36 hour window?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

36 hour window?

Ok, so not really about the time to upload the data to Destiny, but I've seen a couple mentions about the timing.

Anyone else think that it's possible that even 60% power to Destiny's main cannon may have been a tad too much and could have contributed to the accelerated deadline? Maybe the shot went further than just the blast doors, and penetrated just far enough and had just enough force to cause localized liquefaction?

Just wondering.

Well a large enough explosion could certainly trigger some seismic activity if the area was unstable enough.

But given the size of the fissure, the fact that it seemed to start a good distance away near the Ship Factory and the information Park found about the fault line, I would have to say that Destiny's weapon didn't have anything to do with what happened.

Comment

I did think it was a little convenient that the 36 hour window started when they showed up - I assumed that because the crew turned the power on the underground complex, some machine started up and the geothermal energy gatherer or whatever caused the breaking. But yeah, the weapon causing it wouldn't hurt that theory, I suppose. That, or Rule of Drama. Either way.
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I like your idea about the geothermal power generating machinery, that could certainly have had enough impact to kick start a chain reaction.

But I'm leaning more towards Rule of Drama.

Comment

nope, don't think so - they flew over where the factory was, it was gone. it was pretty apparent what had hit it wasn't just local lava flow, it was more of a sea of lava moving closer to the vault.

on the other hand, the blast MAY have caused a shockwave - i don't know anything about engineering, so i don't know if a reinforced structure like the vault would have absorbed the shock, or potentially transferred it into the ground. however, even transferring it to the ground, i don't know if it could have been a strong enough blast to shake all the way to the fault line, wherever it was, let alone have a significant enough effect on it to provoke an increased lava flow.
          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
            I like your idea about the geothermal power generating machinery, that could certainly have had enough impact to kick start a chain reaction.

But I'm leaning more towards Rule of Drama.
            When in doubt, always go for the Rule of Drama. SGU uses it to great effect, as did the other Stargates. It happens.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Well, the way Park described how the planet's crust in the vicinity of the city had basically turned to thin plates of glass (dunno if that was the actual terms used, but the feeling I got) and everyone's distress at the sudden deadline after so many years... I thought maybe the shot could have sped things up.

Comment

The 37 hour window was not how long it would take the planet to die. That number is in reference to the exact amount of time necessary for the database upload to finish.

Any future issues about the planet's death should keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                  The 37 hour window was not how long it would take the planet to die. That number is in reference to the exact amount of time necessary for the database upload to finish.

Any future issues about the planet's death should keep that in mind.
                  I know, and addressed that in my first sentence. I posted this after reading someone's post how they were irked that the time it would take to get all the data fell just outside the time they had before all was lost. The number was stuck in my head.

Comment

36 hours for 900 exobytes?

Damn, i want THAT ISP

N.C

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                      36 hours for 900 exobytes?

Damn, i want THAT ISP

N.C
                      Imagine releasing all the films, tv shows, and books back on Earth one day.
                      CHA CHING!

Comment

Working...
                      X