PDA

View Full Version : Compared with the last episode of BSG..

SerpentGuard
April 30th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Ok.. 80 or so of "the wrong people" from Destiny land on an earth type planet with nothing but the clothes on their backs, in 10 years they've built a village, in 50 years they've made a town, in 500 years they've created cities and industry and after 2000 years have created and advanced society that can build massive space ships that can lift off of the ground..

but in Battlestar Galactica 30,000 people land on an earth type planet that already is populated by some nomadic human tribes, while yes they get rid off all of their larger spacecraft, they still have Raptors, Vipers and shuttles plus all the other equipment they initially landed with. They also spread out over to different continents, and still have a way to keep in contact, yet 150,000 years later, they're only at our level of technology

you would have thought that 30,000 people + 150,000 years + advanced technology from the beginning would have developed into a huge space faring society much like Star Trek's Federation after only a 500-1000 years, but 80 or so of "the wrong people" from a much less advanced society with nothing but the clothes on their back were able to create a far more advanced society in less than 2000 years.

wonder which one is more likely?

ballastix
April 30th, 2011, 03:50 AM
In BSG they wanted a new "fresh start" without technology, whereas in SGU they didn't want/need a "fresh start". So there was no need for them to evolve so quick

Egle01
April 30th, 2011, 03:54 AM
but in Battlestar Galactica 30,000 people land on an earth type planet that already is populated by some nomadic human tribes, while yes they get rid off all of their larger spacecraft, they still have Raptors, Vipers and shuttles plus all the other equipment they initially landed with. They also spread out over to different continents, and still have a way to keep in contact, yet 150,000 years later, they're only at our level of technologyIt's been awhile since I last saw the episode, but I think they really started over, without the Raptors (other than Adama's), Vipers and shuttles.

webxro
April 30th, 2011, 03:57 AM
The idea was that those 80 wrong people knew how to start building a civilization , they knew haw to start and create rudimentary tools . The problem is that the BSG what that they where way to advanced .

escyos
April 30th, 2011, 04:01 AM
They are two DIFFERENT shows. Get over it!

thekillman
April 30th, 2011, 04:59 AM
in BSG they chose to start anew. in SGU they actively passed on their knowledge

Duneknight
April 30th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Not to mention that those 80 people werent prone to going into constant wars with each other and believing in religions instead of science. That advanced civilisation mentality really does make a difference and it gets passed on.

themeatcleaver
April 30th, 2011, 06:47 AM
there's got to be some recursive formula of some sort that someone can write that could predict roughly what a population of 80 people would be after some 2000 years. anyone game?

thekillman
April 30th, 2011, 07:07 AM
well i can presume its:

Ab=(As+Mu0*X*K+Mu*Y) * T

end knowledge = ( collective knowlege + quality of teaching * amount of inhabitants*reproductive value ) * amount of years passed.

Duneknight
April 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM
there's got to be some recursive formula of some sort that someone can write that could predict roughly what a population of 80 people would be after some 2000 years. anyone game?

if each couple gets like 6 children and each of the 6 marries the other 6 and producing another 6 then those 6 makes with 6 of ah what its too hard.

Keeper
April 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM
They are two DIFFERENT shows. Get over it!

you're sure?

i got the impression that SGU was BSG Jr :p

pseudo-political wrangling with no long lasting effect, a long journey in space, and mechanical enemies.

at least BSG could manage everything (with wrangling having a lasting effect) AND provide a bit more action, while developing their characters.

dacooker
April 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM
In BSG they wanted a new "fresh start" without technology, whereas in SGU they didn't want/need a "fresh start". So there was no need for them to evolve so quick

This

Egle01
April 30th, 2011, 07:23 AM
i got the impression that SGU was BSG Jr :pYou're telling me it isn't? :eek: I thought everything originated from BSG. :P

Duneknight
April 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM
You're telling me it isn't? :eek: I thought everything originated from BSG. :P

BSG had more urgency to it while SGU is more serene dissonance.

Keeper
April 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM
BSG had more urgency to it while SGU is more serene dissonance.

exactly, hence jr :D

Ekras
April 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM
The difference is the Kino's.

