Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will comcast kill syfy, keep as is or merger it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will comcast kill syfy, keep as is or merger it?

Well with comcast running NBC now there may be some big changes in the works.

I can see G4 and SYFY becoming one channel.

versus is going to be renamed and may become show some of the stuff on the universal sports channel (right it's a sub channel but there are roomers of it going HD but It can't as a sub channel)

so the new g4 can become versus 2 and pick alot of the hunting, bull riding , WWE, ninja warrior type shows.

chiller can become syfy 2 or syfy movie channel.

also come next year comcast will need a lot of channels to be able to show all NHL playoffs games. Talking about maybe 3-5 games on at the same time.

There hasn't been any indication that they want to make any changes to SyFy. It's their niche channel for specialty program offerings, I don't see them just killing it off.

Originally posted by Joe View Post
    also come next year comcast will need a lot of channels to be able to show all NHL playoffs games. Talking about maybe 3-5 games on at the same time.
    From what I understand, NBC won't be airing ALL the playoff games. Granted, they made the deal to air a lot more than usual and there might be some overlap, but I don't see this as being the driving force for getting more channels. Hockey is so small in the States. Also, that's what Versus is for.
    sigpic

Comment

What a wonderful opportunity it would be to clean house at Syfylis.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        I thought something along the lines of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          I thought something along the lines of that.
          Why clean something that is not financially not broken
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I agree
            This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
              There hasn't been any indication that they want to make any changes to SyFy. It's their niche channel for specialty program offerings, I don't see them just killing it off.

From what I understand, NBC won't be airing ALL the playoff games. Granted, they made the deal to air a lot more than usual and there might be some overlap, but I don't see this as being the driving force for getting more channels. Hockey is so small in the States. Also, that's what Versus is for.
              Versus does not have the room and next year all NHL playoff games will be on like how all NCAA march madness games where shown in full this year.

I don't see them just killing it off. they may make G4 and syfy into 1 channel and use the old slot for sports or some other channel.
              comcast wants to have there own ESPN like channel.

Comment

Heh, merge G4 and Skiffy? So they would just add a bunch of COPS reruns to Skiffy's line up.

The only shows on G4 halfway worth watching was Ninja Warrior, Attack of the Show, and X-Play and then whenever they covered E3 and Comic Con....and those where the only things I watched until DirecTV dumped G4 a year ago.

Skiffy's not going anywhere I'd imagine. If anything, they'd probably toss G4 completely.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

G4 died to me when they started showing less videogame related content.

Comment

When I used to get G4, it was like the then Sci-Fi but with talk and interaction re: the usual geek stuff like comics and fantasy and gaming. I quite enjoyed that. Attack of the Show rocks, btw.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I don't think SyFy is going anywhere. Regardless of what we may think of the content it is a money maker.

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      G4 died to me when they started showing less videogame related content.
                      That's when I started watching more G4. Not really a video game person. Mostly I watch Ninja Warrior, the other Japanase shows of this type (which sadly they aren't showing any more), and the occasional movie.
                      Last edited by Thunderstorm; 05 May 2011, 09:42 PM.
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I liked G4 when it was called TechTV.
                        And I liked Syfy when it wasn't an STD channel that sucked and cancelled my frickin shows.

Comment

hope Comcast kill Syfy, fire the lot of them and just have G4 show the Syfy shows like Eureka/Warehouse13/Sanctuary/ETC alongside their Gaming programs...

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
                            hope Comcast kill Syfy, fire the lot of them and just have G4 show the Syfy shows like Eureka/Warehouse13/Sanctuary/ETC alongside their Gaming programs...
                            Not going to happen. It's the other shows on SyFy that are making them the money to be able to let the lesser ratings shows (the ones we like ) stick around.

I've been thinking about this and if Comcast is going to get rid of channels, it wouldn't totally suprise me if it was NBC that was killed. It's one of the least profitable assests. I'm not sure if they could do that because of the Jay Leno contract but otherwise they could move any decent ratings show to other channels.
                            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Really, the actual market for sci-fi shows isn't as small as the general ratings make it out to be. If Comcast could figure out how to work it, then the shows that we like could actually become the profitable ones. I was never the biggest fan of SGU, but just using it as an example if it got a 1 million viewer Nielson rating, then I'd put money on closer to 3 million eyeballs actually watching the show.

The problem is that sci-fi fans are likely to watch it on Hulu or iTunes or most likely illegal torrents.

Networks still aren't understanding how to make these new viewing models profitable. They need to accept embedded advertising. Yeah I know your first reaction is probably "banner ads? HELL NO!"; but think about it, the current model is killing sci-fi. We all wish we could get it for free, but it doesn't work that way.

Throw a half-inch banner ad at the top of the screen, embedded in the feed, and charge three or four times a normal commercial for it. It will be there regardless of how the video is watched- meaning the costs to buy the ads go up. This suddenly makes online viewing a lot more profitable, and makes keeping shows with large non-traditional audiences more profitable.

Yeah, it would be annoying as crap, but whats worse: no shows, or dealing with annoying ads?

Comment

Working...
                              X