PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it...

MizuhoChan
April 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM
You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.

Why not just fly to one that DIDN'T have a fault line under it, get the cure, get supplies, etc?

Stupid plot.

Also, I'm sad that he didn't die. I got so excited, thinking that one of my most hated characters was going to die, then they go back for him and he survives a fall like that.

Ridiculous. Just kill him.

KEK
April 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Do we know for sure that there were only two cities?

LeonK
April 25th, 2011, 08:26 PM
what I didn't get about this episode(which I actually liked more than I thought I would) was why didn't they just grab the trajectory the ships were taking, then go chase them down?

If they can ftl to the planet in 10 days(i think is what they said) when it'll take the ships 300 years(or something like that) why not just pop into ftl for a short jaunt and catch one?

Or hell, even the regular engines on destiny have to be really fast compared to whatever ships they're in, right?

I dunno, just seemed odd to me that they couldn't calculate where the ships would be, and then find a way to pilot destiney to them.

KEK
April 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Space is pretty big. They'd have to know their exact route, and exact time they set off and their exact speed to have any chance of finding them.

Greenfire32
April 25th, 2011, 08:36 PM
You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.You're a fool if you really think there are only two cities. Sorry for putting it so bluntly, but seriously? You really think the writers want us to believe there's only two cities? Get real man.

Why not just fly to one that DIDN'T have a fault line under it, get the cure, get supplies, etc?
Yeah because that's so easy. Be honest; are you trolling us?

Stupid plot.
Not really, but those are both opinions.

Also, I'm sad that he didn't die. I got so excited, thinking that one of my most hated characters was going to die, then they go back for him and he survives a fall like that.

Ridiculous. Just kill him.Real people have survived falls much greater than that. Can't handle it? Buck up buddy, it just happened.

LeonK
April 25th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Space is pretty big. They'd have to know their exact route, and exact time they set off and their exact speed to have any chance of finding them.

yeah I get that....but Destiny has these great sensors, and it's computer surely could compute a flight path...I dunno...just felt odd they couldn't figure out where they were.

or at least say something like "even destiny can't calculate where they'll be so we have no way of finding them" .... i dunno, something.

Like I said, I jsut didn't get that part of the episode. felt too odd to me.

MizuhoChan
April 25th, 2011, 08:43 PM
You're a fool if you really think there are only two cities. Sorry for putting it so bluntly, but seriously? You really think the writers want us to believe there's only two cities? Get real man.Yeah because that's so easy. Be honest; are you trolling us?Not really, but those are both opinions.Real people have survived falls much greater than that. Can't handle it? Buck up buddy, it just happened.
...What? I said there couldn't have been only one city. I never implied that there were only two. Of course I think there were more than two.

Why isn't it easy? Not every city would have been close to destruction and you'd think each city would have medical facilities, data about cures, etc. Methinks you may be the real troll.

Yes, I thought it was a stupid plot. My opinion. Please engage in civil discussions.

Perhaps they have, I don't know of anyone who has, but that's not my point. My point is that I don't like him and I would have preferred it had he died.

Greenfire32
April 25th, 2011, 08:44 PM
yeah I get that....but Destiny has these great sensors, and it's computer surely could compute a flight path...I dunno...just felt odd they couldn't figure out where they were.

or at least say something like "even destiny can't calculate where they'll be so we have no way of finding them" .... i dunno, something.

Like I said, I jsut didn't get that part of the episode. felt too odd to me.I remember them saying that the Novus ships don't have FTL or Hyperdrive capabilities. This would suggest, however, that they can travel near the speed of light. This also means the ship would experience some serious time dilation effects and, thusly, may be impossible to find if not track.

Speculation on my part.

General Jumper One
April 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Atlantis has great censors, Daedalus or Apollo have great censors and they knew Atlantis's flight path yet when it dropped out way to early it took them lots of jumps and scanning before they found Atlantis - "Adrift"

sholva1
April 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
what I didn't get about this episode(which I actually liked more than I thought I would) was why didn't they just grab the trajectory the ships were taking, then go chase them down?

