Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC comic reboot coming in August

http://blastr.com/2011/06/dc-reboots-every-superher.php

Like clockwork, every summer sees the release of the latest batch of superhero movies to (almost) guaranteed success. But just because people come out in throngs to see Green Lantern on the big screen doesn't mean they'll buy his comics. Looks like DC is willing to gamble everything to change that.

Beginning on Aug. 31, every major DC comic will be going back to issue #1. Major characters' costumes will be altered, their backstories changed and the entire DC universe will never be the same.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

DC publishes about 30 titles in the mainstream universe right now. They'll effectively double the number of titles they put out to make up the 52 #1s. I see many titles getting cancelled after issue #12... unless that's the plan a la Marvel's Heroes Reborn or Age of Apocalypse.

I think it's a pretty dumb move. It's like DC has to have a continuity cleaning every 5 years and things are still messed up, while Marvel has yet to have a company-wide 'Crisis' and has wonderful continuity via their sliding timescale.

In the end, it really doesn't matter to me because I don't read anything regularly from DC nowadays, but I was looking forward to Action Comics #1000... just because it would have been issue #1000.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I really don't understand. I mean, Final Crisis wasn't that long ago and the current continuity has just gone through a slew of huge and quite game-changing events. Now they're just going to reset them all? So much for Blackest Night, Grounded, Batman Inc., and Flashpoint.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

DC is so confusing for me to follow nowadays. I plan on reentering the comic book world soon(mainly collected graphic novels instead of individual issues) and I might just focus on everything previous to this reboot first(unless there is some really good stories). And they changed everybody's iconic costumes?!

I'm glad Marvel hasn't done a universe-wide reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          DC is so confusing for me to follow nowadays. I plan on reentering the comic book world soon(mainly collected graphic novels instead of individual issues) and I might just focus on everything previous to this reboot first(unless there is some really good stories). And they changed everybody's iconic costumes?!

I'm glad Marvel hasn't done a universe-wide reboot.
          Marvel did that with the Ultimate Universe in early 2000 kinda, right?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
            Marvel did that with the Ultimate Universe in early 2000 kinda, right?
            Well it wasn't a Reboot of the main continuity universe. The Ultimate universe is completely independent of the main Earth universe. The main universe is Earth-616 and the Ultimate universe is Earth-1610 I think. Some people don't like to call them that but its a way to show that "616" IS the main Marvel Universe.

Comment

Exactly, ReplicaTodd.
              The Ultimate universe, What If? issues and DC's Elseworlds are great vehicles for telling alternate reality stories. All of DC's recent [even the original Crisis] and seemingly constant continuity cleaning can be confusing for new readers, not good jump-on points. Superman's origin has been revamped 3 times in the last 10 years!
              Spoiler:
              I really love the one shown in Superman: Secret Origin, though; it was a rather good and touching story that was modern yet timeless.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

To me, and I am no experts in comics or on DC or Marvel.

But Marvel seem to have long term plans for the future of all of there major franchises at least in the movie arena. DC does not at the moment, it seem they are all over the place, with no central vision. At least from what I can see.

Comment

Working...
                X