Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sci fi reality check: the state of affairs as I see it

Babylon 5 Universe
    B5 came to its natural end, Legend of the Rangers was a failure, Crusade was butchered by TNT, and The Lost Tales is considered a failure by JMS himself. We'll always have our DVDs, but the franchise is toast.

Farscape
    A lot of us have wanted a Season 5 for a very long time. We got The Peacekeeper Wars, some comics, and that's it. There's been rumours of a web series, but all evidence seems to indicate it's been shelved indefinitely. Done.

Firefly
    I love stories of sites like HelpNathanBuyFirefly.com, but networks rarely ever sell their IPs. For all the lousy treatment that FOX gave it, it's still a FOX property and they aren't going to let it go. We got Serentiy, and we get the odd comic. But it's never coming back to TV.

Fringe
    Where we are right now, I really think it could go either way. FOX's decision to move the show into the Friday Night Death Slot was a kick in the teeth to all of us fans, and it's still something to be very very concerned about. But to everyone's surprise, the show has managed to hang onto most of its audience. That, paired with show-runner public statements that they believe they'll get another year if they maintain a 1.2 (which they've been consistently above), are causes for optimism. That said, the numbers still aren't very good for a major network series. So, yeah, I think it could still go either way.

Stargate SG-1
    It's done. I hate to say it, because I would enjoy more movies, but I really don't think it's in the cards. All of the show's story arcs have been resolved, and then we got a movie that was a bit of AU/back to the beginning style fun in Continuum. But let's be honest: it's been years since anything SG-1 has been made, the sets are gone, and the actors have moved on. Odds are, it's done and gone.

Stargate Atlantis
    Finished. Aside from the recent statement that the movie has been shelved indefinitely pending SGU's resolution, realize the reason why the show ended in the first place. Stargate's show-runners simply weren't interested in doing a sixth season, no matter how much it was wanted by the fans. The show is over and it isn't coming back.

Stargate Universe
    A third season is absolutely not in the cards. A miniseries or direct-to-DVD movie is still possible, but as more and more time passes, it seems increasingly unlikely. At this point it's entirely possible, and even likely, that when the show finishes its final 10 episodes, it'll be over.

Star Trek Returning to Television
    Still possible. But until they're done making a fortune off of JJ Abrams' movies, it will remain a film franchise. As to a return to the original/Prime universe? Never going to happen.

Star Wars
    Sorry, haters, it's not going away. George Lucas said at the very beginning of The Clone Wars that they were planning on "about 100 episodes" regardless of ratings. So right there is two more years of Star Wars on TV. In September of 2011, all six films will be released for the first time on Blu-ray. And starting next winter (Feb 2012), all six films will begin seeing a (likely annual) theatrical re-release in 3D. So expect six more years of Star Wars on the big screen (and accompanying advertisement).

And don't let's also forget the proposed live-action TV series. The buzz says they already know what they want to do script-wise for the whole first season, and have preliminary plans for expanding it into four separate series after a few years. For the moment it's on hold ostensibly because they don't know how to make it profitable. But anyone with even an inkling of understanding of the entertainment business knows that that's just code for "it'll be profitable, but not profitable enough." So expect more Star Wars on TV in the future.

True Blood
    HBO's darling series de jour. The show has been such a ratings powerhouse for the network that a fifth season is virtually a lock now, before the fourth season has even begun airing.

V (2009)
    It's over. It was over when the season premiere was pushed back, and when the episode order for Season 2 was reduced from 13 to 10. The Season 2 premiere held the numbers from the S1 finale (which were barely enough to secure renewal), and viewership has dropped off steadily since then. This one is finished too.

The X-Files 3
    A distinct possibility. It's obvious at this point that I Want to Believe did not perform up to expectation, and was an underwhelming film even for big X-Files fans. But it's come out that it has made its money back, so it really can't be considered a flop anymore.

It seems that the XF show-runners and actors are interested in a third film, so it's entirely possible that this project could happen. But the ball is in FOX's court, who may be (understandably) trepedatious after the poor performance of the last film.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Something tells me that good scifi will drop off the radar........its a sure sign that we as humans are getting dumber (who the hell wants to watch whiny vampires...SERIOUSLY!)

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      Something tells me that good scifi will drop off the radar........its a sure sign that we as humans are getting dumber (who the hell wants to watch whiny vampires...SERIOUSLY!)
      That is a common phenomen. Every generation seems to think their days growing up was better culturally than the present
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Quoted for truth. I want scifi, but all we get is more fantasy. Fantasy is fine, but it isn't a substitute for scifi.

But I repeat myself...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          That is a common phenomen. Every generation seems to think their days growing up was better culturally than the present
          Nice platitude, Jel, but it doesn't really bear any relation to what was said in the post to which you were allegedly responding. Because scifi =/= fantasy. Vampires are fantasy.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
            Nice platitude, Jel, but it doesn't really bear any relation to what was said in the post to which you were allegedly responding. Because scifi =/= fantasy. Vampires are fantasy.
            Of course it does. He is saying that audiences are getting dumber. People have making that claim for decades and even centuries. Doesn't make it true
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

No I think jelly's right. It's a common trait to every group that thinks things are going downhill from THEIR day. Every generation says it, and every generation it's bull.