If they can ftl to the planet in 10 days(i think is what they said) when it'll take the ships 300 years(or something like that) why not just pop into ftl for a short jaunt and catch one?

there is no way to predict where they might be... you expect em to just jump in to random space?

actuallyliam
April 25th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I'd assume they'd take the most direct route, all you would have to do is travel on normal engines, you'd be faster than them. Have destiny listen for radio transmissions, look for emf and you'd eventually find them.

Destiny seems to be at around the same level of technology as a 304. They have a drive, life support that requires maintenance every so often, they have sub-light engines, a main beam weapon and several smaller less powerful ones. 304s have a squadron of 302s, Destiny has 2 shuttles. They seem to go at similar speeds.

Greenfire32
April 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I'd assume they'd take the most direct route, all you would have to do is travel on normal engines, you'd be faster than them. Have destiny listen for radio transmissions, look for emf and you'd eventually find them.

Destiny seems to be at around the same level of technology as a 304. They have a drive, life support that requires maintenance every so often, they have sub-light engines, a main beam weapon and several smaller less powerful ones. 304s have a squadron of 302s, Destiny has 2 shuttles. They seem to go at similar speeds.Traveling in anything less than FTL would still mean a hundreds year journey. You'd have to know where to drop out of FTL and then make up the distance with sublight engines. Given the scope of space, it's still an improbability.

LeonK
April 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Atlantis has great censors, Daedalus or Apollo have great censors and they knew Atlantis's flight path yet when it dropped out way to early it took them lots of jumps and scanning before they found Atlantis - "Adrift"

I had never seen that episode, though I find it ineresting they didn't at least include one line of dialog like "jumping in and out of ftl to try and find them would blow the drives, we just can't do it, sorry". Would have explained it all for those of us who didn't see the atlantis episode.

there is no way to predict where they might be... you expect em to just jump in to random space?

no way to predict? what? if you can grab a flight path, and estimate a speed, you know about where they'll be, then it isn't random space, it's a calculated estimate. then they scan around, and move to another estimated place. Though as I just stated in my reply to someone else, i've not seen the atlantis episode where apparently it took many many jumps in and out of hyperspace to find atlantis.

obviously jumping in and out of ftl isn't an option for destiny.

Ouroboros
April 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I think the generational ships would be findable to. It would take a while for sure, but if they know what planet they were going to they should be able to find them before TJ actually up and dies in 5+ years.

If they'd had more detailed information on the ship in the factory and could establish performance expectations from that it would be a lot easier though.

The real thing that might bugger them though would be matching velocities with it. If it was really moving at something like .9999c sublight after accelerating for years or decades it might be functionally impossible for destiny to actually dock with it. They could go slower or faster but never be able to match velocities with it short of committing to some sort of years long plan of sublight acceleration themselves.

Even in that scenario though some kind of brief communication might be possible, but extreme time dilation might mess with that pretty badly to.

What I couldn't figure out myself was why everyone was acting like somebody had to sit beside the computer while it uploaded files to destiny.

Once you tell it to upload it's basically just a waiting game until the file finishes transferring so you can just leave and it'll last as long as it lasts before the ceiling falls in on it. There's no reason for a person to be standing there on the planet just to watch a status bar fill up.

wingsabre
April 25th, 2011, 11:27 PM
We don't even know if the black hole is along the path to the planet. For all we know, they went around it or something, and it's very possible that in 30 years, they were able to figure out some FTL modifications to speed up the ships.

morbosfist
April 25th, 2011, 11:37 PM
We don't even know if the black hole is along the path to the planet. For all we know, they went around it or something, and it's very possible that in 30 years, they were able to figure out some FTL modifications to speed up the ships.It'd be nigh impossible to so utterly modify a ship in-flight, not to mention the fact that such ships had better be designed to cryo-freeze the passengers or they'd have to be a lot larger. Unless there were enough for millions of people, space would be an issue.

