The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nine Lives of Chloe King

This is great new show. Honestly it starts out a little shaky, but has matured and become one of my favorite sic fi/fantasy shows.

Nine Lives is about a girl called Chloe who discovers on her 16th birthday she is not human but Mai, an ancient race, descendants of the Egyptian Goddess Bastet. She also discovers that she is the 'Uniter' a unique type of Mai written in prophecies to save the Mai and human races. Whilst this is going on she is trained by other Mai living in San Francisco with her(great backdrop for the show btw) to hone in her superpowers which include enhanced speed, strength agility, hearing, night vision and oh yeah... claws. She is also being hunted by The Order an old human society who have sketchy motives. The show has a great tone to it, it has been likened to Buffy a lot by critics and has been getting great reviews, its got great lead actors who have brilliant chemistry, and great Banter. The fighter sequences are also excellent, again having started out not so good.

Give the show a chance, make sure you don't just judge it on the pilot. You can catch up on hulu/itunes or youtube.

Its on tuesday 9/8c on ABCFAMILY. This week is the season finale. (6pm for west coast directive viewers)

ABCFAMILY along with MTV are killing it in terms of young adult shows, don't let the 'family' fool you. CW is dead now.

Enjoy and I hope you guys like it! Check out this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4OOc_IYawI

I tried watching the pilot, but I had a hard time sitting through it and had to stop watching it shortly after the girl(Chloe) acted completely pathetic(imo) around the guy who walked into the store she worked at to buy a hat. I also really hated the scenes at the club before that. I didn't like how desperate to get a boyfriend the main character seemed, or that every male character was drooling over her. ( I didn't really care if it was because of the cat thing, I just found it really annoying to watch.) I'm not really a teen romance fan, and what I saw of the first episode seemed to focus on that.

I was actually thinking of giving it another chance and at least watching the pilot all the way through, because I thought the series premise sounded kind of interesting and a lot of series get better after the pilot.

I recently started watching Switched at Birth on ABCFamily. I've only seen the first 4 episodes, and I actually like it quite a bit.
    sigpic

Comment

I've been watching it, but I don't expect it to get renewed (the 18-49 ratings have been terrible). And while there's aspects of the show I enjoy, and I think the concept is intriguing, I think a lot of it has been pretty poorly done, and I'm not surprised that it hasn't seemed to find an audience. And the love triangle is excruciating. I realize I'm about two decades beyond the target audience for the show, so I suppose my opinion on that part might be skewed, but the Chloe/Brian thing has been tedious beyond belief.

I do like her relationship with her mom. I don't like that they seem determined to keep the Mai thing a secret between them. Secrets as a short term arc I don't mind, but I tend to get really annoyed with keeping secrets from your nearest and dearest becoming a long-running plot point.

I like Alek. I think I'd like a slow building thing between him and Chloe versus the weird thing that she seems to have with Brian (and really, a college boy chasing a sixteen year old girl? No one finds that at all troubling, not even her mother?)

The Mai mythology is interesting - I just wish they'd get into it a little more. There's a lot of questions about the Mai and the Uniter that I wish Chloe was asking.

And I like Chloe herself - I wouldn't be watching the show if I didn't. But...as a successor to Buffy, which is how the show was advertised, I think it falls pretty short. Chloe doesn't have the constant battle and threat in her life that Buffy did....the Order is there, but they're kinda just hanging around in the background not doing anything since
      Spoiler:
      the first assassin got killed off in the second episode.
      They're not really that threatening of an enemy, not like the vampires that Buffy was fighting every minute pretty much. Not to mention that I think they must not have much of a special effects budget, because they keep the scenes of her fighting or using her powers to a minimum.
      Last edited by Killdeer; 13 August 2011, 08:38 PM.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

i just started watching it today. i've seen the first 4 eps, but it seems that all hulu has is the first 5 . so after the next one i'm not sure how to watch it.

but anyhow, i really like it! it kind of does have the buffy but more of a roswell feel. i love her relationship with her mother, but it was predictable that she wouldn't tell her anything they never do (at least where i am so far). her relationship with her friends are stereotyped for these shows, but that's okay . and i agree alec and chloe would make a great couple, especially the way they argue works for shows. her and (forgot his name) are kind of boring lol.
        Last edited by blueray; 16 August 2011, 11:47 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I watched the pilot a while back via Hulu. As much as I wanted to like it, I simply couldn't. I found it very cliche and juvenile.
          Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
          Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Working...
          X