Sci-Fi vs SyFy (not the channel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci-Fi vs SyFy (not the channel)

In this thread I want to try and determine the differences between Sci-Fi and Syfy. IMO, SyFy is now a genre in it's own right -- at least since the rebranding of SciFi Channel. This isn't a dig at individual shows, or anything like that.

Here are some examples of shows (that i can think of) I believe fit in each category:

You could probably divide each category into two sub-categories e.g. SciFi Drama and SciFi, Syfy Drama, Syfy.

SciFi (A mix of drama, science fiction and a lighter touch of fantasy)
    Stargate Universe
    Stargate Atlantis
    Stargate SG1
    Battlestar Galactica
    Caprica
    V
    The Event
    Fringe (not certain -- never really got into it)

SyFy (Lighter drama, Science fiction and fantasy)
    Sanctuary
    Warehouse 13
    Being Human
    Eureka
    Dr.Who
    Smallville
    Supernatural
    Heroes
    No Ordinary Family
    (*Anything with super-heroes in)

Personally, I prefer 'SciFi', but I do enjoy 'Sanctuary'. I haven't really tried getting into lots of 'SyFy' shows, just because I know it's not really my taste, but I think that the genre is now broad enough to be split into (at least) two sections.

These are just my thoughts. Anybody else got any shows they'd like to categorise, or change category. It's just a way of deciding what is SciFi now, and what isn't. And which do you prefer?

apparently Wrestling is Syfy

Comment

Yeh -- decided not to count that. Wrestling is SyFy channel SyFy :/

Comment

SG-1 and SGA are syfy, according to your definition, stop being biased lol
        sigpic

Comment

i'm not sure supernatural counts in either syfy or scifi - it's mythological in tone and set in modern day, with little science - the odd autopsy, the ghost detectors, some forensic analysis, that kind of thing. for what's there, you could almost add in every law and order, ncics (or whatever) and other similar shows.

true, you've listed to include fantasy - but it's like the problem i have with any bookshop near me - scifi does not inherently fit on the fantasy shelf. fantasy is a genre in and of itself, and while not on TV as much, doesn't deserve to be lumped in with other shows, imho. sorry for the slight rant, but it does irritate me to see that happen.
          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
            SG-1 and SGA are syfy, according to your definition, stop being biased lol
            actually no - none of what he's listed in syfy takes place on an alien ship or city (that i'm aware of) and nor do they routinely fly around in alien shuttles of any kind (except dr who, though i'm not sure it counts as scifi anyway because of the general style... it emphasises the human element more than the science.)

Comment

TBH, I've only ever watched a few eps of Supernatural -- so I could have easily made a mistake.

For me, SG1 and SGA are SciFi (SGU is SciFi Drama), as the fantasy element is quite limited compared to lets say, Sanctuary. Not trying to be biased.

As for Dr. Who, I suppose it's sought of a category of it's own - classic SciFi/Fantasy - but I put it into SyFy for the scifi/fantasy mix.

As for Fantasy being it's own genre, I agree. But for me, fantasy is something like Merlin (off the top of my head -- another show I havn't got into). My SyFy category is meant to be a broader range of shows with Drama, SciFi and Fantasy elements, whereas (IMO) Fantasy is more about the drama and fantasy.

Hope I've explained myself well enough lol.

Comment

The only "SciFi" / "Syfy" shows I've watched are Stargate SG-1 (Seasons 6-10), Stargate: Atlantis, and Sanctuary. I'd say SG-1 and SGA are straight up science-fiction even if the science is bogus due to the fast-paced nature of television production. Sanctuary, however, is straight up fantasy. I've ignored everything else the network has produced.

If we're including the genre as a whole and not just the channel... Well, science-fiction at it's core is meant to open the mind to scientific and technological possibilities. If that is the focus and drive of the story, it is science-fiction. If not, it falls under another genre. The Alien films, starring Sigourney Weaver, take place in outer space with alien monsters. However, the focus is on survival and... alien monsters, hence the movies would be thriller or horror. Star Wars seems to be science-fiction at first glance, but it's long ago in a distant galaxy. It's all entirely made up, hence it's fantasy dressed in science-fiction concept. If you go to a video store, you will find a lot of movies misclassified based on the video's artwork or description on the back.

Comment

For me:

(*Shows next to category titles are my examples)

SciFi Drama: SGU
                  45% SciFi
                  45% Drama
                  10% Fantasy

IMO, most of SGU's best eps (Time, Space, Malice, Twin Destinies and Common Descent etc.) were perfect examples of this. Episodes like 'Life' had way too much drama, and for me 'The Hunt' had a bit too much fantasy -- a level of fantasy that would have been better suited for a 'SciFi' or 'SyFy Drama' show.