What I couldn't figure out myself was why everyone was acting like somebody had to sit beside the computer while it uploaded files to destiny.

Once you tell it to upload it's basically just a waiting game until the file finishes transferring so you can just leave and it'll last as long as it lasts before the ceiling falls in on it. There's no reason for a person to be standing there on the planet just to watch a status bar fill up.When power is being interrupted and earthquakes keep hitting, someone needs to be there to make sure the uplink isn't disengaged.

Ouroboros
April 25th, 2011, 11:50 PM
When power is being interrupted and earthquakes keep hitting, someone needs to be there to make sure the uplink isn't disengaged.

Oh sure some catastrophe could befall it, but it's not like that's guaranteed to happen if you leave. That's what they were acting like. "If someone doesn't stay here and keep watching this status bar the upload won't work".

It could just as easily run on its own for years without incident. Kinda like it had been doing right up until that day they got there and everything suddenly decided to get horribly worse all of a sudden.

What rotten luck that was huh.:rolleyes:

Konrad9
April 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM
You'd think they'd have built more than one city. After all, there were two countries, they couldn't both have lived in the one city.

Stupid plot.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part in the episode where they said "every person in this entire country lived in just this one city, no one lived outside of it and there were no other villages, towns, or cities".

Except that never happened, and you have zero reason to imply that there was just one city.

What is more likely is that this was the biggest city in the country, and that it had the biggest shelter and as such had the most complete archive.

Lantean General
April 26th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Indeed /\ Konrad, and I'd like to add that we didn't go to some city at random, we had an actual expedition member to guide us-The Novan Equivalent of an SG team leader. I find the idea that their was one city slightly egronous, it's much more likely that the city that we visited was the capital of Tenaran civilisation/The oldest settlement on the planet.

DB10
April 26th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Varro is actually one of my favourite characters on SGU, before he fell I thought he would be killed off. Since we saw on the Kino vids Young and TJ got together and Varro saw it too and they killed the TJ/Varro plot with it. I was certain he was dead when he fell down, but luckily he didn't. Hopefully he will survive his injuries :)

thekillman
April 26th, 2011, 03:13 AM
actually the Colony ships are easy to find.

first of all they travel by sublight. i bet they can find specs on it, so they have accelleration. they have a trajectory. they have a time period. how hard can it be? they couldn't find atlantis because they didn't know where it dropped out at what time. every second it travels, dozens of lightyears go past. not the case with the colony ships.

if anything, they can track the plasma/ion trail of the ships.

darkthunder84
April 26th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Why can't Destiny jump out of Hyperspace early to find the Novus ship(s) ?

Simple: Dropping out early, could damage the FTL drive. Mentioned repeatedly throughout SGU.

blueray
April 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM
what i don't get is why can't destiny scan for near by ships, they wouldn't be that far away from the planet, and i imagine if they could figure out where they are heading there is only so many paths you could take.

The Destiny
April 26th, 2011, 07:13 AM
They know "roughly" when the generational ships left and "roughly" when they will arrive. Space is big, really big, so you will need to calculate several dozen digits behind the comma in order to be accurate enough to drop out near them. half a % off, that's a couple hundred billion miles right there. So far destiny hasn't even been able to make readings of planets its been in orbit off, I doubt it's sensors have that far a range. I seriously doubt it would be able to scan several lightyears of space. Atlantis could do that because it tapped into subspace, but it appears the ancients were not using subspace for flight yet when they built destiny.

Remember: Space = vast. You will be needing the time they left and the speeds the ships are capable of very precisely in order to have any hope of finding them. You can't drop out "somewhere over there", fly with sublight in either direction and find them. You'd need a couple dozen years to cover any kind of distance in space. Sublight is horrificly slow in the SG series.

