PDA

View Full Version : The Novus space ships

h22chen
April 25th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Did anyone else think that Destiny could calculate where these Novus ships have travelled, caught up with them on FTL, then drop out of FTL and dock with one of the ships to download the databases available in those ships to get the cure, knowledge, etc...? (and if they want, also help transport some of them in advance to the colony).

actuallyliam
April 26th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Theoretically yes, all they'd have to do is go in a relatively straight line to the planet. Destiny would warn them If they registered energy signatures. Jump out of FTL.

They could also theoretically, pull them through FTL with them if they had shields.

ZoSo
April 26th, 2011, 12:18 AM
They probably got blown up by the drones.

ussrelativity
April 26th, 2011, 12:35 AM

That's a very scary thought.

morbosfist
April 26th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Even assuming they could find the ships, which would be very hard to pull off without exact trajectories, what good would it do them? They can't dock with them, can't pull them into FTL (only works when the ships are connected), and can't do much else but talk.

padr49904
April 26th, 2011, 12:47 AM

The drones had only recently started following the Destiny and was tracking it through the open wormhole so with no Stargate on Novus I don't think the drones ever had a reason to go that far out.

And at the end of the episode when you see the Novus ship take off it made me wonder if they were going to have a future episode where they actually find the ships. It couldn't really just be a coincidence they showed what the ship looked like and it flying away.

Kanten
April 26th, 2011, 02:08 AM
The drones had only recently started following the Destiny and was tracking it through the open wormhole so with no Stargate on Novus I don't think the drones ever had a reason to go that far out.

And at the end of the episode when you see the Novus ship take off it made me wonder if they were going to have a future episode where they actually find the ships. It couldn't really just be a coincidence they showed what the ship looked like and it flying away.

Yeah, if I was angry about the cancellation before, I am furious after these two episodes. Honestly, Novus is probably one of, if not the most interesting subplot of the franchise even after only two episodes. What the hell is wrong with TV audiences over here.

ussrelativity
April 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Yeah, if I was angry about the cancellation before, I am furious after these two episodes. Honestly, Novus is probably one of, if not the most interesting subplot of the franchise even after only two episodes. What the hell is wrong with TV audiences over here.

The U.S. TV audience is very fickle, and tends to prefer garbage filth over real intelligent programs. The stupider people are promoted, while the smart are rejected. Partying lifestyles are held up, while older, traditional ways of life are shunned and portrayed as bad, when the opposite is true.

Trinary
April 26th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Strange enough, the seed ship able to track destiny without difficulty, but destiny unable to track the Novusians ship. Most of the Novusian techs are based of part of destiny tech, it should be possible to detect them via long range sensor. A couple days in FTL, destiny probably already in range with the ship. It should cover no more than 50 lightyear range to the direction of the next planet which is has stargate.

One question remain for me is why human always lack of FTL/Hyperdrive invention in Stargate stories? In this case, Novusians civilization should be equivalent to 40th century on earth or at least 30th century advanced race with a Stargate and should have at least an improved wormhole technology to assist them in planetary travel for sake of exploration.

traylormatt
April 26th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Maybe, if the knowledge is in the information they transferred over to Destiny, they will find the schematics for the ships and what course they were plotting to make it very easy to calculate where they would be.

thekillman
April 26th, 2011, 04:07 AM
in terms of "what good would it do". Destiny can transfer it's database while the colony ships can transfer theirs. that way the Novans can develop FTL and Destiny can cure every disease ever

joeynox
April 26th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I missed the first 30 min of this episode . And some of the last. Can someone tell me how they went 2k back in time?

Was it when they dialed from within the star and a solar flare?

Trinary
April 26th, 2011, 04:13 AM
in terms of "what good would it do". Destiny can transfer it's database while the colony ships can transfer theirs. that way the Novans can develop FTL and Destiny can cure every disease ever

Yeah, Destiny could copy the Hyperdrive expert (Amanda) into their databse to help them built a new Hyperdrive engine for their ship. :)

thekillman
April 26th, 2011, 04:18 AM
no need for that. i bet the Destiny has some schematics in its databank

icsteffi
April 26th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Even assuming they could find the ships, which would be very hard to pull off without exact trajectories, what good would it do them? They can't dock with them, can't pull them into FTL (only works when the ships are connected), and can't do much else but talk.

They would be able to get T.J. over there somehow. We've seen before that we don't necessarily need proper docking procedures to get the job done. T.J. jumps over, gets cured. That'd be very nice. :)

icsteffi
April 26th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I missed the first 30 min of this episode . And some of the last. Can someone tell me how they went 2k back in time?

Was it when they dialed from within the star and a solar flare?

Yep. Important stuff, you need to go buy it on itunes or something! It's worth it!! :D

Carter's Boy
April 26th, 2011, 05:12 AM
so are the ships still en-route or are they at new established planet?

cuz the preview for blockade was in a modern city... if the expedition built all that (before the drones) why did the other expedition that Destiny found forst so primitive?

LtColCarter
April 26th, 2011, 06:25 AM
The U.S. TV audience is very fickle, and tends to prefer garbage filth over real intelligent programs. The stupider people are promoted, while the smart are rejected. Partying lifestyles are held up, while older, traditional ways of life are shunned and portrayed as bad, when the opposite is true.

Thanks for the U.S. bashing...

jelgate
April 26th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Lets put credit and blame where they are due. SGU underperformed in all markets not just the US. And the other countries have shown to have a love for reality garbage as much as the US.

mizzoueng
April 26th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Its true though. Shows like Cops, Cheaters, Maury, Springer, MMA, WWE, WWE Tough Enough, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, etc etc are wildly popular while intelligent shows like SGU, Fringe, etc get canceled.

Heck, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader is still on the air.

I said the same thing about the FTL jump to the ships. Someone in another thread mentioned the required jump time though which I forgot. We still have no idea exactly how fast Destiny travels in FTL. They have to travel in 4 hour increments, so they could overshoot the convoy by a lot. They would have to travel to the planet (or further) turn around, and jump back. All the while not gaining the attention of the drones, having enough food for the crew, and not damaging the FTL drives.

Also, Destiny sub-lights could be substantially more powerful than Novian drives, maybe we could catch up with them if we jumped somewhat close.

One question remain for me is why human always lack of FTL/Hyperdrive invention in Stargate stories? In this case, Novusians civilization should be equivalent to 40th century on earth or at least 30th century advanced race with a Stargate and should have at least an improved wormhole technology to assist them in planetary travel for sake of exploration.

