Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reform Syfy Now Uberthread - Syfy Boycott/Ultimatum thread

Hello all,

Like many of you, I have had it with Syfy (formerly the Sci-Fi channel) and their arrogance. As such I am starting an official boycott of the network in response to their recent actions (starting with the "Re-branding effort" and culminating in a particularly arrogant and disrespectful letter written to fans of a particular show popular on this site. I'm just getting things running, but I wanted to start a thread so that when we open our doors the forum doesn't get flooded with new threads in every board.

The URL for the boycotts website is: http://www.reformsyfynow.com .

If you are as angry with the network as I am, please join me in officially boycotting Syfy.

Important Note: This is not simply in response to the recent SGU cancellation, or the insulting letter issued by the network in response to fans attempts to have the show revived. The boycott is in response to the direction they have decided to take the network (away from traditional science fiction), the absolute disregard to their fans when planning shows, and their unwillingness to accept that fans of the Genre have different expectations than a traditional viewing audience.
    Last edited by Ekras; 15 May 2011, 04:18 PM. Reason: Website now online

To be perfectly honest, I don't think Syfy will be much bothered (if they pay any attention at all) to your boycott.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:07 AM. Reason: edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      To be perfectly honest, I don't think Syfy will be much bothered (if they pay any attention at all) to your boycott.
      Like all boycotts, they will only be bothered if it affects their bottom line. If their other shows lose viewers, and their new shows all fail than yeah they likely will be bothered. Will it be enough to change the network? That's the real question. Many of the fans already stopped watching the network - this is a way for all of us to band together and encourage others to do the same.
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:08 AM. Reason: edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

Unless you somehow manage to get several hundred thousand or more current Syfy channel viewers involved, they wont even notice that a boycott is taking place.
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:09 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanith0709 View Post
          Unless you somehow manage to get several hundred thousand or more current Syfy channel viewers involved, they wont even notice that a boycott is taking place.
          That is what a boycott usually entails....

Hey guys can we stop with the nay-saying? I am aware of what needs to happen, how many people we need to reach to have even the slightest chance of an impact, etc. . The point of this thread is not to discuss the pros/cons of a boycott, but to discuss the best ways to go about it, ways to hurt Syfy's bottom line, and what kind of demands we should reasonably expect them to meet.
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:10 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

I would wager even more then that. You would need to get millions. Given how most people are casual viewers and just move on when a show is cancelled a boycott seems impractical.
            Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:11 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              I would wager even more then that. You would need to get millions. Given how most people are casual viewers and just move on when a show is cancelled a boycott seems impractical.
              A 100,000 consistent viewer loss would be DEVASTATING to the network. If we were boycotting ABC, or CBS yeah I would agree with you. But this is a cable channel with a small user-base to begin with. Also remember that they use the neilson system - losing just 5 neilson viewers is the equivalent of losing a HUGE market share (there are only like 5,000 boxes out there in total).

See the image below (created by Syfy themselves) from SGU's ratings (just to give an example) - They were happy with ratings over 2,000,000 - they were unhappy with 1.9 million.

Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:11 AM. Reason: Edited thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

I just think of it this way: SaveSGU only has 41,046 followers (most of which probably just clicked 'like' and did nothing further) on Facebook, Gateworld currently only has 42,904 registered users etc.

I don't see how you would manage to reach out to a hell of a lot more people than that (actively doing something), especially considering the bulk of people you would need to target don't even frequent these kind of sites.

So the main question is how much are you personally willing to invest to get the word out since you would need to go beyond the internet?
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:12 AM. Reason: Edted thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

I just think of it this way: SaveSGU only has 41,046 followers (most of which probably just clicked 'like' and did nothing further) on Facebook, Gateworld currently only has 42,904 registered users etc.
                  I'm not only targeting Stargate fans. As stated in my original post this is NOT about the end of Stargate- that's why it was posted in the General Sci-Fi forum and not the SGU forum.

If you look out there there are a LOT of Sci-Fi fans who are pissed at the network right now. The network has been screwing over its fans since 2006.

It's still in the works (and subject to SIGNIFICANT change) but the demands I'm hoping to make are below:

The Ultimatium (Rough Draft – Subject to change)

We, the consistently loyal fanbase of Syfy (Formerly the Sci-Fi channel) make the following demands to the network:

#1- We want more QUANTITY as well as quality programming. A minimum of 10 original dramas during each Spring/Fall season, and 5 during the summer season. At least 40% of these MUST be traditional science fiction (similar to but not nessasarily part of these franchises: Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica). Not all of these shows need to be expensive, high budget shows- we would be happy with 30 hours a year of a show that looked like “Lost in Space” if we knew it was going to be around for a while.