However I imagine they'll say something about it next episode. They can't just go on and keep about 200-300 people extra on the ship. I am positive that it will be resolved.

Mr. Jack
April 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I think there was a quote within the episode along the lines of:

"The whole planet is falling apart."

The crew had already suffered one injury and I don't think they wanted to risk flying around to find anything else.

And really, I don't give a **** about minor logical inconsistencies that don't really break the episode's entertainment value at all. The episode was a great part of the series and a good tribute to humanity in general, the line "I'm glad they got their act together," really had me going. So you trolls can go ahead and nitpick it to death; I hope you have fun with that.

Nth Chevron
April 26th, 2011, 07:56 AM
^

Nuff said.

N.C

Kaiphantom
April 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
With a guide, we pretty much flew to the equivalent of the vault that containted both the Library of Congress and the entire Smithsonian museum. That's not something that is located in every city.

yet
April 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM
They could have gone to any Hospital or collage in any city to cure her the cure could be some thing they wouldn't be able to reproduce on destany, I also presume a lot of the population or a very big advance party evacuated before the gate was buried so the cure could be their.

SG-17
April 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I actually think that there might have been only one or two metropolises on Novus. I mean there were only several million people living on Novus and hell there are over 8 million people who live on Manhattan Island alone.

There were probably small towns and rural communities, but I seriously doubt that there were more than 2 cities. The population just doesn't merit it.

Galileo_Galilee
April 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Until I see proof otherwise there was only the two cities.

Shadow_7
April 26th, 2011, 04:27 PM
It depends on how you define city. Is San Diego to San Francisco ONE city? A couple million isn't enough for more than two cities (of that size) IMO. Not that there weren't more than two, but why build something that you don't need? They tend to be a bit more forward thinking that our typical governments. But I doubt that they're that ambitious.

It was a nice episode. Opportunities that wouldn't have otherwise existed. And a few missed ones on the journey. But all in all, they're better off than they were a few weeks ago. No more air issues now for a hundred or so years at least. Even with more people.

As far as finding the ships? To what end? If they're all in stasis. Or if there's no way to dock with them. Or they're more advanced weapons wise and don't bother hailing them first and just open up on them. Too many unknowns, far safer to head to the destination first. They can always back track and find them if it's worth the effort. One persons potential future illness isn't enough reason IMO. Too many unknowns and they'll probably need to lure the drones out of that system to save their parallel universe offspring. Or else they all die...

garhkal
April 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Plus who's to say they stayed on the same course.. And wouldn't the gravitational effects of the blackhole have changed things?

Traveling in anything less than FTL would still mean a hundreds year journey. You'd have to know where to drop out of FTL and then make up the distance with sublight engines. Given the scope of space, it's still an improbability.

And since we are limited to a min of 4 hrs in FTL before we can jump out, one of our stints may shoot us way past.

When power is being interrupted and earthquakes keep hitting, someone needs to be there to make sure the uplink isn't disengaged.

Yup/

first of all they travel by sublight. i bet they can find specs on it, so they have accelleration. they have a trajectory. they have a time period. how hard can it be? they couldn't find atlantis because they didn't know where it dropped out at what time. every second it travels, dozens of lightyears go past. not the case with the colony ships.

How do they have specs/trajectory?
Heck who;s to say what of the download we got was not hte first 100 years or so. NOT the most up to date stuff.

Nth Chevron
April 27th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Plus who's to say they stayed on the same course.. And wouldn't the gravitational effects of the blackhole have changed things?

Lets see, 3 ships heading towards the same planet is 300% the chances it will work if one suffers attack or malfunction.

3 ships heading 3 different gateworld (lol) colonies, factor in more travel time, more danger.

Best option was for all 3 to head to nearest gate then sort it out from there.

N.C

Ser Scot A Ellison
April 27th, 2011, 05:10 AM
MizuhoChan,

Stupid plot.