See, I don't entirely agree with this. You had 80 people on the planet, of which, say a dozen were intelligent enough to figure out how Destiny class FTL drives work. That doesn't mean they know how to build them. Amanda Perry was probably the only person on the show that could have drawn up specs on how to build FTL drives. Eli taught the rest as much as he could and recorded the rest, but still, you are talking normal intelligence level people surviving on Destiny without advanced tech around them for probably 200 years. Granted they had a head start with the knowledge Eli, Volker, Brody, etc left them, but they wouldn't have had the resources to develop that tech for a long time.

Even 2000 years later they didn't have it. It could have been a power source issue or a raw materials issue or just a lack of interest in the drives since they had the stargate right there. Why deplete natural resources used for other items to build FTL drives or hyperdrives when you have a functioning stargate at your disposal? They could have developed gate ships to transport large loads to and from planets. Even if they had to jump two or three planets it would have been faster than hyperdrives.

I think if they do find the ships
which they won't based on the previews and the spoilers for the last 2 epi's
The Novians will be in stasis. 200 years travel to a distant planet? I would assume if they could sure advanced genetic diseases like ALS over 200 years ago, then they have stasis tech to help those that they have not cured yet.

The Destiny
April 26th, 2011, 08:29 AM

The truth must prevail!

actually that's what I liked. Frankly it's far more realistic. Faster than light travel isn't an easy thing to invent, not even in 2000 years unless copying existing tech. I'm also into warhammer 40K, which is, unsuprisingly, in the year 40.000. They've got faster than light travel in those days but it took them untill the 18th millenium to invent it. Before that generational ships had to be used and planets had to be self sufficient. Those ships took hundreds of years to travel between planets and generations lived and died on board.

jelgate
April 26th, 2011, 08:39 AM
The truth must prevail!

How fortunate its not the truth. Garbage TV from our perspective is a symptom of all markets not just the US

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Garbage Tv is infecting the WHOLE of modern civilisation, not just the USA.

Hell, where i live you can see people devolving on a daily basis.

N.C

The Destiny
April 26th, 2011, 08:56 AM
How fortunate its not the truth. Garbage TV from our perspective is a symptom of all markets not just the US

I was just kidding..

Just extend it to the entirity of TV and it's pretty accurate. Here in Holland we've also got realityshows and stuff that attract most viewers. And also the long line of 10 or so 'Idols' type shows, "hollands next top model" stuff, "whatever dancing on ice" etc.

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Hopefully soon, reality TV will become a "watchers are contestants" type of show, i will then look forward to NOT watching the latest episode of Dancing on a minefield, Antarctic Survivor, Britains next top suicide, Britains got cocaine etc etc

Basically any number of horrible things to await to unfortunate, so we as the surviving people can watch intellectual shows in peace :)

I in no way endorse Eugenics through the above device. :p

N.C

Pharaoh Atem
April 26th, 2011, 09:05 AM

That's a very scary thought.
Sadly it might be the truth :(

LtColCarter
April 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Its true though. Shows like Cops, Cheaters, Maury, Springer, MMA, WWE, WWE Tough Enough, Jersey Shore, Kardashians, etc etc are wildly popular while intelligent shows like SGU, Fringe, etc get canceled.

Heck, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader is still on the air.

All of the shows you named, I don't watch...and they're mainly on during the day time...which is why I hate when I don't have to work because they're nothing on...

And Fringe didn't get cancelled...it was renewed for a 4th season. :D

LtColCarter
April 26th, 2011, 09:22 AM
The truth must prevail!

Ahh yes...but if we were England bashing, Germany bashing or another country...we'd get yelled at by a mod...but its ok to US bash.

ussrelativity
April 26th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hmmm... quite the reaction.

I am from the U.S., and am a wrestling fan also.

I really think that WWE has no place on a supposed science-fiction network. The only real reason why Smack Down was put on SyFy was that the parent owner is the same owner of USA network, where RAW is aired on.

I begin to think that the production of high-end science fiction programs will end up becoming a labor of love, where a large amount of money is needed to just throw at it with no intent of recouping all the money if it just to get the story done right. If I had the money, I'd finance both SGU and V. Both have incredible stories, increasingly interesting people and talent, and must continue their stories.

Now, to get back on topic:

When I saw that ship take off from Novus, I just lit up. When the camera panned up over the school to show the village, then a more advanced city, then even more advanced, and showing the ship take off, really takes the show in an even bigger direction.

If those ships do have the information for the cure for TJ, then they may even be able to help them restore Destiny, and be able to really accomplish the ship's mission.

Wow! I just hit 4,000 posts!

The Destiny
April 26th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Ahh yes...but if we were England bashing, Germany bashing or another country...we'd get yelled at by a mod...but its ok to US bash.

I hereby invite thee to bash Holland.

Anyway, I was going for hilarity, not for correctnes.

I'm just wondering how big the ships must've been to carry millions. It certainly wasn't the ship we saw at the end of the episode, even a fleet of those wouldn't carry millions.

Kaiphantom
April 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM
The Novians could be in stasis, but I think they mentioned generational ships, which means people living and working on them, having families, etc.

Anyway, just because the Novians are traveling normally through space, still doesn't say how fast they are traveling. And since every object in space is in motion, you try to calculate where something is when the starting point and ending point are in constant motion, and you don't know how fast something is traveling.

To give you an idea of what you're up against, your objective is to find a specific bird that left a cargo ship in the middle of the Atlantic and is currently heading to a spot where it expects a cargo ship in the pacific to be when it gets there. Think you can do it?

Eli said it: Space is big, really freakin' big. After 10 years, the distance between an object traveling 500 kph, and one traveling 1,000 kph, is going to be incredibly huge. And as I said, we have no idea how fast the Novian ships are traveling. However, it is still possible we might end up detecting them if we follow the likely path, but that would possibly be an episode in the non-existent season 3.

Edit: to answer the garbage TV thing, it is a symptom of the markets. Reality TV, Wrestling, and other such shows, are incredibly cheap to produce. They may get lower ratings, but overall profit is higher. And in any segment of the population, you will have have the population of below average intelligence, and thus entertained by such things.

The solution to the problem is to convince everyone you know to stop watching reality TV, Wrestling and other such shows. Tell them that, the more they watch, the less likely they will get more intelligent plots. For all my dislike of things in SGU, at least it was trying to be a cut above.