But I do think that, SF/F television is uniquely endangered in the modern era for other reasons. With the advent and rapid development of high-quality VFX, and the consequent increased viewer expectations re: VFX, I wonder about the cost of producing SF/F outstripping the potential profit margins demanded by networks. Completely putting aside the storytelling argument, because any generation can tell a good story, I think the cost-to-return margin is getting smaller; and that of all the genres of television out there, ours is the most likely to be the first squeezed out.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I dunno... I really do think that audiences are getting dumber. Good grief, half the crap on TV right now wouldn't have flown thirty years ago.

That said, I don't think it's FX costs that threaten scifi. I really do think it's got a lot to do with the blurring of genre lines. At present, far too many people conflate scifi with fantasy, and I really do think that's an issue. Fantasy will probably continue as a strong genre, but scifi appears to be withering, which truly saddens me.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Why limit yourself to science-fiction, especially science-fiction television drama? There are plenty of science-fiction novels and movies. Why limit yourself to the genre, though? When it comes to TV, I will admit the only genre that really captures my interest is science-fiction. However, when it comes to books and movies; anything goes. When you become open to other genres or eliminate genres and just go for whatever sounds interesting, then you have far more to choose from.

Comment

yes but i do want to watch TV. and nowadays the quality of TV really IS reducing. there is no denial. i don't know about america, but here, 40% is crimescene, 20% is medical, 30% is talent, and the remainder is comedy. none of this includes Sci Fi. yes there is Fringe and some other supernatural crap but no real sci fi.

worse, when i watched the ad for SGU S1 DVD, it made me felt like i was watching some cheap-ass, barely credible and stupid fantasy show. not the incredible, awesome and good looking show i watched. they didn't even properly TRANSLATE the premise, in a country where you at the very least get some basics in 3 foreign languages and where it's mandatory you at least know 2 foreign languages. we get english from the 8th class (around 11-12 years old). and those morons can't even translate basic english, claiming that icarus contains some energy, unlike no other, that allows them to travel across the universe. i cringed that entire ad.

how the hell is Sci Fi supposed to sell here if any marketing attempt makes it sound 300x more stupid than it really is. they could take BSG and make it sound like you're watching the original.

and yes people ARE getting dumber. yesterday i nearly died laughing. we sat in the car and we talked politics. and my friends supported the PVV (geert wilders' party ) and preferred to kick the foreigners out of the country. it was hilarious.

it went something like this:

"we should kick the foreigners back to their own country."
                    Me: "what car do you drive?"
                    "peugeot"
                    Me: "thats foreign"

then i went to name their favorite dishes, telephones, TV's, computers, and basically it's all foreign. dang i never had such a great laugh.

besides, this is a country which thrives on trade. the kind you need good relationships with other countries for. which makes the entire debate even more insane.

so yes they're getting dumber.

i think the lack of Sci Fi comes from a natural source however.

Sci Fi was invented (well it took great flight) when Man was exploring technology and people's world was turned upside down. to the sky, to the moon, no limits.

but nowadays technology is kicked into such a high gear, people are fed up by it. basically we live in a high-tech world, and we have no desire anymore to think about the even more limitless potentials than we already are bombarded with. every telephone ad tells you that whatever you had is crap and that the only phone you should own is that particular one. then in about half a year, the very same producer tells you that everything you owned is crap and that this phone is the only one. in both cases, limitless potential and the newest apps and devices.

we're surrounded with people screaming limitless potential. we don't need a TV show to repeat it to us again.

at least, that's my theory.

i enjoy Sci Fi because of many things. but mostly, because i love space ships, i love aliens. i love the "what if" question

Comment

I agree with the OP about those shows. The upside is that there are a slew of new Sci-Fi/Fantasy shows scheduled to start airing this year. What the quality of the content in these shows will be is undetermined but some have huge potential (Game of Thrones anyone?)

As for the SF=/=F that doesn't matter to me. I would lump it together in terms of TV shows simply because in comparison to other genres there's very few of these on the air right now. Both SF and F offer a similar escape from reality which I thoroughly enjoy. Whether its spaceships and aliens or vampires and magic, both are equally as entertaining, assuming they are well done.
                      sigpic

Comment

Millions of people world wide.

And i agree. Every generation thinks the next is getting dumber, its nothing new.

Complaining about foriegners? Again, nothing new. Its a step up from lynching and "you cant use this door or sit on this seat on the buss, its whites only."
                        sigpic

Comment

lol, it is getting dumber, distilling the shows with 'reality tv' elements and you can't really argue that most of the reality tv is 'intelligent'. I'm young. And agree with the person that said sci-fi isn't just tv shows, you need to read more. They're better.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                            lol, it is getting dumber, distilling the shows with 'reality tv' elements and you can't really argue that most of the reality tv is 'intelligent'. I'm young. And agree with the person that said sci-fi isn't just tv shows, you need to read more. They're better.
                            Those kind of shows have been around for ages. The phrase nothing new must be used again.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                              Why limit yourself to science-fiction, especially science-fiction television drama? There are plenty of science-fiction novels and movies. Why limit yourself to the genre, though? When it comes to TV, I will admit the only genre that really captures my interest is science-fiction. However, when it comes to books and movies; anything goes. When you become open to other genres or eliminate genres and just go for whatever sounds interesting, then you have far more to choose from.
                              I read all kinds of books, actually. But just because I also like historical novels, mystery novels, fantasy novels, military fiction, spy thrillers and adventure novels (and all of the same in films and television, as well), that doesn't change my level of concern over science fiction, especially considering that science fiction is both my first love and my primary chosen genre as an author.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X