There's no guarantee that there are archives as extensive as the ones in the capital city of Teneria. They knew they had them when they dicovered them. They had the supplies and other things there. They needed the shuttles to ferry supplies back and forth to Destiny. Exploration excursions weren't in the cards once they knew they were on a clock.

Duneknight
April 27th, 2011, 05:59 AM
2 decent sized cities, towns and factories around it. no need to have many cities around the globe, civlization can do fine with just one city, actually better, cities are a sign of overpopulation and decadence. It looked to me they had a near utopia just like Atlantis.

Galileo_Galilee
April 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Cities are a sign of decadence?

Really?

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

Shylodog
April 27th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Epic Win wouldn't mind. (Guy who kisses minature giraffes)

Eterno
April 27th, 2011, 03:47 PM
On Common Descent Wray tells Young that there were 2 predominant countries in Novus. I doubt there were only 2 cities or there would be no need to create countries.

Python
April 27th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Really, really dumb.

We're to assume they couldn't just download the medical database, and uncheck all the stupid YouTube videos.

garhkal
April 27th, 2011, 04:28 PM
By the time they were thinking of said database, the database was already Compressed for transmission. so it stands to reason they couldn't look through it.

Duneknight
April 27th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Really, really dumb.

We're to assume they couldn't just download the medical database, and uncheck all the stupid YouTube videos.

haha thats actually funny.

morbosfist
April 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM
By the time they were thinking of said database, the database was already Compressed for transmission. so it stands to reason they couldn't look through it.Eli says that outright.

Eestlanna
April 28th, 2011, 11:10 AM
City doesn't necesserely mean several million people. I'm living in the biggest city of my country and here lives only around 400 000 people. (And there are only 1.5 million people living in our country). And yet here are many universities, archives, hospitals etc. So, maybe there were a lot of cities of that kind.

Wayston
April 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM

Stupid plot.

Because packing up and moving and finding and entering another shelter and restarting the download there would waste precious time. They had a decent investment going, do you expect them to abandon it on the off chance that they might find an even better investment? I got the impression that the planet was going up in flames ever more rapidly, and that locations not on the faultline wouldn't be all that far behind becoming equally lethal.

Nth Chevron
April 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM
As i said somewhere else, what if the ship could be accelerated by only using 1 or 2 of the FTL modules, not all 15?

Would that enable the ship to travel slowly enough for 4 hours in FTL to cover the route?

N.C

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 03:21 PM
As i said somewhere else, what if the ship could be accelerated by only using 1 or 2 of the FTL modules, not all 15?

Would that enable the ship to travel slowly enough for 4 hours in FTL to cover the route?

N.C

the problem remains that they're still Faster Than Light.

finding the novus ships may or may not be a problem (energy signatures or lack thereof, precision of destiny's scanners, whether the route is straight, the colour of the ships...) but - the novus ships ARE travelling sublight. chances are they're moving fast enough to have the doppler effect.

using the atlantis episode where they tested the midway setup and encountered ancients as an example, it's safe to say destiny probably can't make them stop. the lanteans had modified their ship to move as fast as possible, but the daedalus only barely got up to a speed where the lanteans noticed them. destiny, on the other hand, appears to be older - and its structural damages at the moment mean that in sublight, the stresses of going that fast - if it's even possible - could tear it apart.

Nth Chevron
April 28th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Operating on fewer drives MAY lessen their top speed.

N.C

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 03:29 PM
but FTL is still FTL :p

fewer drives won't help, since they'd still be in actual FTL on even one drive.

Nth Chevron
April 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
With all 15 the FTL speed is well in excess, with 1 or 2, would they even reach FTL speeds?