Loki0002
April 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Sadly it might be the truth :(

Since the Novusian ships were built with the original crew's awareness of the drones, one should hope they are prepared to defend against them. Also, wouldn't the drones already have attacked Novus, given it's gate activity (until 30 years ago)? No telling how long the drones have been out there; presumably longer than 30 years.

zainea13
April 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
FYI folks, American reality tv has it roots in foreign television. Namely England, a lot of the first Reality shows are American adaptations.

Also reality tv is pennies on the dollar (maybe even on the 5's of dollars) of Science fiction.

Another fact, the majority of people aren't sci-fi fans, sorry folks but it's the truth! SG-1 worked for sci-fi for one reason that is different than Fringe or SGU ... it was serialized (or is that backwards?) people didn't have to tune in every week to pick up on it. You missed an episode, oh well, probably just another battle with Apophis. SGU, you miss an episode, you miss a lot, you have to really be dedicated to the show to stay with it.

Also, SGU's first season had some really drawn out story lines.

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
We in England can only apologise profusely for sending this **** across the air waves.

Almost in the same way USA gave us the BAD gangsta rappers that just sucked.

N.C

LtColCarter
April 26th, 2011, 12:28 PM
We in England can only apologise profusely for sending this **** across the air waves.

Almost in the same way USA gave us the BAD gangsta rappers that just sucked.

N.C

Allow me to correct that...they threw themselves on the world. Any self-respecting citizen wouldn't claim them!

thekillman
April 26th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I hereby invite thee to bash Holland.

NOOO
what did we do?

*looks at the TV*

never mind, go ahead. we got a dozen channels filled with class A++ garbage. plus at least 3 DEDICATED to producing the most high quality garbage possible.

Ukko
April 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Thats because we are the greatest thing in the universe, and if you bash us, the Gods will smite thee.:p

And for those of you who couldnt tell (and you do exist) that was a joke.

The Destiny
April 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM
NOOO
what did we do?

*looks at the TV*

never mind, go ahead. we got a dozen channels filled with class A++ garbage. plus at least 3 DEDICATED to producing the most high quality garbage possible.

I'm guessing you're dutch too :)

thekillman
April 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM
what gave it away?

XD

anyone have any pictures of the Novus ships?

morbosfist
April 26th, 2011, 01:47 PM
what gave it away?

XD

anyone have any pictures of the Novus ships?http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/7146/novusship.th.jpg (http://img861.imageshack.us/i/novusship.jpg/)

There's one.

kirmit
April 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/kirmit/novasship.jpg

Edit: Ah Morbo beat me to it :sam:.

LordRush
April 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Cool looking ship

LordRush
April 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Maybe the Novus Bigger ships looked something like this:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/is300sd/the_return.jpg

Schrodinger's Cat
April 26th, 2011, 03:03 PM
It looks more like a suborbital "spaceplane" than an actual starship.

Trinary
April 26th, 2011, 03:14 PM
See, I don't entirely agree with this. You had 80 people on the planet, of which, say a dozen were intelligent enough to figure out how Destiny class FTL drives work. That doesn't mean they know how to build them. Amanda Perry was probably the only person on the show that could have drawn up specs on how to build FTL drives. Eli taught the rest as much as he could and recorded the rest, but still, you are talking normal intelligence level people surviving on Destiny without advanced tech around them for probably 200 years. Granted they had a head start with the knowledge Eli, Volker, Brody, etc left them, but they wouldn't have had the resources to develop that tech for a long time.

Even 2000 years later they didn't have it. It could have been a power source issue or a raw materials issue or just a lack of interest in the drives since they had the stargate right there. Why deplete natural resources used for other items to build FTL drives or hyperdrives when you have a functioning stargate at your disposal? They could have developed gate ships to transport large loads to and from planets. Even if they had to jump two or three planets it would have been faster than hyperdrives.

A Kino and a Stargate available to them for a 2000 years yet no one ever to copy it's technology for a space travel or at least a common transportation. I'm for once if living in that society will looking into a hover gate ship transportation to get resources from other planet or surviving exploration in a hostile conditions on some of inhabitable planets.

Then a space travel to the nearby planet that don't have stargate and then having close scrutiny into the Stargate technology to develop some kind of a wormhole drive for the space ship. I doubt there was no one ever curious what inside those 2 advanced devices.

morbosfist
April 26th, 2011, 04:52 PM
A Kino and a Stargate available to them for a 2000 years yet no one ever to copy it's technology for a space travel or at least a common transportation. I'm for once if living in that society will looking into a hover gate ship transportation to get resources from other planet or surviving exploration in a hostile conditions on some of inhabitable planets.

Then a space travel to the nearby planet that don't have stargate and then having close scrutiny into the Stargate technology to develop some kind of a wormhole drive for the space ship. I doubt there was no one ever curious what inside those 2 advanced devices.Being able to learn how a device works and reproducing it are two entirely different things. First, they lacked the tools to even disassemble such devices, and would lack them until very late in their development. The Stargates in particular are beyond all but the most advanced Milky Way races. No group of humans, even given a couple of millenia, are going to cross that divide. The Kinos they obviously did reproduce, or at least copied technology from.

Harkonnen
April 26th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Here is a slightly bigger picture of the ship. In 720p if you click on it.

http://i.imgur.com/fIMRh.jpg (http://imgur.com/fIMRh)

LordRush
April 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM
So from our understanding theres possibilities on whats going on since the Novus ships arent capable of FTL:

1)Destiny catches up with the Novus Ships or finds a way to track them down
2)Drone frigate finds and destroys the Novus Ships :eek:
3)The Novus people makes it to its destination after Destiny drops off the settlers and we never get to see anything

LtColCarter
April 26th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Cool ship :-)

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I still think it looks like the Drone Carrier from Resurgence.

Just with bits tagged on.

N.C

morbosfist
April 26th, 2011, 05:54 PM
The drone carrier is rounded and larger.

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Exactly, with bits tagged on :)

I hope one of the ships didnt go AI crazy and use its passengers for neural mass whilst it grew and evolved into a DC.

.. maybe not but its always fun to speculate ..

N.C

Gollumpus
April 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
When I saw that ship take off from Novus, I just lit up. When the camera panned up over the school to show the village, then a more advanced city, then even more advanced, and showing the ship take off, really takes the show in an even bigger direction.

I took it as a tip of the hat to opening credits for ST:E.

regards,
G.

geddarkstorm
April 26th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Definitely a sleeper class ship. Isn't likely that'll work for a generational for 200 years.