SciFi: Stargate SG1
                  50% SciFi
                  30% Drama
                  20% Fantasy

SyFy Drama: Sanctuary
                  30% SciFi
                  30% Drama
                  40% Fantasy

On second thought, I think Fringe could probably be put into 'SyFy Drama'. Thats only after seeing odd episode though -- I could do with other opinions.

SyFy: Eureka
                  30% SciFi
                  20% Drama
                  50% Fantasy

That's just how I see it. I'm sure others will beg to differ
                  Last edited by MrMann101; 01 May 2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

How did you generate these percentages? Based on them, it seems you would classify each show as...

SGU (science-fiction)
                    Stargate SG1 (science-fiction)
                    Santuary (fantasy)
                    Eureka (fantasy)

Comment

Just trying to use these percentages as a general guideline.

I'd say a show was 'full on' Fantasy if there was over 50% of Fantasy in it. (If that makes any sense lol)

As for SGU, I have now changed the numbers.

Comment

@Snowman

I see both Eureka and Sanctuary as SyFy shows -- Sanctuary more towards the SciFi side, and Eureka more towards the Fantasy side -- but still SyFy.

That's why i think SyFy is it's own genre, a mix of both

And yes, I also agree that SG1 and SGA are straight up SciFi, but I think Sanctuary has pretty much equal amounts of SciFi and Fantasy in it.

Comment

So are you classifying shows in terms of level of drama or genre (sci-fi vs fantasy)?

If it is based on drama, SG-1 and SGA should be under SyFy then.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MrMann101 View Post
                            @Snowman
                            I see both Eureka and Sanctuary as SyFy shows -- Sanctuary more towards the SciFi side, and Eureka more towards the Fantasy side -- but still SyFy. That's why i think SyFy is it's own genre, a mix of both And yes, I also agree that SG1 and SGA are straight up SciFi, but I think Sanctuary has pretty much equal amounts of SciFi and Fantasy in it.
                            I never bothered with Eureka, but I've seen all of the first two seasons of Sanctuary. What about the show suggests science-fiction? How does it examine the human condition in regards to possible scientific and technological possibilities? The show is all about abnormals and how they effect society. That strikes me as fantasy, not science-fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMann101 View Post
                              TBH, I've only ever watched a few eps of Supernatural -- so I could have easily made a mistake.

For me, SG1 and SGA are SciFi (SGU is SciFi Drama), as the fantasy element is quite limited compared to lets say, Sanctuary. Not trying to be biased.

As for Dr. Who, I suppose it's sought of a category of it's own - classic SciFi/Fantasy - but I put it into SyFy for the scifi/fantasy mix.

As for Fantasy being it's own genre, I agree. But for me, fantasy is something like Merlin (off the top of my head -- another show I havn't got into). My SyFy category is meant to be a broader range of shows with Drama, SciFi and Fantasy elements, whereas (IMO) Fantasy is more about the drama and fantasy.

Hope I've explained myself well enough lol.
                              supernatural is, basically, a couple of brothers fighting ghosts, vampires, demons, werewolves, occasionally angels, and the like. they use guns and knives, but hardly standard issue - silver and iron rounds and blades, rather than the normal steel blade, and whatever normal bullets are made of. in the latest episode, 6:19, they put the ashes of a phoenix in shotgun shells. as i say, there's the occasional bit of science - but i'd find it a stretch to call any episode 'sci-fi' in any sensible definition. the brothers aren't superheros, and any powers they do have come from, quite literally, supernatural sources - exorcisms, demon blood, whatever.

i've never seen merlin, so i can't say anything in comparison against that.

Snowman37:
                              i've never seen eureka or sanctuary, however i've always felt shows with abnormals (i'm assuming 'mutants' like, say, x-men, might be a good comparison?) fall toward sci-fi/syfy because of a genetic link - i tend to take fantasy as less scientifically explained, in many ways.

the Alien films, because of their setting - and, indeed, because they concern aliens - are things i'd consider scifi/syfy, though indeed they have a great deal of fantasy. likewise for the (original) star wars trilogy. the prequels were a george lucas wet dream - milking the cash. at least that's my opinion

i think i define scifi/syfy as more scientific/space age material, while fantasy is a bit more mysterious and mythological - with mutants/heros being on the scifi/syfy side, generally, because of the genetic explanation typically used.

Comment

Working...
                              X