N.C

Keeper
April 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
well, if the module is for FTL, then yeah i'd expect they would hit FTL.

they might be crawling along at 1% above the speed of light, though.

if it's just an engine module, and not a dedicated FTL module, then MAYBE - tbh, i don't remember where the 15 drive modules thing has come from anyway. however, it would be the first ship using FTL and sublight engines in the one build - more likely it's 15 modules for redundancy, and quite possibly across the whole ship to make it all move - it's pretty big, and i can imagine needing 3-5 as a minimum just to get it started.

garhkal
April 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Do we know if our sub-ftl drives are faster than the Novans are? Could we just push to max speed and head in that same direction?

morbosfist
April 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Even assuming we could outpace them, they have a few decades' head start.

Shadow_7
April 28th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Well they could always park it in orbit and use the stasis chambers to wait on them. (in theory). Not that I'd know why they would given that they don't have the power to get them home, aka the primary mission since day one. (that we know of).

besides it looks like they already made it and set up camp in the next episode. According to the ads anyway. Not that they're still around for a decent conversation.

Keeper
April 29th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Do we know if our sub-ftl drives are faster than the Novans are? Could we just push to max speed and head in that same direction?
Even assuming we could outpace them, they have a few decades' head start.theoretically, if we found them somehow, we could FTL to their location and sublight to their speeds, IF our sublights are fast enough. but destiny's a pretty big ship to move like that, and even atlantis-era ships (the return) need to be modified to go near the speed of light with sublight engines. while i don't know if the novus ships are capable of that, it's safe to say that if they aren't then they're probably in stasis. making catching up with them pointless, since they're not around to hear us.

Well they could always park it in orbit and use the stasis chambers to wait on them. (in theory). Not that I'd know why they would given that they don't have the power to get them home, aka the primary mission since day one. (that we know of).

besides it looks like they already made it and set up camp in the next episode. According to the ads anyway. Not that they're still around for a decent conversation.

a couple of hundred years in stasis, out of contact with earth. by that time, i'm pretty sure young's pay would have been stopped :p

and everyone they know would be dead. at least as things are they have communication, no matter how limited, and they have hope - but in 200 years, earth will probably have forgotten the destiny.

Shadow_7
April 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
They seemed to have replicated the kinos, why didn't they bother with the gates??? It's only taken us 100 years from flight to have space stations and start to explore other planets robotically. Seems to me that something stunted their growth. We've basically gone from roughing it across the prairie to space tech in less than 200 years. In 100 more years, who knows what tech we'll have.

morbosfist
April 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
The Goa'uld can't replicate gates and they had far longer to do it. The gates are immensely complex pieces of technology. The Novans hadn't even mastered FTL travel.

General Jumper One
April 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
They seemed to have replicated the kinos, why didn't they bother with the gates??? It's only taken us 100 years from flight to have space stations and start to explore other planets robotically. Seems to me that something stunted their growth. We've basically gone from roughing it across the prairie to space tech in less than 200 years. In 100 more years, who knows what tech we'll have.

We had a ton of help from the Asgard and other races and backward engineering ;), they were out there alone and started from basically scratch, all they had was what Eli and the others wrote down.

The Destiny
April 29th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Taking a few hundred years to get from our current Earth tech ( real world, not SGverse) to tech faster than the speed of light is an incredibly positive assumption. To be honest I wouldn't be suprised if it took us a 1000 years or more to figure that out. The jump from sublight to speed of light is a difficult one, which might even be impossible without something such as subspace.

Shadow_7
April 30th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Well we don't know if those ships are capable of speed of light or even near light speed. All we know is that they don't have FTL or Hyperspace. And I wouldn't imagine that the nearest gate world is that far away. Which afaik was their destination. Or maybe a gate or two past them to out run the black hole.

In theory it tooks us less than 200 years to land on the moon. From lugging shovels across a prairie. And probably a bible as the only text. Granted that we've had a few more established cultures to steal from. And a large migrant / slave labor force. But still 2,000 years is more than enough time to be a space faring culture. Especially if you know from day one that the planet isn't flat. And that space travel is/was already possible millions of years ago.

