His mom is cured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His mom is cured

AIDS cure. but it would change too many things on earth so probably not right? The show was aiming to find God and cure AIDS, really grandiose aint it?
    sigpic

This is, of course, assuming we have that knowledge in the 1/3 of data we got and can accurately relay it by word of mouth through the stones.
    sigpic
    ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

What? They were looking for a cure for ALS, not AIDS. I'm confused.
      sigpic
      Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
        What? They were looking for a cure for ALS, not AIDS. I'm confused.
        He was implying that it might be in there along with ALS.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
          I understand now. I'm apparently not firing on all cylinders today.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't see that implication...even if they were trying to cure AIDS...what's so bad about that?
            sigpic

Comment

Umm, if the HIV virus was not present on Novus why would their doctors spend resources trying to cure it?

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                I don't see that implication...even if they were trying to cure AIDS...what's so bad about that?
                He's implying that if there's a cure for ALS, there might be a cure for other things such as AIDS.

The Destiny descendants probably ran across AIDS at some point in their development since they came from "our" strand of human and aren't descendants of, say, Ancients who were slightly different than us.

And there's nothing bad about finding the cure to AIDS. Didn't mean to give off that vibe if I did.
                sigpic

Comment

The Destiny descendants probably ran across AIDS at some point in their development since they came from "our" strand of human and aren't descendants of, say, Ancients who were slightly different than us.
                  How would they have come across AIDS if the HIV nobody on Destiny was HIV positive?

Comment

Unless there is someone on Destiny infected with the HIV virus, there is no reason why that particular virus would show up - we aren't carrying it in our genes.

Now, a similar virus might have arisen sometime in those 2000 years.

Since human HIV is derived from a primate virus, it would matter if there were other "mammal-like" creatures on Novus that we could pick viruses up from, I suppose.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                      Umm, if the HIV virus was not present on Novus why would their doctors spend resources trying to cure it?
                      Very good point. Unless one of the crew was HIV positive and spread the virus...why come up with a cure for it?

He's implying that if there's a cure for ALS, there might be a cure for other things such as AIDS.

And there's nothing bad about finding the cure to AIDS. Didn't mean to give off that vibe if I did.
                      Again, I don't see that implication in the original post. It just seems to be dripping with sarcasm.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                        How would they have come across AIDS if the HIV nobody on Destiny was HIV positive?
                        How do you know that no one on Destiny is HIV positive. There were 80 some people aboard at one point.
                        Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                        a similar virus might have arisen sometime in those 2000 years.
                        Bingo.
                        Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        Again, I don't see that implication in the original post. It just seems to be dripping with sarcasm.
                        Well, yes, there's that too. I just entertained the idea that if the cure for one disease is in there, why wouldn't there be more. Since the OP provided AIDS, that's what I rolled with.
                        sigpic

Comment

Probably not, AIDS is caused by a retrovirus HIV, that evolved from SIV from Monkeys in africa. If no one on the ship had the virus. Then it doesn't exist on novus. And there is absolutely no chance that a similar virus could evolve in 2000 years. Infact there was probably very little infectious disease when they first founded novus, maybe even none.

That been said it's likely they may have developed other medical technology, like one guy in real life was cured of AIDS after radiation and a bone marrow transplant so if they invented a way of doing that safely and effectively they probably cure it.
                          Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 27 April 2011, 11:39 AM.
                          I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

I highly doubt they ran across AIDS or HIV on Novus
                            sigpic
                            LordRush - "Battle stations!" "Marines, Kree!"

Comment

Originally posted by LordRush View Post
                              I highly doubt they ran across AIDS or HIV on Novus
                              Which is why I think the original poster's comment was made in jest.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X