PDA

View Full Version : My replica/cast from screen used Wraith Stunner

kwalsh000
July 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hey all,
Not sure if I posed this before but heres some pics of the casts from my screen used pieces. Will be trying on others to match the more grey base coat. Hope ya like

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx115/kwalsh000/IMG_0512.jpg

General Jumper One
July 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM
looks awesome

Jian
July 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
Did you have any issues with your mold material trying to stick to the paint on the original?

LtColCarter
July 21st, 2011, 11:17 PM
Those look really cool! :)

kwalsh000
July 22nd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone.

I did indeed have problems Jian. Alot of paint on my original came off even with alot of mold release and wax etc. Thats one of the risks with molding anything screen used is that you may damage your original. Have 2 more cast up that I have to test out different colours. Ori helmet is in the mold as we speak too

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
July 22nd, 2011, 04:20 PM
What did you use to make a mould?

Jian
July 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone.

I did indeed have problems Jian. Alot of paint on my original came off even with alot of mold release and wax etc. Thats one of the risks with molding anything screen used is that you may damage your original. Have 2 more cast up that I have to test out different colours. Ori helmet is in the mold as we speak too

I have some control crystals and some replicator pieces I'm going to make copies of. I think the control crystals should be okay because all the details are either etched in or on a vinyl sticker, but I expect the paint will probably come off the replicator pieces. I think might just use the original replicator piece as a reference and make a copy out of paper clay and do a casting of it. That dosen't really work for something as complex as the wraith stunner though. :S

kwalsh000
July 23rd, 2011, 02:45 AM
The crystals should be fine if they are smooth. Standard RTV silicone is what i used for the mold but the paint wasnt the best on the piece which didnt help and due to it being a foam piece the paint didnt seem to be adhered all that well either so the silicone just took off the chunks that were already loose. Still it is always a risk with screen used props if molding them,

Jian
July 24th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I'm planning on using RTV silicone also, both because I love the stuff and because I bought a gallon for a project the I ended up changing materials on and now I need to use it before it goes bad.

Did you retouch the paint job on the original to fix what got pulled off by the mold?

kwalsh000
July 24th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Nah I left the original as is (no intention of selling at any stage so doesnt bother me that much ) and due to the paint being flakey it would require a complete strip and repaint to look right.

kwalsh000
July 26th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Someone wanted to see a silver one so thought i would paint one up. From left to right the first 2 need touch ups before sealing the paint, and last 2 are still WIP's
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx115/kwalsh000/IMG_0516.jpg

LtColCarter
July 26th, 2011, 05:59 AM
They look awesome. I wish I had the time/talent to make something like that.

Stitch
August 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I will be making the custom human holsters and also helping with USA sales so save on shipping costs... More to come!

Falcon Horus
August 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I will be making the custom human holsters and also helping with USA sales so save on shipping costs... More to come!

Now, there's something I'd be interested in... of course, also in acquiring an actual Wraith stunner. :)

auroraclass1
August 26th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Cool u should try and make the replicators ancient gun next those always look cool.

Stitch
September 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I will check, but I do not think there will be any left in the 3rd Propworx LIVE auction on Oct 1st! Getting a REAL one will take some effort and some serious cash. A replicator stunner has been kicking on ebay for weeks, but seller wants like 4K for it!

annmariebod
January 12th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Hi there babe

can you let me know if you have any for sale please . been looking for a year now please help .

kind regards
annmarie

Stitch
February 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM
I FINALLY tracked down some the plastic material needed to make the human holsters for these! Will try to have some made this summer!

http://archive.propworx.com/1012/659

Is anyone interested in a holster to go with the stunner?

Falcon Horus
February 8th, 2014, 02:51 AM
I'd be interested. :)