#2- We demand that you stop playing games with us. We are not a traditional viewing audience and we do not appreciate being lied to or misled. We want to know ahead of time how many seasons a show is contracted for, and what numbers it needs to make for a renewal.

#3- No more shows without proper endings. If a show is canceled it must be written into the shows contract that at least 5 additional hours of programming (either as episodes, a mini-series or a movie) will be produced. Even if ZERO people are watching. This ending does not have to air on the network – it can be done as webisodes, put on the DVD, or however you wish to make it available.

#4- An acknowledgment that the “Re-branding” effort started in 2009 is an abject failure, and an official apology to fans of the genre for the loss of quality programming that resulted. While we are not asking that they change the name back to “Sci-Fi” a new logo should be designed indicating that this is a refuge for fans of the Science Fiction genre.

#5- A restoration of Friday nights as a haven for dramas. If you want to give time every week to Wrestling or whatever you feel attracts fans to the network, than go for it – but not during OUR prime-time period. For almost 20 years Friday nights have been “Sci-Fi Fridays” and having this taken away has decimated the community.

#5- Stop calling shows such as “Alphas”, and “Warehouse 13” Science Fiction – these shows are decidedly not science fiction (Alphas is Horror, Warehouse 13 is Paranormal/Mystery). It is fine to include shows like this in your lineup as they do appeal to fans of science fiction, but by calling them sci-fi you are confusing the very nature of what science fiction is.

#6- A minimum of 26 episodes per season of all spring/fall dramas, and 15 episodes for summer dramas. Cutting episodes to "cut costs" is not an acceptable solution to your problems - we should not be made to suffer because network executives want a bigger bonus.
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:13 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
                    A 100,000 consistent viewer loss would be DEVASTATING to the network. If we were boycotting ABC, or CBS yeah I would agree with you. But this is a cable channel with a small user-base to begin with. Also remember that they use the neilson system - losing just 5 neilson viewers is the equivalent of losing a HUGE market share (there are only like 5,000 boxes out there in total).

See the image below (created by Syfy themselves) from SGU's ratings (just to give an example) - They were happy with ratings over 2,000,000 - they were unhappy with 1.9 million.

[IG]http://www.gateworld.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/sgu_ratings_graph.gif[/IMG]
                    Thats crazy. Ratings even on SyFy flucate between a 100,000 or more all the time. The difference between SGU is they go up as well in other shows
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:13 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Thats crazy. Ratings even on SyFy flucate between a 100,000 or more all the time. The difference between SGU is they go up as well in other shows
                      You are only thinking of the top. If a show averages between 1,800,000 users and 2,200,000 viewers before the boycott, and after is ranging between 1,700,000 and 2,100,000 users that's a HUGE difference from a networks perspective. Right now that difference is enough to get a show canceled because it means a lot less advertising revenue.

Yes it is crazy, but that's simply how it works. I really wish things worked more sensibly. In this rare occasion it can work in our favor instead of against us - all I'm saying is we need to take advantage of this flaw in the ratings system to force the network to reform.
                      Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:14 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

Points #3 & #6 are not possible.

The former is down to the writers, if they see that their series is under performing then they should write into the series some sort of ending. After Syfy cancel a show unless they themselves are making it they're not involved in the creation of movies, mini series, webisodes etc (In the case of Stargate that would have been down to MGM).

Point #6 would result in writers of a show either needing to increase they're storylines, may lead to a show dragging out at points and other shows feeling rushed.

Also when you say A LOT of sci-fi fans are pissed off, don't you mean that there are a fair few vocal fans? (Such was the case with the hate SGU received).

I just don't see how you would manage to obtain anywhere near the numbers you would need to make a difference anyway.
                        Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:15 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

Points #3 & #6 are not possible.

The former is down to the writers, if they see that their series is under performing then they should write into the series some sort of ending. After Syfy cancel a show unless they themselves are making it they're not involved in the creation of movies, mini series, webisodes etc (In the case of Stargate that would have been down to MGM).

Point #6 would result in writers of a show either needing to increase they're storylines, may lead to a show dragging out at points and other shows feeling rushed.

Also when you say A LOT of sci-fi fans are pissed off, don't you mean that there are a fair few vocal fans? (Such was the case with the hate SGU received).

I just don't see how you would manage to obtain anywhere near the numbers you would need to make a difference anyway.
                          Ok- lots of valid points in here, so let me begin by reminding you that the points above are subject to change.

Point #3- you are right in that the decision is not Syfy's entirely. However, they need to at a minimum include a clause in the contract that give the option to the showrunners to allow this to occur. The stargate writers for example were not informed of the cancellation until after the show was done filming. With this clause they would have at least had the ability to create a proper ending if they wanted to. If not, than the issue isn't with Syfy but with MGM and we would at least know to direct our anger at them instead.