In BSG they destroyed almost all of their tech....

In SGU they kept what little tech they had including 6 kino's with incredible amounts of storage. They were able to record most of the knowledge that they wanted to save, giving future generations a huge step-up.

Also the SGU survivors were the "best of the best" - astrophysicists, and other elite scientists with much more knowledge than your average monke...err human... In BSG they were pretty random about who survived with most of them just being average citizens.

Keeper
April 30th, 2011, 09:23 AM
The difference is the Kino's.

In BSG they destroyed almost all of their tech....

In SGU they kept what little tech they had including 6 kino's with incredible amounts of storage. They were able to record most of the knowledge that they wanted to save, giving future generations a huge step-up.

Also the SGU survivors were the "best of the best" - astrophysicists, and other elite scientists with much more knowledge than your average monke...err human... In BSG they were pretty random about who survived with most of them just being average citizens.

yet, in SGU, it was made pretty clear these were not the best of the best, as it's been said on a number of occasions that this wasn't the team that earth had planned to send through. some of them, certainly, but not all - not even most, iirc. so it's still just pretty random.

Duneknight
April 30th, 2011, 09:43 AM
yet, in SGU, it was made pretty clear these were not the best of the best, as it's been said on a number of occasions that this wasn't the team that earth had planned to send through. some of them, certainly, but not all - not even most, iirc. so it's still just pretty random.

the point of the episode was to show what this group people managed to accomplish on their own. But im not sure why they felt it was necessary to show it in such an obvious way when everything has been subtle so far. I never cared if these people were the right people for the job or not, they are humans and thats all i needed to know.

Keeper
April 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
the point of the episode was to show what this group people managed to accomplish on their own. But im not sure why they felt it was necessary to show it in such an obvious way when everything has been subtle so far. I never cared if these people were the right people for the job or not, they are humans and thats all i needed to know.

however, it does help with a more accurate comparison of the episode to BSG, to understand that both were presenting less than optimal groups to set up their futures.

which, after all, is the point of the thread :)

Duneknight
April 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
however, it does help with a more accurate comparison of the episode to BSG, to understand that both were presenting less than optimal groups to set up their futures.

which, after all, is the point of the thread :)

the two episodes are nothing alike that much is clear. Plus in BSG you felt they deserved it, they deserved the peace away from technology and all that happened before.

flobo
April 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I did think of the bsg final a lot too while i was seeing this episode.

Sadly, for me, most of it was wishing BSG could have bit a bit more like that.

The final montage seeing the crew's descendants building a civilisation was beautifull.

In BSG, to me, it felt more like a waste. The few people that had survived an holocaust, a years long war, the conditions of life in the fleet, all of them commited cultural suicide on earth, reslting in a new modern civilisation 10000 years later that is likely to make the exact same mistake the colonials did since history was lost. What a great way to "break the cycle", they could have all died on caprica, the native of earth would have probably evolved in almost the same way...

As for wich is likely, SGU is, since they relaunched the civilisation right away, to the point of having a constitution within their lifetime. The second generation probably has lost some thing that were too advanced for life on Nobus, but remembered it could exist, which made scientitic progress very likely to go faster athan on earth.

On the other end, on galactica, the very idea that people could choose to live in the wild, likely to die from something as stupid as a cold (no meds anymore), or to be killed by the primitive caveman living next door over staying in the ships/building a city is ridiculous.

garhkal
April 30th, 2011, 09:03 PM
While i did think there were similarities, the fact that we kept some advanced tech (kinos and remotes), as well as USED our advanced knowledge, made for a massive difference.

thekillman
May 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM
On the other end, on galactica, the very idea that people could choose to live in the wild, likely to die from something as stupid as a cold (no meds anymore), or to be killed by the primitive caveman living next door over staying in the ships/building a city is ridiculous.

it was a great choice in terms of storyline. a full circle. but in practical terms it's not. pretty much a few years after the Colonists landed, Earth was in an ice age.

so yes it would've made sense if they created a new city and lived with their knowledge.