Also, space is mind boggling big. How many people here know how fast our solar system is screaming through the galaxy? Go back 200 years from where you are right now and you'd be in interstellar space. So the ships have to take a trajectory out of the system to hit a rapidly moving target; and that's not calculating in the positions of the planets in the system or the one they are after. And then how are they going to slow down once they reach that target? The answer to that will completely change their strategy and trajectories, speeds, and what maneuvers they do while on the journey. Only Star Trek had sensors so absurdly powerful enough to detect such a pinprick of a ship in the infinite void; something never seen in Stargate by any race.

garhkal
April 26th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Did anyone else think that Destiny could calculate where these Novus ships have travelled, caught up with them on FTL, then drop out of FTL and dock with one of the ships to download the databases available in those ships to get the cure, knowledge, etc...? (and if they want, also help transport some of them in advance to the colony).

Being it wouldn't surprise me that this may be part of the last 2 eps.. Yes i do think they could.

They can get a proper copy of the database.
Ferry the people on it a lot quicker.
Scavenge it for parts.

Strange enough, the seed ship able to track destiny without difficulty, but destiny unable to track the Novusians ship. Most of the Novusian techs are based of part of destiny tech, it should be possible to detect them via long range sensor. A couple days in FTL, destiny probably already in range with the ship. It should cover no more than 50 lightyear range to the direction of the next planet which is has stargate.

Thats cause the ships share a subspace connection.

That way the Novans can develop FTL and Destiny can cure every disease ever

Just cause they can transfer the data on FTL does not mean the Novans can make it work.

cuz the preview for blockade was in a modern city... if the expedition built all that (before the drones) why did the other expedition that Destiny found forst so primitive?

Perhaps it was preset up as another of those colonies (like Futura) but the loss of the gate is what hampered them.

Hell, where i live you can see people devolving on a daily basis.

Idiocracy here we come!

Since the Novusian ships were built with the original crew's awareness of the drones, one should hope they are prepared to defend against them. Also, wouldn't the drones already have attacked Novus, given it's gate activity (until 30 years ago)? No telling how long the drones have been out there; presumably longer than 30 years.

Maybe if we encountered them closer TO novus, they may have detected it. BUT since we only got them to that one colony (which was 8 days away iirc) cause they were following US, it is highly unlikely the drones ever encountered the Novans.

There's one.

Thanks. Didn't see any signs of weaponry.

I still think it looks like the Drone Carrier from Resurgence.

No where close.

LordRush
April 26th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I agree the ships look totally different heres a pic of the Drone Frigate

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/is300sd/dronefrigate1.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/is300sd/dronefrigate.jpg

Puddle-Jumper
April 26th, 2011, 08:11 PM

Ya if only talking with them, exchanging information.. if only that could help one of the crew members with a fatal genetic condition on board Destiny... if only...

Ya I was wondering about this too, like Destiny was able to pick up power signatures from the debris field where they first encountered the drones which was a days journey FTL.. this planet was 5 days away FTL so surely Destiny could just do 4 or 5 jumps (or more) between Novus and the other planet and surely they'd be able to detect a power signature for the ships, like it would basically be a straight line. Even if power was an issue, they could just jump back and forth between the stars indefininetly until they find the ship, stopping at different points each time, like how long could it take them to find the novus ships.. a few months tops? Power wouldn't be an issue, the people of the colony would no doubt be happy to supply them with food and water given they are the ancestors and that they've helped the other colonists. I know Destinys FTL engines need to stay online for x amount at a time and they need to wait between jumps but that would just give them plenty of time to scan for the Novus ships and make repairs on Destiny. If they did find them, Im sure the shuttle would be able to dock with Destiny, like all it needs to do is make an airtight seal on a door and then Destiny could ferry people back and forth, stay around with the Novians for a few months making repairs to the ship stocking up on supplies.. and its not like Rush or anyone else onboard would have a problem with getting the only medic they have onboard the Destiny cured of ALS

I loved these past 2 episodes though but there seemed like a few obvious plot points that tptb just kinda ignored

Pharaoh Atem
April 26th, 2011, 08:12 PM
i doubt that info was carried down after 2000 years.

Blackhole
April 26th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Definitely a sleeper class ship. Isn't likely that'll work for a generational for 200 years.

Also, space is mind boggling big. How many people here know how fast our solar system is screaming through the galaxy? Go back 200 years from where you are right now and you'd be in interstellar space. So the ships have to take a trajectory out of the system to hit a rapidly moving target; and that's not calculating in the positions of the planets in the system or the one they are after. And then how are they going to slow down once they reach that target? The answer to that will completely change their strategy and trajectories, speeds, and what maneuvers they do while on the journey. Only Star Trek had sensors so absurdly powerful enough to detect such a pinprick of a ship in the infinite void; something never seen in Stargate by any race.

I don't agree. Atlantis had long range sensors that could detect Wraith ships weeks out and they were traveling at hyperspace velocities. I think it would have been well within Destiny's technical capability to find the Novus ships. The time of departure and the exact course was known. It would have been a simple matter to calculate a range of high and low sub-light velocities and determine a location area. At sub-light velocities the size of this window would be relatively quite small for sensors designed to function over FTL distances. A search grid could easily be created and all that would remain would be for Destiny to drop out of FTL at the number of points necessary to find them. Even if it took months (which I think unlikely) saving TJ's life would be more than worth their search time.

Keeper
April 26th, 2011, 08:59 PM
even if destiny's sensors were able to pick up the novus ships, and even if they were able to physically locate them: who says they can talk to them? or even make physical contact with them?

in atlantis, when testing the gatebridge, the team came were passed by an ancient ship under the doppler effect because it was moving so close to the speed of light, yet still less than it. because of this, the ancients weren't able to detect the earthship, and it took pushing the ships engines to the limit to get them to be aware at all. only after the ancients started deceleration manoeuvres were they able to make contact with our ship.

if the novus ships are able to move that fast, then it would be down to whether destiny could come close. if they could, and IF someone was awake on the novus ship, then sure, they could sort something out. if, in fact, it's a sleeper ship rather than generational, then the hopes of getting contact are slim to none.

