PDA

View Full Version : Future stories regarding the history of Novus.

SG-17
April 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Do you think that we will ever see any novels, comics, etc that involve the history of Novus between what we have seen in this episode and the evacuation? I certainly would love to see it.

General Jumper One
April 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I would love to see it

Vanek26
April 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Novus is the most intriguing and open (not canon restricted) thing in Stargate in years.

They can do just about anything with them. Its pretty awesome.

I'd love to see more.

Pharaoh Atem
April 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Do you think that we will ever see any novels, comics, etc that involve the history of Novus between what we have seen in this episode and the evacuation? I certainly would love to see it.
just fanfic

Greenfire32
April 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
If another Stargate series gets up and running (whether it's a reboot or not) I would love to see it take place on Novus. We have 2000 years of story to tell, and even after that there's the journey to the New "New World."

Bottom line: If Stargate gets another chance, Novus deserves to tell it.

Inquisitor
April 25th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I'd watch Stargate: Novus. It makes sense too, after all, it is new :P

But they wouldn't have any enemies, other than futurua?

Greenfire32
April 25th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'd watch Stargate: Novus. It makes sense too, after all, it is new :P

But they wouldn't have any enemies, other than futurua?

Public knowledge of the gate. Political tensions. Maybe they encountered the drones or the race who made them.

Stargate: Novus

I like it.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I Think that this would be a cool concept to see. although for characters, it would be hard to decide where in the 2,000 years it would be set.

Greenfire32
April 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I Think that this would be a cool concept to see. although for characters, it would be hard to decide where in the 2,000 years it would be set.

I think starting from the beginning is a great place. We've never seen a Stargate show that displayed an actively advancing civilization before.

Basically, in my head, I see Stargate: Novus as a sort of SG-1. SGA's off shoot would still take place on Novus, but at a different time period, say modern day. SGU's equivalent would, of course, be the futuristic Novus and the eventual evac of the planet via ship.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 25th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I think starting from the beginning is a great place. We've never seen a Stargate show that displayed an actively advancing civilization before.

Basically, in my head, I see Stargate: Novus as a sort of SG-1. SGA's off shoot would still take place on Novus, but at a different time period, say modern day. SGU's equivalent would, of course, be the futuristic Novus and the eventual evac of the planet via ship.

sounds like an interesting theory you got there but aren't those gates connected to only a handful in the area of the galaxy?

actuallyliam
April 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
sounds like an interesting theory you got there but aren't those gates connected to only a handful in the area of the galaxy?

No, actually it's just that you can't jump far. There are only up to 10 gates in range of any planet. Getting further out would involve going to the edge of those 10 planets and looking for more. Remember in the season 1 episode "Lost" Chloe, Scott and Eli were stranded on a planet. They kept going through gates to find the right way. They got all the way back to the planet where Rush was left. Realized they had gone the wrong way and started walking back the other way.

As long as there are planets in range of another planet, you can keep moving. You just can't jump from one side of the galaxy to the other.

The signal would be the strength of a few solar systems, I'd imagine cause only certain planets support human life. Unless planets that far out are far more like Earth.

Greenfire32
April 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM

If you take a piece of paper and make random dots, then place a quarter on the paper, the quarter only covers so many dots. However, using the dots as Stargates, if you move the quarter to a new dot, suddenly the quarter covers more dots.

The Gates in SG-1 and SGA fuctioned like a cloud. You can go to and from any Gate. In SGU it's more like a connect the dots game. You can only get to dot 15 if you go through dots 2-14.
No, actually it's just that you can't jump far. There are only up to 10 gates in range of any planet. Getting further out would involve going to the edge of those 10 planets and looking for more. Remember in the season 1 episode "Lost" Chloe, Scott and Eli were stranded on a planet. They kept going through gates to find the right way. They got all the way back to the planet where Rush was left. Realized they had gone the wrong way and started walking back the other way.

As long as there are planets in range of another planet, you can keep moving. You just can't jump from one side of the galaxy to the other.

The signal would be the strength of a few solar systems, I'd imagine cause only certain planets support human life. Unless planets that far out are far more like Earth.

Exactly.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 25th, 2011, 10:21 PM
you guys are thinking quite logically while im just looking at the glass that is half full. im not thinking these things out.

Greenfire32
April 25th, 2011, 10:24 PM
you guys are thinking quite logically while im just looking at the glass that is half full. im not thinking these things out.
It's ok. When you've been watching Stargate since 1994, it sort of turns into a religion for you lol

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 25th, 2011, 10:38 PM
It's ok. When you've been watching Stargate since 1994, it sort of turns into a religion for you lol

started watching in 1999 and it was a part of my childhood and now to see it end... well that's life.

actuallyliam
April 25th, 2011, 10:46 PM
started watching in 1999 and it was a part of my childhood and now to see it end... well that's life.

Yeah, I started watching in 1998, I live in Australia. So that was around when we got it. Back when it would air at 9:30 rather than 11:30 or 12:30. First episode of SG i ever saw was Tin Man. Have loved it ever since. P.S. If you count stargate as a religion it's my only religion.

Inquisitor
April 25th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I think the first episode I saw, or at least I remember seeing, is There But For The Grace of God (season 1 sg1, alternate reality episode).

