MGM Television Partners With The Team Behind 'The Tudors' For Viking Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MGM Television Partners With The Team Behind 'The Tudors' For Viking Series

If they have no more interest in Stargate then why not sell it to a channel that would want to do something with it

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/mgm-...viking-series/

Good luck to this show

You're aware that MGM Television's IP does not consist solely of Stargate, right?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Okay so screw MGM altogether how about that

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
        Okay so screw MGM altogether how about that
        Because they want to do other tv shows as well? Making a show requires a channel to air it on. And the only channel in recent years that seem to have shown any interest in Stargate is the syfilis channel *hawk spit*. Historical epics have always been among the bread and butter of channels like Showtime and HBO and it's not surprising to see them want to do another. Convincing them to do scifi will be harder, and like it or not, they would probably never have a Stargate show on channels like that, the Stargate name itself carries too much baggage, being perceived as a very "nerdy" franchise.
        Last edited by The Mighty 6 platoon; 24 May 2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Sound cool.

Through I do wish MGM could have spent the money on giving SGU a descent end, I can understand why they would want to move into a new franchise altogether, after all MGM television does not have a lot of properties to my knowledge. So giving the team there big and new to invest in might freshen them up for a new stargate series in the future. An the cash to do it.

Comment

Vikings are flippin awesome. So I see no reason to NOT check this out!

Comment

historical dramas are hot right now. The tudors, the Borgias, etc...costume dramas do good

and hey, people do actually learn stuff from them too
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i'll be first in line for this one thats for sure!

Comment

I might check it out. I'm always looking for something interesting to watch. MGM will bring Stargate back when it's ready and not before then. Until then all we can do is wait.
                  "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                  - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Rome, never watched the Tudors but it seemed like it was too much of a "romantic" historical drama. That leaves me unsure of how well the writers will handle this show.

I need to hear more information about the show before I decide to devote time to watching it. It's interesting that they are committed to making a show without a network attached.

I do think that MGM should have funded one last movie to wrap up SG:U, but given their financial woes I can forgive them for it.
                    Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Sounds interesting. Could be worth a look-see once it hits the screen. Though if the Vikings have those completely historically inaccurate horned helmets in this, I won't even give it a glance.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                        Vikings are flippin awesome. So I see no reason to NOT check this out!
                        It's about Vikings, it's probably going to be on a premium channel like HBO or Showtime and you don't like lots of sex and violence in your shows, I can see a problem right there. I imagine it's going to be jam packed full of people having their heads caved in by axes and naked women.
                        Originally posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
                        I'm a huge fan of Rome, never watched the Tudors but it seemed like it was too much of a "romantic" historical drama. That leaves me unsure of how well the writers will handle this show.
                        Vikings weren't that big on romance. The Tudors obviously focused a lot on romantic themes because Henry VIII is known for his many wives and mistresses. That being said even the Tudors had lots of battles and killings in it. The Viking's meanwhile are not known for romance, but instead for raping and pillaging their way across Scotland and Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                          It's about Vikings, it's probably going to be on a premium channel like HBO or Showtime and you don't like lots of sex and violence in your shows, I can see a problem right there. I imagine it's going to be jam packed full of people having their heads caved in by axes and naked women.
                          Oh....right. You know me well.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            Oh....right. You know me well.
                            You know in retrospect, it would have been a lot more fun if I'd kept my mouth shut and just let you watch, just so that afterwards I could hear the outrage from you when you sat down to an evening's entertainment and ended up watching "the adventures of Olaf the Hairy and his fun times raping and pillaging."

Comment

Interesting and expensive for a series. I'll pass. I like stories that involve the Vikings, but not that much.

Comment

Working...
                              X