PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about planetary-wide evacuation of indigenous species / creatures from the p

qingdom
April 29th, 2011, 04:44 AM
It got me thinking about preservation and evacuation of the the other living organisms that are not human. Are they also part of the evacuation list or are they left to die along with the planet? Sanctuary ship and all.

In addition, are the zoology archives part of the ships library for all the ships or just the one carrying the animals, reptiles, insects, etc. if at all any?

It just causes me to think what a loss it would be if only humans gets brought on board the evacuation ships and no process exist for preserving zoology archives and other living creatures on the planet.

Surely quite a few Novus evacuee's would have had some pets to take with them (unless, if not allowed).

Thoughts?

Pond Hopper
April 29th, 2011, 04:57 AM
We can only speculate at this point. I'd like to think they bought along seeds and such like we did, perhaps they even took genetic samples of a few herd animals, but I doubt there's a Noah's Ark situation on those ships :P

General Jumper One
April 29th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I would hope that they took a good deal of the animals with them

The Destiny
April 29th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I can imagine them preserving ( a significant amount of ) animal species, but no ship dedicated to carrying nimals or anything. It's a trip of hundreds of years, they need to keep generations of animals alive ( and make sure they don't die out ).

It will probably depend on how much enviromental awareness the Destiny crew passed on to Novus; clean industries? Green economie? etc.

thekillman
April 29th, 2011, 06:11 AM
i'd just collect some reproductional cells and once i get to my new planet, add some water, mix the right cells and you have a new thriving animal population

Keeper
April 29th, 2011, 06:17 AM
chances are, the colony planet will have a good number of its own animals.

adding in novus animals would, then, lead to potential imbalances in ecosystems - which could lead to the destruction of indigenous life.

Retro_Invasion
April 29th, 2011, 06:38 AM
This is something that is too often overlooked when it comes to assessing what is needed to create a civilization and that is food supply. No doubt they would be bringing something of the zoology of their world with them. It may of taken a long time to domesticate the plants and animals of Novus, so they would not want to start all over again.

The smartest thing to do would be to send livestock, plants, farmers and their families through the gate first so that there would be an agrarian infrastructure in place on Novus II long before the ships got there.

webxro
April 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Think about feeding the population , no animals equals no meat for the next few hundred years , so i guess they have some farms on those huge ships .

Yipikyyaysupremecommanderthor
April 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
im sure they brought some form of animals with them either in genetic material or the actual animal. It'll bee 100 years before they reach the new planet so thy have to have protein somehow

Keeper
April 29th, 2011, 08:01 AM
if they're in stasis pods, they won't need food.

the destiny crew have, as far as we're aware, gone quite some time without meat, and they're not suffering.

and if the new planet has animals of its own, they're not gonna struggle with finding meat there.

Duneknight
April 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
well these animals are used to a different enviroment than the one they would be taken to how will they ever survive?

KEK
April 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM
The same way other species that have seen transplant to new environments survive. In fact many have displaced the native species they have done so well, because they often find they have no natural predators.

Duneknight
April 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM
The same way other species that have seen transplant to new environments survive. In fact many have displaced the native species they have done so well, because they often find they have no natural predators.

its a different planet, everything is different i cant imagine them surviving in it.

KEK
April 29th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Why not? From what we've seen all of these planets are incredibly similar. Far more alike than some of the new different environments species have managed to adapt to on Earth.

Keeper
April 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM
its a different planet, everything is different i cant imagine them surviving in it.

in that case, how can humans survive? it's fair to say it has to be a novus-type planet, in which case most things they could bring would be capable of surviving.

iirc, the potato first developed in south america. today, it's grown so easily in ireland that it's almost part of the cultural identity, and certainly i know a few people who think it actually originated here. south america and ireland are sufficiently different that i wouldn't like to try growing any other foods from there here though :p

Duneknight
April 29th, 2011, 02:07 PM
in that case, how can humans survive? it's fair to say it has to be a novus-type planet, in which case most things they could bring would be capable of surviving.

iirc, the potato first developed in south america. today, it's grown so easily in ireland that it's almost part of the cultural identity, and certainly i know a few people who think it actually originated here. south america and ireland are sufficiently different that i wouldn't like to try growing any other foods from there here though :p

will only work with cattle and pets. not wild life.

Keeper
April 29th, 2011, 02:11 PM
will only work with cattle and pets. not wild life.

squirrels too - the grey was brought to the UK and ireland from america. it's pretty much supplanted the native breed, and it is most definitely wildlife.

and these are, of course, only the ones i know about - i've no doubt that there's lots of other examples that i don't know of :)

General Jumper One
April 29th, 2011, 02:25 PM
there are tons of animals that have come from different types of ecosystems and continents that have managed to adapt very succesfully

qingdom
April 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM
there are tons of animals that have come from different types of ecosystems and continents that have managed to adapt very succesfully

sadly not for the dodo bird.

Keeper
April 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM
sadly not for the dodo bird.

didn't it die more because of intruders than because it was moved around though?

Gollumpus
April 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM
While the gate was active they likely shipped out a large number of domesticated species in large numbers.

I'm assuming that one of the factors they would have assessed is whether livestock could survive in the new environment. If enough of your "necessary" animal stock could not survive somewhere then you likely can't survive there. Inflicting themselves and their own creatures onto the new planet would likely be enough of an issue without introducing a wild card of undomesticated creatures.

How much effort would it "cost" to raise an animal there versus the return that humans would get from it. A certain amount of economics comes into the picture. If the animal needs to eat the same food you do (eg. grains you plant) then unless it gives a more valuable return it should not be kept, or at least not in any great numbers, as it is a competitor for your food. On the other hand, if the creature can live off of the land and/or scavenge off of you leavings then it becomes a more economical creature to keep.

Aside from being a possible food source, animals might be necessary as beasts of burden (where and if necessary), a source of raw materials (clothing, tools etc), protection (some dog-like creatures perhaps?), and companionship. If it takes more to keep an animal alive than the value of the animal to the society then it would not be needed and likely wouldn't be brought. Also, should there be a native creature which fills the same bill as one of your transplanted creatures then likely your creature might not be brought at all, or at least not in any great numbers. If, after a number of generations, the native creature is as good or superior to your transplanted creature then they may well be allowed to go extinct.

The evacuation ships were to carry the guys who had not gotten off of the planet before the gate was destroyed. I assume they were something of a rush job. How much they would have cared for any "wildlife" is likely very low, they were likely more interested in their personal survival.

Reading and viewing on the topic as it relates to our planet:

Movie - Cane Toads: An Unnatural History (1988) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130529/
A film about the mis-adventures of introducing the Hawaiian cane toad to Australia.

Books - Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_Imperialism:_The_Biological_Expansion_of_Europe,_900-1900

- various books by Marvin Harris.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Harris

regards,
G.