Blackhole
April 26th, 2011, 09:14 PM
even if destiny's sensors were able to pick up the novus ships, and even if they were able to physically locate them: who says they can talk to them? or even make physical contact with them?

in atlantis, when testing the gatebridge, the team came were passed by an ancient ship under the doppler effect because it was moving so close to the speed of light, yet still less than it. because of this, the ancients weren't able to detect the earthship, and it took pushing the ships engines to the limit to get them to be aware at all. only after the ancients started deceleration manoeuvres were they able to make contact with our ship.

if the novus ships are able to move that fast, then it would be down to whether destiny could come close. if they could, and IF someone was awake on the novus ship, then sure, they could sort something out. if, in fact, it's a sleeper ship rather than generational, then the hopes of getting contact are slim to none.

You make valid points but what do they loose by trying. If supplies were a concern then the Novans could be dropped off first and the search begun afterwards.

Shylodog
April 26th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Only Star Trek had sensors so absurdly powerful enough to detect such a pinprick of a ship in the infinite void; something never seen in Stargate by any race.

The Asgard were able to detect Promethius as it was the first hyperspace capable ship with Earth as a point of origin, and one would presume they weren't sitting in a listening post waiting for us to do it. Also, they detected Teal'c's and Sam's cargo ship when they emerged from hyperspace close to the black hole created by the replicators. An extemely small target to detect by ship standards.

In Common Descent, Eli and Camille stated that they brought the drones. It's likely that once Destiny eluded the drones, continued use of the gates on the other colonized worlds drew the drones to them.

Being a parent (especially since we recently had our fourth child who is only 18 months old) I can't get the horrific images of small children being slaughtered by the drones - even if they can't show it on TV - out of my imagination. That's what makes me sad. :(

norph
April 27th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Another factor to consider is Destiny's engine must travel for 3 hours before it can dropped out without damaging the engines. That kinda limits the ability of Destiny to search an area since they could travel quite a distance in 3 hours.

Also it depends if the Destiny's sensors are good enough to detect objects while in FTL. For all we know, Destiny may be relatively "blind" while in FTL and getting all it's data of planetary objects from the seeds ship (which may the ships with more powerful sensors) ahead and nearby stargates that communicate with Destiny when it's nearby.

The Swarm
April 27th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Another factor to consider is Destiny's engine must travel for 3 hours before it can dropped out without damaging the engines. That kinda limits the ability of Destiny to search an area since they could travel quite a distance in 3 hours.

Also it depends if the Destiny's sensors are good enough to detect objects while in FTL. For all we know, Destiny may be relatively "blind" while in FTL and getting all it's data of planetary objects from the seeds ship (which may the ships with more powerful sensors) ahead and nearby stargates that communicate with Destiny when it's nearby.

Assuming that it travels in real time and space....

morbosfist
April 27th, 2011, 01:18 AM
The Asgard were able to detect Promethius as it was the first hyperspace capable ship with Earth as a point of origin, and one would presume they weren't sitting in a listening post waiting for us to do it. Also, they detected Teal'c's and Sam's cargo ship when they emerged from hyperspace close to the black hole created by the replicators. An extemely small target to detect by ship standards.Uh, you may want to check your facts.

The Asgard specifically mention that they monitor Earth pretty much constantly. Easy to see something if you were already looking. Thor was already in the vicinity when Sam and Teal'c arrived, so not special, and he was the one who made the black hole, not the Replicators.

Vicious
April 27th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Potential Plot Hole: The novus ships don't necessarily have to go directly to the planet. All they really needed was a planet *nearby* Novus, grab the Stargate, and move everyone through. I'd give a mission like that 20 years at the most, depending on how far away the nearest planet is. But, considering they took a couple of gates to get to Novus, a planet really shouldn't be too far away. Alternatively, they could just land near a Stargate on one of these other planets and move everyone through. Problem solved. Cute ships though.

Nth Chevron
April 27th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Not plot hole, you info is wrong - the Stargate was destroyed by Magma so it DOES have to be the closest Stargate world.

Also, what do you think about Destiny NOT using all 16 of her FTL drives, if it is even possible.

Maybe with 1 or 2 activated she can go slower and search an area like that distance in about a week or 10 ?

N.C

Vicious
April 27th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Nth, I mean they can ride the ship to the closest planet and gate to the "Alpha Colony"

Vicious
April 27th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Also, what do you think about Destiny NOT using all 16 of her FTL drives, if it is even possible.

Maybe with 1 or 2 activated she can go slower and search an area like that distance in about a week or 10 ?

N.C

I agree, they can at least look around. For Tj's sake.

Steelbox
April 27th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I did some calulation on distance to the planet, on the speed of Novus ship and Destinty. Please pick it apart and tell me if i did it correctly.

Novus ship ETA: 220 years considering they united their efforts after the colony lost contact when the stargate was buried in lava 30 years ago so i gave 20 years for them to build the ships. And i assumed they left 10 years ago.
Destiny ETA 10 days

Light speed: 300.000 m/s or 300km/s
2.081.376.000.000 km in 220 years is the lenght they would travel in light speed. Now since they dont have FTL lets assume they are traveling at 40% speed of light which gives 120Km/s, in 220 years they would travel 832.550.400.000km. This is the estimated distance to the planet. Since Destiny can travel this distance in 10 days. She can travel at 3.212 times speed of light

Detailed calulations:
Speed of light: 300.000m/s or 300kms
18.000km in a minute
1.080.000 km in a hour
25.920.000km in a day
9.490.800.000km in a year
2.081.376.000.000km in 220 years

at 40% speed of light

120kms
7.200km in a minute
432.000km in a hour
10.368.000km in a day
3.784.320.000km in a year
832.550.400.000km in 220 years

Destiny "can" traverse 832.550.400.000km in 10 days or
83.255.040.000km in a day or
3.468.960.000Km in a hour or
57.816.000Km in a minute or
963.600km in a second
3.212 times the speed of light if the Novus ship can travel at 40% speed. Since the Apollo traveled at 38.000Kmh a assumed it was safe to think they would at 432.000kmh.

