Diana Wynne Jones. 1934-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diana Wynne Jones. 1934-2011

Sadly, Diana lost her fight with cancer yesterday.

Her books graced many a fantasy fan's shelf and of course, 'Howl's Moving Castle' was animated by the grand master, Miyazaki. Upon seeing it for the first time, Diana said that she felt Miyazaki had done a good job but she didn't remember writing so many dirigible in the story (Miyazaki is, of course, famous for his love of airships). My favourites are

A lot of her work was marketed as young adult, but it appealed to all, adults and children alike. As my 12 year old friend Marianne said, just the other day, "The problem with re-reading Diana Wynne Jones is that you realise how rubbish most other books are."
    My personal favourites were 'The Tough Guide to Fantasyland', 'A Sudden Wild Magic' and, of course, 'Deep Secret' which has great sentimental value to British SF fandom. And several familiar faces.

She was a brilliant writer and a witty, charming, lovely person. I'm deeply saddened by losing her and her talent and my thoughts are with her husband and family.

FF :nox
    sigpic

Well, I can't say I've heard of her before. But I am sad when anyone dies. RIP.

Comment

Sad! I loved her books.
      sigpic
      Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

I don't think I would've been be anyone near as much a Sci-Fi fan without her, those books were basically my childhood. She will be missed

Comment

Working...
        X