise I'm burnt out also with reboots and remakes there a still some cool original stuff which I have not seen (Casablanca etc.) or read so I'll stick with them now for a while and just ignore the reboots thingy, as long as they do not remake or reboot back to the future I'll be fine (said it in a earlier thread I think)
              sigpic

Comment

I'm not too sure that this reboot was necessary, but we fans can't do anything about it but read or not read the new titles. As long as the material is good, I'll read it.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man were both kinda boring. I've read the definitive Alan Moore and Grant Morrison runs on these respective titles and I'm sadly not impressed. I'll give them until the end of their first arcs, but I'm not hopeful.

Action Comics was fun, though the activated 'city' was also boring. No blimps firing plasma bolts? No force fields? Still, the 'not more powerful than a locomotive' twist was nice... although the exact sequence of events during that (literal) train wreck was a bit confusing. Being a Morrison book, some of his dialogue seemed completely left field and out of the blue and plain weird [Lois and Jimmy, for example]. The art was nice and Lex was written brilliantly. I'm looking forward to issue 2.

Justice League. Meh. I'm wondering how long it'll take for Jim Lee to fall behind and have to get fill-in artists.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                  some of his dialogue seemed completely left field and out of the blue and plain weird [Lois and Jimmy, for example].
                  YES. Some of that was friggin' bizarre!

Has anyone checked out the next set of #1s that came out yesterday? I 'got' a few of them but didn't get to reading them last night. I'm looking forward to B&R, Batwoman, and the Lantern stuff. I've never really gotten into the Lantern stuff before, but I'm interested in giving it a shot this time.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    YES. Some of that was friggin' bizarre!

Has anyone checked out the next set of #1s that came out yesterday? I 'got' a few of them but didn't get to reading them last night. I'm looking forward to B&R, Batwoman, and the Lantern stuff. I've never really gotten into the Lantern stuff before, but I'm interested in giving it a shot this time.
                    I just bought a digital copy from green lantern #1 quite excited, I wanted to stop reading it because the movie was well.... Not true to it's original source, so I hope we see someday a true green lantern or more a better sequel with a director who truly likes the material
                    sigpic

Comment

I find it a little odd that there's going to be several concurrent Lantern lines (Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, New Guardians, and Red Lanterns) but I figure I'll probably just treat it the same way as I did Stargate when there were two of its shows running.

Comment

Read OMAC and Men of War last night. I found OMAC a bit dull, but with just enough hint of an overarching story that I might follow it for a while. I really dug Men of War though, I'm looking forward to more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          I find it a little odd that there's going to be several concurrent Lantern lines (Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, New Guardians, and Red Lanterns) but I figure I'll probably just treat it the same way as I did Stargate when there were two of its shows running.
                          Yeah, that was odd for me as well... and was Men of War really good?
                          sigpic

Comment

I've wasted too much time and money on DC. I gave up on them a long time ago. From what I hear, they got a lot of great writers for the relaunch but it's not the writers I have a problem with, it's the crappy editors and their unnecessary meddling. The fact that they still haven't fixed Cassandra Cain does not bode well.

The DCAU people and Rocksteady are doing a much better job than DC.

Comment

Of course they are. Rocksteady only has two titles to worry about, the DCAU has been pretty much finished since 2006, and both were able to pick their own start points. They would have an easier time of managing things than having to coordinate 52 monthly comic lines plus one-shots, all in the context of past continuities.

Not to say that sizeable goofs in continuity are good or acceptable, but comparing the two is a bit like saying your brother provides better tech support than Microsoft does. Duh, so to speak

Comment

Working...
                              X