Keeper
April 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Nth, I mean they can ride the ship to the closest planet and gate to the "Alpha Colony"

based on the apparent limitations of the gate system in universe, the alpha colony is on either the closest stargate world, or the closest 'safe' stargate world. they wouldn't have been looking for 'perfect' - just good enough to start up again.

either way, they can't stop off at mcdonalds and chuck everyone into the gate-thru lane :p

thekillman
April 27th, 2011, 10:24 AM
She can travel at 3.212 times speed of light

it can traverse more than a million lightyears in a month.

the ship looks like a cross between a Galactica, an Aurora and a hiveship

sicario
April 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I still think they could find the novan ships .

they are traveling to the closest planet with a stargate IIRC, witch means maybe 3 or 4 stars away, wich is HUGE i know, and since they are traveling at sublight, they should use the gravitation forces to make them go faster, making their path predictable by destiny, since she has information of most of the stars in the galaxy or near stargates transmited by the seed ships .

now, im sure their extact date of departure, the ships design and speed was in the database, so im pretty sure destiny could pin point the location in space where the ships COULD be , and from there do small jumps around it for a few weeks until it finds them.

they could also leave thw shutles with food and a crew to scout a position while destiny scouts another.

i want them to find those ships :[

xD

The Destiny
April 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I imagined the Novus ships to be generational ships.. like these. They'd go at sublight and it would take a couple hundred years to reach the closest planet, but they could live comfortably, more or less..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Neill_cylinder

Trinary
April 27th, 2011, 12:02 PM
The known destiny long range sensor could detect a faint energy signature from destroyed space ships about 1 day FTL journey (Resurgence Ep.). More or less is about a 10 light years away. I guess, it should not be difficult to find that ship.

sicario
April 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM
i think destiny is perfectly capable of calculate the trajectory of the novas spaceships.

since they use sublight, I supose the have programed the best path possible around starts to get to the planet, taking advantage of gravity and momentum of nearby stars.

since they know when they departure and the specification of the ships (they saw them in the database, i hope xD), they can travel to that specific portion os space and start scanning making small jumps and everything for weeks, they could find them sooner or later (lets not forget destiny has information os most of the stars in between stargates, sended by the seeder ships).

they can even cover 3 times the space by using the shutles like scout stations while they jump to another portion os space.

LordRush
April 27th, 2011, 12:29 PM
The known destiny long range sensor could detect a faint energy signature from destroyed space ships about 1 day FTL journey (Resurgence Ep.). More or less is about a 10 light years away. I guess, it should not be difficult to find that ship.

Bingo! Also remember that destiny can recreate a battle simulation from the left over derelict ships to show you what they looked like or what events took place. So yes destiny has the ability to detect large or small space ships, they shouldn't have any difficulty to find them.

LtColCarter
April 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM

This is true...

Blackhole
April 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I did some calulation on distance to the planet, on the speed of Novus ship and Destinty. Please pick it apart and tell me if i did it correctly.

Novus ship ETA: 220 years considering they united their efforts after the colony lost contact when the stargate was buried in lava 30 years ago so i gave 20 years for them to build the ships. And i assumed they left 10 years ago.
Destiny ETA 10 days

Light speed: 300.000 m/s or 300km/s
2.081.376.000.000 km in 220 years is the lenght they would travel in light speed. Now since they dont have FTL lets assume they are traveling at 40% speed of light which gives 120Km/s, in 220 years they would travel 832.550.400.000km. This is the estimated distance to the planet. Since Destiny can travel this distance in 10 days. She can travel at 3.212 times speed of light

I don't think so. To keep the math simple if we assume the Novan ships are traveling at 50% the speed of light then Destiny is traveling 4015 times light speed. Their ships would take 220 years or 80,300 days to make the trip. Destiny can do it in 10 days or 8,030 times faster, or (8,030/2) 4,015 times the speed of light.

morbosfist
April 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Bingo! Also remember that destiny can recreate a battle simulation from the left over derelict ships to show you what they looked like or what events took place. So yes destiny has the ability to detect large or small space ships, they shouldn't have any difficulty to find them.It was able to detect the residual energy signatures of those ships. It could not detect the actual ships until it arrived. It also could not detect the drone command ship when it was only an hour away by FTL. Ergo, not that advanced.

Gala
April 27th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I did some calulation on distance

You did it wrong dude.

SOL Metres per second: 299,792,458

Assuming their ships travel at 40% of speed of light.

Their speed = 119,916,983 m/s.

That means 756,340,396,439,040,000 meters traveled in 200 years.

SO destiny travels that distance at 875,393,977,360 meters a second.

That's 2920 times the speed of light.

Crazy numbers I know but such is the beauty of the universe!

Interstingly that's roughly 36 days to cross our galaxy.

edit

actually I did something wrong too...missed a 0 out :P all corrected now

garhkal
April 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I don't agree. Atlantis had long range sensors that could detect Wraith ships weeks out and they were traveling at hyperspace velocities. I think it would have been well within Destiny's technical capability to find the Novus ships.

But how much father advanced than the Destiny is Atlantis?? 100000 years? 10000??

The Asgard were able to detect Promethius as it was the first hyperspace capable ship with Earth as a point of origin, and one would presume they weren't sitting in a listening post waiting for us to do it. Also, they detected Teal'c's and Sam's cargo ship when they emerged from hyperspace close to the black hole created by the replicators. An extemely small target to detect by ship standards.

But we have seen then detect ships cause of their hyperspace exit window before.

Keeper
April 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I still think they could find the novan ships .

they are traveling to the closest planet with a stargate IIRC, witch means maybe 3 or 4 stars away, wich is HUGE i know, and since they are traveling at sublight, they should use the gravitation forces to make them go faster, making their path predictable by destiny, since she has information of most of the stars in the galaxy or near stargates transmited by the seed ships .

now, im sure their extact date of departure, the ships design and speed was in the database, so im pretty sure destiny could pin point the location in space where the ships COULD be , and from there do small jumps around it for a few weeks until it finds them.

they could also leave thw shutles with food and a crew to scout a position while destiny scouts another.

i want them to find those ships :[

xD
assuming the recovered sections of the database included that info, you're possibly right.

on the other hand, they can't really leave the shuttle to scout one spot, while destiny checks another - the stops when they drop out of FTL mean that they'll have plenty of time to scan using destiny. but the wear and tear on the engines will be phenomenal if they have to fly along the route and drop out every so often. also, iirc there's a certain amount of time they're supposed to be in FTL before dropping out - meaning the time they end up wasting could easily go to days, and possibly even weeks, and that's before they need to resupply.

time that could be spent moving toward their destination - which, if it turns out* to be 'god' after all - will be able to provide the cure TJ needs, and a means to actually get home, instead of more people to either look after or get rid of, with nothing to contribute to the mission** the destiny is on.

*yes i realise that the show is cancelled. at time of filming that wasn't known, and we're losing out on 3 years of the total arc since the story the writers were working with at the time was aimed to cover a total of 5 years.

