Durham Red movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durham Red movie

First of all, does anyone know who/what Durham Red is? Secondly do you think it would be possible for the character to have a movie based either loosely or strictly on the comic book character's adventures? With the recent derivative movies that "kiss" Durham Red's own story in so many ways would it still be possible to make yet another comic book character come to life on the big screen? As far as I can remember she was the first butt kicking female vampire, but would obviously get compared to Selene in the Underworld movie series (Selene is pretty much 'Red, but less creative). Although in my opinion 'Red could have a much better movie than the other comic/fantasy types such as Underworld, Resident Evil, Ultra Violet, and such, do you think there's the room or the interest in a bigger better and Durham Red based film that follows the recent "female butt kicker" template?
    Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Hi there.
    I know who Durham Red is.
    She is a mutant vampire bounty hunter who appeared in the '2000ad' story 'Strontium Dog'
    And was a member of the SD Agency. (SD = Search and Destroy) They bought criminals to justice.
    Bringing them in Dead or Alive. But usually dead.

She went on to get her own strip in the comic.

She partnered Johnny Alpha (The Strontium Dog) in a mission to rescue Ronald Reagan.
    Strontium Dogs are all Mutants.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
      Hi there.
      I know who Durham Red is.
      She is a mutant vampire bounty hunter who appeared in the '2000ad' story 'Strontium Dog'
      And was a member of the SD Agency. (SD = Search and Destroy) They bought criminals to justice.
      Bringing them in Dead or Alive. But usually dead.

She went on to get her own strip in the comic.

She partnered Johnny Alpha (The Strontium Dog) in a mission to rescue Ronald Reagan.
      Strontium Dogs are all Mutants.
      The story has been expanded far beyond that in a series of books. That continuation in a nutshell:

'Red got bored of the current world and volunteers to go into stasis, wakes up a few thousand years into the future and finds herself a religious deity revered by mutants and hated by humans. Having been a messiah type figure to all mutants that opposed "clean" humans in a great war that had raged for centuries but was concluded in a truce between factions, her awakening threatened to start that war all over again before she prevents it. She then decides to go exploring the new universe with two "fanboys" and another book was written with almost the same war driven plot as the first.

I'm just starting the first book but it looks like it would make a pretty good movie. I've read the reviews of the books and they claim "going for B action movie" type plot but I think it's certainly as well written as some of the less intelligent action movies that have recently been released, maybe even has more potential to be adapted to a film effort.
      Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

Thank you for the 'heads up' about the continuation.

I have to admit to stopping reading '2000AD' just after I left school.
        So my knowledge is a little rusty.
        "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
        Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
        Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
        Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
        I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
        To thy own self... Be true
        May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
          Thank you for the 'heads up' about the continuation.

I have to admit to stopping reading '2000AD' just after I left school.
          So my knowledge is a little rusty.
          Mine may be a bit inaccurate. What I know of the character so far is mainly from a friend of mine that's into Durham Red pretty hardcore, and reading web reviews. I've got two books in the mail though. Sounds like an awesome character. I'm kind of surprised no one has made a movie out of it. It would fit pretty darned perfect with the Mila Jovovich and Kate Beckinsale fantasy action flicks. Although I think having a few books and some comics to establish a script would make Durham Red a better franchise than any of the other similar movies.

Comment

Working...
          X