The funny thing is, I remembered it very differently. I actually remembered it as being some kind of plot against Jackson, which was fairly weird. I think this is because I only remembered an image of Catherine (it is with a C, isn't it?) welcoming Jackson and Jackson on the computer looking up his details.
Another episode which I had seen before (before I was a fan) was Point of View (the other alternate reality episode) in which in my memory the two people were invaders that could use mirrors to get around and they were attacking the SGC. That was many years ago, but I still find it quite funny that I distorted the story lines in my memory so much.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 25th, 2011, 11:32 PM
i didn't get to see the first two seasons until they first came out on dvd. first episode i saw was into the fire where sg-1 whacked hathor.

padr49904
April 26th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Pretty young compared to others in this thread but I was 3 with the first episode aired. Later on I think it was on repeat and it was actually the first episode I ever saw, but I don't really remember a lot of it.
And I really like the idea of them having a series of the Destiny crew first arriving on the planet and what happens to them, it would be cooler if things were different from what happened in the footage they had on the show, it kind of ruins what is going to happen. I wouldn't really like to see them getting ready to evacuate because what I really like seeing is people from Earth not the descendants from the people from Earth because they would never truly have an ending, being on a ship for over 100 years would get kind of boring.

escyos
April 26th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I'd like to see more from when they were first building and discovering things on their new world. Other than that and maybe the split and the final days the rest would just be a mix of many other shows.

Giantevilhead
April 26th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I would like to see their major religions. I'm guessing there's going to be Trekology and its subsects, Path of the Sisko, Holy Trinity of the McCoy, the Spock, and the Kirk, the Great Dome of Picard, as well as the Ways of the Force, Flight of the Serenity, the Brotherhood of Nod, Quantum Presbyterianism, and of course, Divine Church of the Holy Oprah.

spinny magee
April 26th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Something like Taken perhaps? Focusing on one generation to the next?

So many possibilites, i would love the concept.

thekillman
April 26th, 2011, 04:02 AM
i'd watch SGN (Stargate Novus).

i'd pick the actual journey.

SGN: 1x01.

a brilliant scientists aboard one of the colony ships re-invents FTL, jumpstarting a new age of discovery.

essentially, the ships get the FTL upgrade, allowing a planet jumping theme untill they reach their new homeworld. S01 ends with them actually reaching it, and s02 deals with the recreation and discovery of their neightbourhood.

then we can have stories with the Drones.

Rail'k
April 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
i just created a Novus fan fic collab thread in order to continue the story here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?80944-Novus-Fan-Fic-Colab-thread&p=12557134#post12557134)

feel free to join it on the collaboration

jsunski
April 26th, 2011, 06:19 AM

a brilliant scientists aboard one of the colony ships re-invents FTL, jumpstarting a new age of discovery.

essentially, the ships get the FTL upgrade, allowing a planet jumping theme untill they reach their new homeworld. S01 ends with them actually reaching it, and s02 deals with the recreation and discovery of their neightbourhood.

then at the end of the series ... Destiny arrives and saves the day... the end.

edit: mind you the timelines do not exactly match up... :\

LtColCarter
April 26th, 2011, 06:20 AM

As would I :)

g.o.d
April 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
damn, I would love to see a spin-off about Novus

SG-17
April 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I wonder if the Novans ever encountered the Ursini before they were wiped out by the drones? Hell maybe they met the civilization that invented the drones.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 26th, 2011, 10:33 AM
im assuming because of those novian ships that took off at the end that novus had some sort of military?

garhkal
April 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM
If another Stargate series gets up and running (whether it's a reboot or not) I would love to see it take place on Novus. We have 2000 years of story to tell, and even after that there's the journey to the New "New World."

Bottom line: If Stargate gets another chance, Novus deserves to tell it.

That could be intriguing. And we know they used the gate to get around... BUT imo since we don't know of much life (other than animal) in the area, not many stories could be told..

Maybe they encountered the drones or the race who made them.

If they did, don't you think that outpost we encountered would have known about them???

True. BUT as we have seen before (lost), each gate has roughly 2 others in range.. so they could just gate hop.

I would like to see their major religions. I'm guessing there's going to be Trekology and its subsects, Path of the Sisko, Holy Trinity of the McCoy, the Spock, and the Kirk, the Great Dome of Picard, as well as the Ways of the Force, Flight of the Serenity, the Brotherhood of Nod, Quantum Presbyterianism, and of course, Divine Church of the Holy Oprah.

Why? If anything i would have said there would be only a few religions if that.

im assuming because of those novian ships that took off at the end that novus had some sort of military?

For what?? What enemies did it seem they had?

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 26th, 2011, 06:21 PM
That could be intriguing. And we know they used the gate to get around... BUT imo since we don't know of much life (other than animal) in the area, not many stories could be told..

For what?? What enemies did it seem they had?

weren't they at war with the futurans and apparently they also had nuclear weapons.

LtColCarter
April 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM
weren't they at war with the futurans and apparently they also had nuclear weapons.

Well, they worked together to get off the planet

Greenfire32
April 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM
BUT imo since we don't know of much life (other than animal) in the area, not many stories could be told..

Which is why there are so many stories. It's a clean slate, if you will.

Fjord
April 27th, 2011, 03:11 PM

I love this idea....reminds me a little of BSG except without the religious element.

garhkal
April 27th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Well, they worked together to get off the planet

And for all we know, it could have been a "cold war" like here on earth between the USSR and the USA

Trinary
April 27th, 2011, 05:55 PM
It a good platform to introduce a Stargate Novus. A series that related to everyday reality if one live in a colony or far away from a civilization. Each episode introduce a new DIY gadgetry for the laymen to build such as a simple CO2 scrubber, a cell charger from a simple circuit and antenna or any other weird stuff that useful from recycle parts.

I think there are a lots of source for such a stuff on the Net such as Make, Hack a day and many other sites that could be adapted into the story and introduce to the audiences.