**while the novus ships have plenty to contribute to earth, it's fair to say that they clearly have little of value to the destiny crew. spare parts and food are all very well - but they're likely to need anything they shipped with for their new homeworld. their engine tech is far behind what even earth's engine tech is at the moment, so they're not going to speed destiny any further to the end of its road.

medicines can also contribute, however destiny has been doing fine so far and there's no way to know if the novus ships have any on board - and even if they do, they will again likely need all of these for their new world.

any knowledge gained by novus while scouting is also effectively useless to destiny - it will only be of planets relatively close to novus, while the destiny will probably leave this galaxy pretty soon anyway. additionally, destiny seems to be aware of which planets to stay clear of without sending a kino to them, so it's not likely the novus people have information we can't get hold of.

Trinary
April 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM
But I'm worry if Destiny will found the ship, but only it's wreckage after it was destroyed by the drones. Without FTL or Hyperdrive, it's a sitting duck because it's energy signature is detectable by a long range sensors from any space ship.

Keeper
April 27th, 2011, 06:20 PM
But I'm worry if Destiny will found the ship, but only it's wreckage after it was destroyed by the drones. Without FTL or Hyperdrive, it's a sitting duck because it's energy signature is detectable by a long range sensors from any space ship.
unlikely, since in common descent rush and eli figured out that the drones had tracked destiny by gate usage.

since the novus people were using the stargate at various points over the last 2000 years, it's safe to say that the drones only came to their corner of the universe because of destiny, and destiny only brought them 30 years after the evacuees had left.

since the novus gate itself hasn't been used in 30 years, nothing could have led the drones to the planet - and there was no evidence of destruction from them either. they've no reason to be looking for a rogue energy signature, and there are no uses of stargates to alert them to the evacuees. they're safe imho.

Trinary
April 27th, 2011, 06:27 PM
The drones will attack the Novus ship like they attack the Ursini ships without discrimination as long as it's another civilization. The Stargate detection just another methods of tracking added into the drones programming.

The drones now is as smart as the replicator. It's a scary thought...

Keeper
April 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM
however, the drones didn't follow destiny when it dropped out of ftl - they follwed on gate usage. now, if they were really likely to hang around a planet with no remaining tech for a couple of hundred years, waiting for the novus ships, i'd agree they might be at risk - but with no gate usage or energy signature to take them to the planet, they've no reason to go in that direction. and imho, destiny being ignored until it used the gate suggests that they don't have an interest in tracking ship signals.

as for the ursini, my understanding there was that the ursini had been at war with the drones for a very long time. in that case, ursini signals were no doubt on record, and no doubt being specifically targeted. they weren't attacked indiscriminately - they were identified as a viable target due to the history involved.

norph
April 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM
unlikely, since in common descent rush and eli figured out that the drones had tracked destiny by gate usage.

since the novus people were using the stargate at various points over the last 2000 years, it's safe to say that the drones only came to their corner of the universe because of destiny, and destiny only brought them 30 years after the evacuees had left.

since the novus gate itself hasn't been used in 30 years, nothing could have led the drones to the planet - and there was no evidence of destruction from them either. they've no reason to be looking for a rogue energy signature, and there are no uses of stargates to alert them to the evacuees. they're safe imho.

I think in this situation, the low tech (relatively) of the Novus ships will work for them. Since the Novus ship is not travelling at FTL they probably don't give off alot of energy, I think the chances of the drones detecting them is fairly small, since Eli said it was hard for them (Destiny) to find the Novus ship and they have some knowledge of their path and probably speed.

However, I think they said most of the Novus people left the planet by Stargate before it was destroyed (only those left behind band togther and build ships), I think for those people they might be at risk. Since the drones came into that part of the galaxy recently, the drones might be at this time destroying those people now.

Keeper
April 27th, 2011, 07:21 PM
However, I think they said most of the Novus people left the planet by Stargate before it was destroyed (only those left behind band togther and build ships), I think for those people they might be at risk. Since the drones came into that part of the galaxy recently, the drones might be at this time destroying those people now.
unless those people are busy using gates nowadays, i doubt it tbh.

the novus people have a civilisation to rebuild. possibly even internal differences to resolve still - they worked together to leave novus, but it didn't state explicitly that everyone was happy and things would be perfect. i don't think they've much time to spare on using stargates.

of course, thats just pure guesswork on my part, but rome wasn't built in a day. with a population of millions to settle in, provide shelter for, and provide food for, i'm hoping it's a reasonable guess :p

Puddle-Jumper
April 27th, 2011, 07:57 PM
*sigh* Im having this exact same debate with morbosfist over in the ALS cure thread.

Kanten
April 27th, 2011, 09:03 PM
it can traverse more than a million lightyears in a month.

That, of course, was before the ship got the crap kicked out of it by drones.

Loki0002
April 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
i doubt that info was carried down after 2000 years.

I dunno; the Novusians have clung to every word uttered by Eli and the rest of the crew; no doubt some record of their encounters with the drones was captured.

allen200
April 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
these descendents of theirs would be 2000 years more advance than the crew. besides not having destiny itself, they are in more of a position to give aid, including curing whats her name.

on a side note, im so bummed they are cancelling this show. its my fav thing on tv these days.

Shylodog
April 27th, 2011, 10:33 PM
these descendents of theirs would be 2000 years more advance than the crew. besides not having destiny itself, they are in more of a position to give aid, including curing whats her name.

They are not 2000 years more advanced. At best I would say 200 years more advanced (not to include the stuff we borrowed, learned or were given by alien races) than Earth current day. What can be said for them is that they did it all on their own (Kinos excluded, of course).

thekillman
April 27th, 2011, 11:37 PM
yes i'd say 200-300 years more advanced than modern earth.

we know that the Destiny can detect faint energy signatures. but can we detect an energy signature off the generational ships? you know that the entire ship could just go to 50 PSL , freeze it's crew to preserve them and drift the rest of the journey with minimal energy signatures?

LordRush
April 28th, 2011, 12:38 AM
yes i'd say 200-300 years more advanced than modern earth.

we know that the Destiny can detect faint energy signatures. but can we detect an energy signature off the generational ships? you know that the entire ship could just go to 50 PSL , freeze it's crew to preserve them and drift the rest of the journey with minimal energy signatures?

Thats true, if they use stasis pods they can freeze the crew, and use minimal power to drift all the way to their destination. Kinda reminds me of 'Pandorum' :eek:

Vicious
April 28th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Thats true, if they use stasis pods they can freeze the crew, and use minimal power to drift all the way to their destination. Kinda reminds me of 'Pandorum' :eek:

Bingo my friend! They have plenty of stasis pods.

