Cowboy Bebop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cowboy Bebop

I just started this show and I must say, I am quite impressed. I was one of those people that thought anime was just ninjas and school girls but after I watched Ghost in the Shell: SAC, I changed my mind. Now that I've started Bebop, I think I have a contender for favorite sci-fi show. I even think in some ways it's (gasp!) better than firefly...

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Lol. First off, this should probably be in the General Sci-Fi section if it doesn't have a thread already. And yes, Cowboy Bebop is awesome. Beyond awesome. I love it to pieces, from the awesome music to the awesome characters and plots... Just awesome. And yes again, I kinda likened it to having an anime Firefly variant, which does illustrate the awesome yet again.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
      Lol. First off, this should probably be in the General Sci-Fi section if it doesn't have a thread already. And yes, Cowboy Bebop is awesome. Beyond awesome. I love it to pieces, from the awesome music to the awesome characters and plots... Just awesome. And yes again, I kinda likened it to having an anime Firefly variant, which does illustrate the awesome yet again.
      haha. yea all the way. hmm, and yea it should be in the general sci-fi...lol showing off my newbness...

Comment

3, 2, 1, Lets Jam. Cowboy Bebop is one of those shows that almost every anime fan has seen, at least in the West.

It's one of the few anime series that I have enjoyed because it more than just the typical crap we get these days, of manga being turned to anime and involving some teenager becoming more and more powerful, given hundreds of episodes of filler just to make it last longer and doesn't seem to have an end in sight. Instead, Bebop comes off as a series that is animated simply because it would have been too expensive to film it live.

It also got me interested in the music of Yoko Kanno, easily one of the best music composers (she did this, and Ghost in the Shell SAC plus a load of other stuff).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Robot Nightmare View Post
          I just started this show and I must say, I am quite impressed. I was one of those people that thought anime was just ninjas and school girls but after I watched Ghost in the Shell: SAC, I changed my mind. Now that I've started Bebop, I think I have a contender for favorite sci-fi show. I even think in some ways it's (gasp!) better than firefly...
          Firefly, for all it's greatness was hardly the first "space cowboy" series. Bebop, Trigun, and hell, even Bravestar predate it as a concept, and I'm positive some of the older members here can think of other stuff.
          I think it's silly to disregard a idea based on format, there are lots of great anime, or even just "western style" cartoons that explore some very interesting concepts and, to simply ignore them based on the fact that they are "cartoons", is just wrong.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I don't believe he was trying to suggest in anyway that it was the "first space cowboy" series. Star Trek was originally conceived as a "western in space" but when it comes to animation, The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers came out before Bravestar and before all them, Bismark was out (took a few years, but was released as Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs).

I think what he's trying to say, is when you get a show like Firefly or Bebop, with a random crew of people who all have their own unique back story, secrets, objectives and work together doing odd jobs and fighting off hunger, being broke and their ship falling out of the sky, Bebop wins it for him.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              . . .I think what he's trying to say, is when you get a show like Firefly or Bebop, with a random crew of people who all have their own unique back story, secrets, objectives and work together doing odd jobs and fighting off hunger, being broke and their ship falling out of the sky, Bebop wins it for him.
              Exactly. I need to watch firefly again though...It has been quite a while.

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              . . .It's one of the few anime series that I have enjoyed because it more than just the typical crap we get these days, of manga being turned to anime and involving some teenager becoming more and more powerful, given hundreds of episodes of filler just to make it last longer and doesn't seem to have an end in sight. Instead, Bebop comes off as a series that is animated simply because it would have been too expensive to film it live. . . .
              That's the main reason why I love Bebop. It doesn't feel like anime (well except for some of the fighting scenes) the characters feel like complex, real people. Plus the show has one of the classiest openings of any show I think I've ever seen sci-fi or not. The cinematography is beautiful; it feels like it's live action with the typical anime shots thrown in tastefully.
              Last edited by Robot Nightmare; 19 March 2011, 11:34 AM. Reason: uber run-on sentence :P

Comment

Originally posted by Robot Nightmare View Post
                Exactly. I need to watch firefly again though...It has been quite a while.

That's the main reason why I love Bebop. It doesn't feel like anime (well except for some of the fighting scenes) the characters feel like complex, real people. Plus the show has one of the classiest openings of any show I think I've ever seen sci-fi or not. The cinematography is beautiful; it feels like it's live action with the typical anime shots thrown in tastefully.
                Well, let's just agree that Bebop is just awesome then
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                X