The Destiny
April 30th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Going to the moon is quite different from going to a different planet, several lightyears away. In my mind they basically used the same technology ( sublight like a rocket; big engines ), just a bit more advanced than we have now, but still nowhere near the speed of light; thus it'd take hundreds of years. Our 304's can't even accelerate anywhere near the speed of light. We can only do that by jumping into hyperspace. And even then we are using our sublights to go through this hyperspace corridor we made.

webxro
April 30th, 2011, 05:42 AM
They need more cities , one city doesn't have enough resources around it to support a entire civilization .

Also if i remember correctly they said that the planet where they evacuated the Novas was 300 hundred years away by their ships , we could calculate the speed and find out when they left and drop out of FTL there .

If they left 29 years ago then they would be at approximately 22 hours away by FTL travel .

We could approximate the speed of destinies FTL if we gave a speed to those sub-light ships (but that would be a wild guess )

General Jumper One
April 30th, 2011, 06:13 AM
They need more cities , one city doesn't have enough resources around it to support a entire civilization .

Also if i remember correctly they said that the planet where they evacuated the Novas was 300 hundred years away by their ships , we could calculate the speed and find out when they left and drop out of FTL there .

If they left 29 years ago then they would be at approximately 22 hours away by FTL travel .

We could approximate the speed of destinies FTL if we gave a speed to those sub-light ships (but that would be a wild guess )

We know that there are at least two cities, there could be a lot more

webxro
April 30th, 2011, 06:48 AM
There are more then 2 cities ( the definition of settlement is a lot appropriate but it's just semantics ) just think about the developent of industries .

Let's say for example that they reached a point in their development where they need a certain resource , let's call it novatinia , and let's assume that this resource can't be found anywhere near their city .What will they do , well they logical choice is to establish a permanent settlement that obtains that resource and trades it with the price city .
This way the original city gets novatinia and the settlement get's food and supplies .

The Destiny
April 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
cities don't produce resources, they consume them.

webxro
April 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Any human settlement produces , it's just what type of stage their development is .That city has workers that work to produce something .

Also

cities don't produce resources, they consume them.

And where are the resources being produced ? In magifarms ?

morrismike
April 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Any human settlement produces , it's just what type of stage their development is .That city has workers that work to produce something .

Also

And where are the resources being produced ? In magifarms ?

and mines

Cities consume resources and those outside the cities are the one extracting raw material for use in factories that MAY be located in cities. Cities house consumers not producers. Nothing wrong with consumption mind you, but if LA slipped into the ocean, America would hardly notice the differece (we'd notice NYC but we'd soon get over that).

webxro
April 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
The idea was that the city was made there because it's closer to a resource and they need the people to work to get the resource , if you read my post you see that i am not referring to cities i say settlements .

Shadow_7
April 30th, 2011, 07:44 PM
But we sent voyager out (and others) in the 1970's. My nation formed in 1776 (according to propaganda). Those have traversed SEVERAL planets already. And even exited the solar system. Less than fifty years later. And i don't imagine much in terms of engines on that one. Just a softball from earth launched into space with a rocket as it's pitcher. Sure, voyager isn't going to land on a planet or return to earth unscathed. But we had rovers on Mars over a decade ago now. Men on the moon over 40 years ago. Granted that we're still flying B52's from 50+ years ago... But still. You'd think that after 2,000 years they'd at least have a zeppelin or something. An airport? They seemed to have roads. Not that we got to see a whole lot of the place (yet).

Ukko
May 1st, 2011, 04:23 AM
But we sent voyager out (and others) in the 1970's. My nation formed in 1776 (according to propaganda). Those have traversed SEVERAL planets already. And even exited the solar system. Less than fifty years later. And i don't imagine much in terms of engines on that one. Just a softball from earth launched into space with a rocket as it's pitcher. Sure, voyager isn't going to land on a planet or return to earth unscathed. But we had rovers on Mars over a decade ago now. Men on the moon over 40 years ago. Granted that we're still flying B52's from 50+ years ago... But still. You'd think that after 2,000 years they'd at least have a zeppelin or something. An airport? They seemed to have roads. Not that we got to see a whole lot of the place (yet).