For point #6- I totally disagree with you on this one. The same could be said with the current trend for 13 and 20 episode series. Right now many of the shows feel rushed, because they aren't being given enough time to develop. If SG-1 had 20 episodes per season in the early years we would have lost out on a LOT of development time and it wouldn't be the series it was today (well at least until syfy canceled it).

As for a LOT of sci-fi fans being pissed off, I do really mean A LOT - all you see online are the few extremely upset viewers posting because show X or Y was canceled. If anything, 100X that number are really out there. I work for a major hardware manufacturer - we assume that every negative review represents thousands of upset customers. When it comes to something like a TV show I would expect that to be magnified.

As for how we can manage to obtain the numbers? No way to know unless we at least try. If things keep going like they are, and we do nothing to try to counteract it than we have no one but ourselves to blame.

Another thing to consider is that even if we get half the numbers we need, fear is a very powerful tool. If the executives feel we will make an impact they may try to appease us to prevent the movement from growing any stronger and further harming "their good name".

Finally, we don't have to stop at simply boycotting Sy-Fy. If needed we can take the boycott to Syfy's advertisers, partners, etc.
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:16 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

Insulting? Craig Engler took the time to explain things better to why SGU was cancelled. However, people still don't get it. This is a business. The network does not owe us anything, If something we like does well then it's great, if it fails there is nothing we can do. I find it petty and immature with some people's nasty replies to Craig, and a reminder of how low this fandom has fallen. I truly thought people were better than that.
                            Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:17 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
                              I'm not only targeting Stargate fans. As stated in my original post this is NOT about the end of Stargate- that's why it was posted in the General Sci-Fi forum and not the SGU forum.

If you look out there there are a LOT of Sci-Fi fans who are pissed at the network right now. The network has been screwing over its fans since 2006.

It's still in the works (and subject to SIGNIFICANT change) but the demands I'm hoping to make are below:

Spoiler:
                              The Ultimatium (Rough Draft – Subject to change)

We, the consistently loyal fanbase of Syfy (Formerly the Sci-Fi channel) make the following demands to the network:

#1- We want more QUANTITY as well as quality programming. A minimum of 10 original dramas during each Spring/Fall season, and 5 during the summer season. At least 40% of these MUST be traditional science fiction (similar to but not nessasarily part of these franchises: Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica). Not all of these shows need to be expensive, high budget shows- we would be happy with 30 hours a year of a show that looked like “Lost in Space” if we knew it was going to be around for a while.

#2- We demand that you stop playing games with us. We are not a traditional viewing audience and we do not appreciate being lied to or misled. We want to know ahead of time how many seasons a show is contracted for, and what numbers it needs to make for a renewal.

#3- No more shows without proper endings. If a show is canceled it must be written into the shows contract that at least 5 additional hours of programming (either as episodes, a mini-series or a movie) will be produced. Even if ZERO people are watching. This ending does not have to air on the network – it can be done as webisodes, put on the DVD, or however you wish to make it available.

#4- An acknowledgment that the “Re-branding” effort started in 2009 is an abject failure, and an official apology to fans of the genre for the loss of quality programming that resulted. While we are not asking that they change the name back to “Sci-Fi” a new logo should be designed indicating that this is a refuge for fans of the Science Fiction genre.

#5- A restoration of Friday nights as a haven for dramas. If you want to give time every week to Wrestling or whatever you feel attracts fans to the network, than go for it – but not during OUR prime-time period. For almost 20 years Friday nights have been “Sci-Fi Fridays” and having this taken away has decimated the community.

#5- Stop calling shows such as “Alphas”, and “Warehouse 13” Science Fiction – these shows are decidedly not science fiction (Alphas is Horror, Warehouse 13 is Paranormal/Mystery). It is fine to include shows like this in your lineup as they do appeal to fans of science fiction, but by calling them sci-fi you are confusing the very nature of what science fiction is.

#6- A minimum of 26 episodes per season of all spring/fall dramas, and 15 episodes for summer dramas. Cutting episodes to "cut costs" is not an acceptable solution to your problems - we should not be made to suffer because network executives want a bigger bonus.
                              By making this sound like a ransom demand, you are only hurting your own cause. You'd be lucky if anyone at Syfy even got past the title of your letter before chucking it in a waste basket or shredder.

And even if you feel they've been rude, insulting and uncaring (which, personally, I don't agree with), there's no reason for you to behave that way yourself; it serves no purpose. Showing some courtesy in your letter is more likely to get a response than a letter attacking them for doing everything you feel is wrong.
                              Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 May 2011, 09:18 AM. Reason: Edited the thread sub-header.No post content modified.

Comment

Working...
                              X