War of the Worlds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War of the Worlds?

I wonder what was your oppinion on the movies that they had made? I really liked the new one with Tom Cruise (all because of stuff blowing up) But I would like to know what was your oppinion of the films? And if the Tripod(2005) invasion where to happen now how would you survive?

Nothing tops the radio broadcast
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Nothing tops the radio broadcast
      Indeed! No remake or "reimagining" shall ever top the original radio broadcast.
      sigpic
      Don't touch Lola

Comment

to be honest I preferred the original book (by H.G. Wells)

EDIT: of course H. G. Wells (Herbert George Wells) - sorry, mistyped, thanks to Rickington to point it out to me
        Last edited by mi_guard; 01 February 2011, 10:02 AM.
        Grimm returns October 24
        sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
        Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

I loved reading the book as a child, and when Jeff Wayne brought out his album in the 70's It blew me away. (Yes I am that old!) I still have it, lovingly preserved complete with the artwork. The CD booklet doesn't do the pictures justice, they are way too small.

Of the two films I think the Tom cruise one is the better, although neither really follow the script of the book very well. I didn't like the mad vicar from the book being turned into a saint and a hero in the early film, but you weren't allowed to show religious people as deranged or disillusioned in those days.

I would love to see somebody make a version where the characters and settings are kept the same as the book, although since the story is so well known, it would probably be a box office flop.
          sigpic

Comment

I love to re-read the book every year or so. Loved the 1950's movie. Probably the first "serious" alien invasion movie made. I found the Tom Cruise movie to have wonderful effects,and it was nice that it tried to follow the orignal story more closely. But I HATED most of the characterzations of most of the characters. The son for prime example. If he had been shown beeing stepped on by a Walker. I would have cheered.

And as for the 2 straight to DVD ripp off versions. .....I would rather eat glass then watch them again.
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

You know, we have a Sci Fi/Fantasy forum.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

My favorite is the Fifties movie.

But I have not seen any movie that is an actual faithful adaption of the book. It's always been adapted to fit the modern time.

Comment

Working...
                X