They wouldnt really need those things with just one city, or multiple cities close to each other.

Shadow_7
May 1st, 2011, 04:09 PM
But they would likely have them out of boredom, wouldn't they. If they've cured all sorts of diseases and such. Surely someone wanted to emulate a bird. Or understand how the gate works. Or at least have a really nice bike to ride on said roads. The alternate reality crew might have opted for a hot air balloon just to scout the place out to find a good ground breaking spot for the city(s). As opposed to going purely on Brody's input. It's a flood plain for crying out loud.

The Destiny
May 2nd, 2011, 12:23 AM
Cities consume resources and products. Factories and such in cities consume resources to create products, which are consumed by the city, but a city itself mostly consumes. Resources usually come from the countryside; agriculture, mines, lumber, quarries etc. In medieval europe even people were 'produced' on the countryside ( cities and towns were dependant on migration in order to grow, people died faster than they were being born in there. However I do not expect such circumstances on Novus where they at least knew the value of hygiene. ) settlements may often be founded near an abundant source of resources in order to house the workers, like in those 'ye old mining towns'.

But they would likely have them out of boredom, wouldn't they. If they've cured all sorts of diseases and such. Surely someone wanted to emulate a bird. Or understand how the gate works. Or at least have a really nice bike to ride on said roads. The alternate reality crew might have opted for a hot air balloon just to scout the place out to find a good ground breaking spot for the city(s). As opposed to going purely on Brody's input. It's a flood plain for crying out loud.

In the last scene we saw a space ship take off from the city. They built huge ships to carry millions off Novus and the one in the final scene doesn't seem to fit the bill. Too small for even thousands. It appears to be "just some ship". To me this indicates they did 'emulate a bird'. They seemed to have reached a very advanced stage of ( sublight ) flight.

garhkal
May 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Still way ahead of current earth though. We barely can reach another planet in our own star system. Let alone in another star system.

Shadow_7
May 4th, 2011, 07:18 AM
We can reach them, with current tech and 300+ years. We just don't have the stasis ability or self contained biodome tech to do it with people still living upon arrival. And we are basically talking about taking todays tech and starting from there. Plus 2000 years. And they don't have the over population / polution woes that we have to deal with on current day earth. A common language, a common history, and other issues that never existed in their world. Not that they didn't have any issues. But holocaust probably isn't a term used in any of the books that Eli wrote. And many other non-positives that basically make up our daily news.

slimjim
December 10th, 2011, 03:03 AM

Stupid plot.

ALS is a genetic disease, perhaps their cure involves altering a person's DNA so if they have kids after they receive the cure they will not pass the genes on to them, so once every at risk person was given the cure ALS was effectively wiped out meaning that you wouldn't find the cure in any hospitals because they haven't needed it for 200 years. The only place to find where to make it would be the archive because it's very obscure knowledge by now and Really I can't image most other computers on the planet would still be working after 30 years of neglect and even if they where it would be pretty hard to find one with the right knowledge, I mean do you have the works of Plato or how to make Insulin saved any where on your hard rive?

Edi
December 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Proof that the Destiny can find the ships:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QioXOJh4WJQ - 2:46 - they detected a bunch derbies that are a days trip away in FTL. Surely they can detect massive, operational ships that are WAY closer than 10 hours FTW.

slimjim
December 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Proof that the Destiny can find the ships:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QioXOJh4WJQ - 2:46 - they detected a bunch derbies that are a days trip away in FTL. Surely they can detect massive, operational ships that are WAY closer than 10 hours FTW.
apparently that derbies was giving of radiation

hedwig
December 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Really I can't image most other computers on the planet would still be working after 30 years of neglect

But this is stargate. Computer stuff works just fine after hundreds or thousands of years of disuse. Works every time an SG member pushes a button on some ancient stuff that's been unused for that many years. :p:D