On another note, those ships should be easily trackable, sublight engines probably give some sort of really obvious trails or something like that. Stargate writers are good at making up those sort of plot devices. Assuming they left within 20 years, should be obvious to detect based on the radioactive decay blah blah blah.....

Gala
April 28th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Don't even need to keep them running?? It's space they are probably just floating through the void.. unless they kept 200 years worth of fuel on board.

Vicious
April 28th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Don't even need to keep them running?? It's space they are probably just floating through the void.. unless they kept 200 years worth of fuel on board.

I agree.

Nth Chevron
April 28th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Novus knew of the drones, i think they had to, ship construction backs me up and also lets me down.

- No FTL, could be they werent that smart

or

+ Sleeper ship headed for space with nothing that can affect subspace
+ Drones are drawn to subspace events
+ could also explain the lack of an FTL drive/hyperdrive (which the ancestors knew how to build)
+ admittedly the ship doesnt look like a DC, appears i was looking at a pic that just wasnt a DC at all. *facepalm*
+ BUT the ship does look sleek and stealthy, like it wants to glide along and not atract attention.
+ Dense black material on outer hull looks stealthy

Thats all i have for now.

N.C

Steelbox
April 28th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Well they could try to send a subspace message. This kind of message travel alot farther than people think. Relatively safe since the drones only tracked Destiny trough the use of the Stargate.

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 06:43 AM
+ Sleeper ship headed for space with nothing that can affect subspace
+ Drones are drawn to subspace events
+ could also explain the lack of an FTL drive/hyperdrive (which the ancestors knew how to build)

on the other hand, drones weren't drawn to eli's SOS from the gate. they also didn't seem to be drawn to destiny dropping out of FTL - and i also don't think destiny's ftl was ever confirmed whether or not it uses subspace. at least not on screen.

additionally - eli and rush only figured out in common descent how the drones were tracking them. it's not something the novus people would have had on record, and if they didn't experience the drones themselves they wouldn't have had any way to learn about them other than limited reports from diaries.

i'm not entirely convinced that the novus space programme was particularly advanced - they had access to a stargate, and their only known enemy in the galaxy shared the planet with them. it's mentioned that when both sides realised the danger of the rogue black hole, and the planetary instability, they came together and built ships to leave. to me, it's possible that while they may have had orbital craft, but nothing for interstellar travel before then.

in fact, when destiny arrives at novus, there's not even an indication of orbital debris - so it's hard to know how much of the programme was theoretical, and how much had actually been put into practice before now. these ships may have been their first practical application of an advanced theoretical space programme - one with no time to figure out FTL mechanics.

the ancestors did not in fact know how to build an FTL drive imho - no one on destiny has ever indicated that they can. they're able to repair it - which is a little bit different. for example, i can change a lightbulb, but i don't have the faintest clue how to make one - and engines are much more advanced. it's (relatively) easy to plug in a spare part if you know where it goes, not so easy to put it together from scratch without at least a visual reference.

LtColCarter
April 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
on the other hand, drones weren't drawn to eli's SOS from the gate. they also didn't seem to be drawn to destiny dropping out of FTL - and i also don't think destiny's ftl was ever confirmed whether or not it uses subspace. at least not on screen.

additionally - eli and rush only figured out in common descent how the drones were tracking them. it's not something the novus people would have had on record, and if they didn't experience the drones themselves they wouldn't have had any way to learn about them other than limited reports from diaries.

i'm not entirely convinced that the novus space programme was particularly advanced - they had access to a stargate, and their only known enemy in the galaxy shared the planet with them. it's mentioned that when both sides realised the danger of the rogue black hole, and the planetary instability, they came together and built ships to leave. to me, it's possible that while they may have had orbital craft, but nothing for interstellar travel before then.

in fact, when destiny arrives at novus, there's not even an indication of orbital debris - so it's hard to know how much of the programme was theoretical, and how much had actually been put into practice before now. these ships may have been their first practical application of an advanced theoretical space programme - one with no time to figure out FTL mechanics.

the ancestors did not in fact know how to build an FTL drive imho - no one on destiny has ever indicated that they can. they're able to repair it - which is a little bit different. for example, i can change a lightbulb, but i don't have the faintest clue how to make one - and engines are much more advanced. it's (relatively) easy to plug in a spare part if you know where it goes, not so easy to put it together from scratch without at least a visual reference.

Awww...you can't build a lightblub? ;)

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Awww...you can't build a lightblub? ;)

nor do i wish to, there's a shop just down the road :p

i know something about a bit of wire stuck between two other bits of wire, with a current going through them, thats about it :p

perhaps a better example is this:

how many people can put together a motherboard for a computer?

how many people can put a motherboard inside a computer?

the latter will have a lot more people who can at least learn to be competent at it - while the former is a little more complicated than plug and play :p

LtColCarter
April 28th, 2011, 08:40 AM
nor do i wish to, there's a shop just down the road :p

i know something about a bit of wire stuck between two other bits of wire, with a current going through them, thats about it :p

the latter will have a lot more people who can at least learn to be competent at it - while the former is a little more complicated than plug and play :p

LOL...since I build my own PCs...I guess I should raise my hand for both of them! :D

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 08:46 AM
LOL...since I build my own PCs...I guess I should raise my hand for both of them! :D

hehe i can build a computer myself :) (been a few years, prebuilt is more convenient on my current budgets) - but i don't have a clue what those shiny lines on the circuit board do, exactly :p

most people can be shown how to screw in the mobo, put the extras onto it, and turn it on - not so many can can make a PCB, or put components onto it to make the mobo itself work - and even if we could, i'd hate to think what it would look like afterwords, probably burn up the first time i put power through it :p

garhkal
April 28th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Yup. Place everyone in stasis, use X amt of fuel to push you in the direction, then coast the rest..

Exactly how would they? We don;t have knowledge of how to build FTL drives and as for hyperdrives, practically all those in the know were on earth!

the latter will have a lot more people who can at least learn to be competent at it - while the former is a little more complicated than plug and play

A better example would be how many can build a car from scratch, engine/transmission as well. Compared to how many can repair one?

beafly
May 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM
How about this for an angle...

If Destiny couldn't plot the probable course and calculate the location of a couple ships with a known start time and clear maximum speed moving from a known location to another (not a straight line by the way), then it would have long since been destroyed by running itself into a black hole or supernova or something.