PDA

View Full Version : Did 'Epilogue' prove that SGU doesn't need Rush to produce great episodes?

Pizerer
April 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I've read comments online that seem to suggest that Rush carries SGU; without him the show wouldn't be worth watching. I think this particular episode puts that idea to rest. This episode has to be one of the best episodes ever produced. Great sci-fi concepts with great character moments.

While Rush is probably one of the best characters on the show, and I would hate to lose him, I think 'Epilogue' proves that Rush isn't a vital part of the show. SGU is still capable of producing solid and enjoyable episodes without him.

What do you guys think?

Egle01
April 26th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I've read comments online that seem to suggest that Rush carries SGU; without him the show wouldn't be worth watching.While some might know me as obsessed and crazy Rush fangirl, I don't think he's the only reason that makes SGU enjoyable. Far from it. There are different elements that make the show so great, taking one or two of 'em away won't make SGU immediately worthless.

Lots of people had their change to shine in "Epilogue". Since Rush wasn't one of those who started the civilization, he didn't have such a vital part in this episode. Other than figuring out the air filter stuff thingie.

Nikec3
April 26th, 2011, 10:43 AM
SGU needs Rush and Young.

Duneknight
April 26th, 2011, 10:56 AM
That episode did have Rush. He was busy with more important stuff, the only guy on the show who knows whats really important. that or hes miserable he wasnt part of this new planet 2000 years ago, but at least the other him ended up ascending or something? so maybe he did help novus afterall?

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Lets face it, the bets part of 2 seasons have been about Rush, now it isnt, let the man have a rest he deserves it :)

N.C

carmencatalina
April 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I'm totally obsessed with Rush, but he doesn't carry the show, and he doesn't need to be the center of every episode. This episode showed that clearly.

I think it also showed (once again) that the large ensemble cast of SGU has a lot of depth - great talent, and great characters.

(If only we had another 3 years to spend with them . . .)

LtColCarter
April 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I've read comments online that seem to suggest that Rush carries SGU; without him the show wouldn't be worth watching. I think this particular episode puts that idea to rest. This episode has to be one of the best episodes ever produced. Great sci-fi concepts with great character moments.

While Rush is probably one of the best characters on the show, and I would hate to lose him, I think 'Epilogue' proves that Rush isn't a vital part of the show. SGU is still capable of producing solid and enjoyable episodes without him.

What do you guys think?

Well, I've never liked Rush or any character that Robert Carlyle has played. I think the show could honestly do well without Rush. I've grown to see Rush in a different light over the course of the series, but I still don't care for him or his motives.

thekillman
April 26th, 2011, 11:40 AM
the Rush-Young dynamic and Rush-crew dynamic are very important. even with rush now on the background, he still is gold with every second he's on screen. while everyone is looking at their past, he goes look for scrubber material.

Duneknight
April 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Rush doesnt need to have the show centered around him in order for it to be great. Rush's awesomeness is so powerful that you already feel his presence in the episode without him having to do anything. If Rush say dies in the next episode then its game over for SGU pretty much, why? because he is the one against that sappy emotional whiny whatever thing other characters feel and we need someone who just doesn't follow the herd sort of speak.

carmencatalina
April 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
If Rush say dies in the next episode then its game over for SGU pretty much, why?

As opposed to, say, game over the episode after that. Wait a minute . . .

Damn. Game over anyway.

LordRush
April 26th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I think it was Rush's preference if you recall his conversation back to 'Light':
Rush: Colonel Young, If by chance you were thinking of choosing me as one of the two, please don't.
Young: Why?
Rush: This ship, coming here, was my destiny, my life's work was to be here, not trying to survive on some rock with a bunch of strangers. In fact, you can take my name off the lottery all together.

Replicator Todd
April 26th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Personally I wanted more Rush in the episode. :p

Major_Griff
April 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Rush is one of my four favorite characters (along with Young, Greer, and TJ) and I think he is a big part of what makes the show so good, but I think the whole ensemble is what makes the show work more than anything. Yes the Rush/Young dynamic is probably the best part of the show, but it's not the only thing that makes it work, imo.

Duneknight
April 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
i liked the old days when they planned a mutiny and were willing to risk lives for it. now its just lets get food, lets get supplies, take rush with you blah blah blah. So Rush would add alot more when characters are against him.

morrismike
April 26th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Rush had his crap in order and took care of business. It is refreshing to see him get us out of a mess that wasn't of his own making.

Galileo_Galilee
April 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
It proved to me that Rush is nothing more than dead weight and is not needed.

"It must burn you that we went on without you and survived." To paraphrase the quote.

However, I still don't believe he should be just tossed out to the wolves.

His biggest mistake was in the claim in the first season that he was the leader of the mission. That alone is what led to a lot of mistrust among the people.

But, I don't blame him for his attitudes towards people. The only friend in the world he has is Chloe. Everybody else treats him like crap.

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Well Eli never went out of his way to cause Rush problems, Eli just let the man act how he usually does and Eli found him to be not worth very much time.

I think Eli is kind of torn between 2 father figures, Young, for obvious reasons, and Rush, despite the mans shortcomings on manners and the like, took Eli away on something he had dreamed off for god knows how long, is the only one who is at least on the same level as Eli intellectually, Rush has encouraged Eli, even turned to him for help even though Rush probably died a little inside when he did. Rush is also the highest ranking science guy there, and Eli's vocation takes him more toward science than military so i think thats why Eli still regards Rush with some respect and admiration.

N.C

garhkal
April 26th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I think it was Rush's preference if you recall his conversation back to 'Light':
Rush: Colonel Young, If by chance you were thinking of choosing me as one of the two, please don't.
Young: Why?
Rush: This ship, coming here, was my destiny, my life's work was to be here, not trying to survive on some rock with a bunch of strangers. In fact, you can take my name off the lottery all together.

Great call back... Makes me wonder if he had the chance, would he have gone down to that planet during the evac?

His biggest mistake was in the claim in the first season that he was the leader of the mission. That alone is what led to a lot of mistrust among the people.

Being he DID meet oneill in the expanded Air Pt 1-3, but we didn't see ANYTHING said between the 2 about him being in charge to contradict what he told the crew, how was it a 'claim'?
For all we know, Jack DID make him in charge..

But i do admit, it did show the crew could do well without him. BUT that was planet-side.

spinny magee
April 27th, 2011, 02:03 AM
He's no RDA though

Egle01
April 27th, 2011, 02:06 AM
It proved to me that Rush is nothing more than dead weight and is not needed.Especially if the crew doesn't feel like breathing air or anything.

carmencatalina
April 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Especially if the crew doesn't feel like breathing air or anything.

Quoted for brilliance.

garhkal
April 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Too true. Most seemed more interested in the data, than breathing.

LordRush
April 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Too true. Most seemed more interested in the data, than breathing.

Agreed, someone had to actually go and find what the crew needed desperately to survive in the time to come. Rush did the logical and grown up thing, the rest where too busy scurrying over their diaries! Like hey Chloe can you help us get some supplies? Oh no its ok Matt, look I found my Diary! :rolleyes:

Pharaoh Atem
April 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM
He's no RDA though

your point? RDA stopped caring about SG-1 around season 6