The end of "adventure" shows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of "adventure" shows?

TV shows such as The A-Team, Lost in Space, MacGyver, Star Trek, Stargate, and The X Files have depicted a group of people traveling around the country or the galaxy (via space ship or stargate) on numerous adventures. Is it me, or is this format drying up in favor of town-based dramas? Sure, we still have science-fiction and adventure shows. Unfortunately, the show is always based on one singular location. I've always loved the adventure format. A new episode, a new place, a new adventure. That's why Star Trek and Stargate enthralled me, they always took us somewhere new. That's why I got bored with SGU, they never leave the ship. There are a few shows where I appreciated a static setting such as Roswell and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles; but that's more of an exception here and there. Anyway, does anyone else feel the same as I?

The upcoming Terra Nova looks cool but its on FOX so be careful there

Comment

If it's on FOX I won't be watching.

But yeah, not a lot in terms of adventuring shows.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

There's Dr. Who. And Game of Thrones- although that focuses on more medieval earthly drama, royal politics and crap, but it has some adventure.

Comment

After Season 3, I count Fringe as an ""adventure" show.. kinda..
          sigpic

Comment

Doctor Who and Warehouse 13 I kinda consider adventure shows. W13 reminds me alot of SG1.

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
            There's Dr. Who. And Game of Thrones- although that focuses on more medieval earthly drama, royal politics and crap, but it has some adventure.
            IMHO, screw HBO.

Comment

I really miss adventure-oriented sci-fi. That's what I loved most about SG-1 and Star Trek:TNG. I've always felt the same way about most programming outside the sci-fi genre too; very few of the long-arc drama and soap-opera type shows really grabbed me (probably the most glaring exception to that rule being The West Wing, which I actually found appealing, but not until after it ended its run and a friend introduced me to the DVDs).

Bring back adventure-oriented sci-fi!

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
              sigpic
              now also appearing on DeviantArt
              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                IMHO, screw HBO.
                Someone's a bit miffed that they can't afford HBO methinks

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  Someone's a bit miffed that they can't afford HBO methinks
                  Or maybe just isn't into medievalesque fantasy. Some people aren't, and that's okay too.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                    Or maybe just isn't into medievalesque fantasy. Some people aren't, and that's okay too.
                    He said screw HBO, not Game of Thrones. The network consists of more than one show and of more than one genre.

Comment

He said screw HBO, not Game of Thrones. The network consists of more than one show and of more than one genre.
                      No kidding, really? I never knew that. /sarcasm

My point was that he said it in reference to Game of Thrones, which at least leaves open the possibility I raised, which was the only reason I pointed it out. Yeesh, who the hell cares, and why is it so unfathomable that not everyone might be creaming their jeans over Game of Thrones? I have friends who love, it friends who don't like it... and while I have HBO at present, I haven't bothered watching it because I haven't been in a fantasy mood. *shrug*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

No kidding, really? I never knew that. /sarcasm

My point was that he said it in reference to Game of Thrones, which at least leaves open the possibility I raised, which was the only reason I pointed it out. Yeesh, who the hell cares, and why is it so unfathomable that not everyone might be creaming their jeans over Game of Thrones? I have friends who love, it friends who don't like it... and while I have HBO at present, I haven't bothered watching it because I haven't been in a fantasy mood. *shrug*
                        Seems to me you're the one the one getting in a hoo-hah over nothing.

Replicator Todd made a jokey comment about HBO, I know from previous conversations with him that he has a few issues with the extra price and mature content on HBO. I made a jokey comment back. The only person obsessing over Game of Thrones at the moment in the thread is you.

Comment

Seems to me you're the one the one getting in a hoo-hah over nothing.

Replicator Todd made a jokey comment about HBO, I know from previous conversations with him that he has a few issues with the extra price and mature content on HBO. I made a jokey comment back. The only person obsessing over Game of Thrones at the moment in the thread is you.
                          Who's obsessing over anything? And how am I supposed to know about your previous conversations with Replicator Todd? I didn't know I was supposed to follow you both all over GW and take notes.

*grumble* You'd really think they'd put things like that in the TOS or one of the welcome threads or something...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Who's obsessing over anything? And how am I supposed to know about your previous conversations with Replicator Todd? I didn't know I was supposed to follow you both all over GW and take notes.

*grumble* You'd really think they'd put things like that in the TOS or one of the welcome threads or something...
                            I know the internet is a strange and scary place, full of unusual and weird customs, but generally it's accepted that when people are sticking smiles in their messages, they aren't really being that serious.

But hey, look on the bright side, the places this conversations going, we could base an all new adventure show on it. SF_and_Coffee and the grouchy bugger of a sidekick The Mighty 6 platoon explore the depths of the internet!

Comment

I know the internet is a strange and scary place, full of unusual and weird customs, but generally it's accepted that when people are sticking smiles in their messages, they aren't really being that serious.

But hey, look on the bright side, the places this conversations going, we could base an all new adventure show on it. SF_and_Coffee and the grouchy bugger of a sidekick The Mighty 6 platoon explore the depths of the internet!
                              Yeah, but I don't do horror.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X