This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolfenstein 3D vs Doom

Does anyone remember an old game called Wolfenstein 3D? I just realized that the Doom controls are functionally identical to those used by Wolfenstein. Can anyone give me release dates for both the original Wolfenstein and Doom games? Thanks a load.
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

wolfenstein was out in 92 i believe..

doom in 93

they're the grand daddies of the fps so it's not surprising they have many similarities.

i prefered woflenstein to doom though.
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

They were also both made.....and their sequels are still made by ID Software. Wolfenstein 3D is actually not the first game in the series. This is strictly talking about FPS's though.

There were two (at least) games prior to Wolf 3D, made by Muse Software for the Commodore 64 (and maybe one of the Atari consoles, not quite sure).....they were overhead shooters, with the same basic story. Released in 1983 (Castle Wolfenstein)and 1984 (Beyond Castle Wolfenstein).

To my knowledge Doom was the original in it's series.

Comment

Ah Wolf 3D! Such a great game! I remember the first time I competed that, was really fun. I wished that I had the other installments!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Wolfenstein 3D was the first real computer game i ever owned. (It was also the first game i ever bought with my own money). It's the first FPS shooter that started it all. I have all six episodes of Wolf-3d. I also have the expansion (well, not really an expansion in the traditional sense. More than anything, it was a totally separate game in and of itself) called Spear of Destiny. I also have a nifty little utility called "Wolf-Edit" that lets you build custom levels (it's a pretty rudimentary editor, but it works).

I still play Wolf-3D, more for nostalgic fun than anything.

As for the Doom and Wolf-3D controls, ID software probably decided to use the same basic control system. It makes learning to play the games easier. If you know how to play one game, you can easily play others. It's a tactic that some game publishers use to help make their games more enjoyable. Sometimes it's frustrating to get the latest and greatest game, only to have to study the instruction manual for an hour just so you can figure out how to play the game!

Comment

As TechnoWraith said, both were made by ID software and they are considerred the start fo the 3-D FPS (obviously with Wolf being first and Doom following after the success of Wolf). And since both were made by the same company that's why the controlls are smilar/the same.

Comment

Wolfenstein is far better, especially the next-gen version: Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Good guy, Bad guy.....
              I'm the one with the gun.

Comment

Working...
              X