Androids vs. Cyborgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Androids vs. Cyborgs

This is not about who would win in a fight. In movies, television, books, comics; whatever the format... in stories... which do you find more dramatically interesting, androids or cyborgs? Do tell us why.

Hmm. One of my favourite sci-fi characters is a cyborg (well, probably? ): Major Matoko Kusanagi (probably not her real name, too ) from Ghost in the Shell (manga/anime movies and series).
    The questions raised by her existence and what she does with it throughout the series (comics and the anime series/movies) are quite interesting, especially when relating to being human.
    Spoiler:
    In the end of the movie and the manga, she merges w/ an AI, which, IMHO, delves into furthers questions of identity and whatnot

There's also the possibility that, considering her setting and the genre, that she isn't/wasn't fully human to begin with (I mean, her memories, as shown in GitS: SAC2ndGig, could be fabricated, after all).

The 'android desiring to be human' aspect of some sci-fi is kinda interesting, too.
    Last edited by gotthammer; 30 December 2010, 09:30 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

What about a computer, an artificial intelligence, designed to serve humanity? What if that AI desired to be human, but knowing its limitations, it creates an avatar? What if this avatar were a cybernetic creature? Human on the outside, artificial within. God creates man, man creates AI, AI creates man, and then... what if that man sought out God?

Comment

Hmm...while I know that cybernetic organism necessitates biological stuff...wouldn't an AI-made 'being', even if it possessed bio-stuff, still fall under 'android'?
        (as is: a cyborg stems from a human/animal being fused w/ cybernetics/tech?)

Either way, sounds like SkyNet.

And man seems to be 'seeking God' most of the time (whether through science or faith). If you meant in terms of being able to 'create life': well, I think scientists have been at that for a while now.
        (tho' it'll be a while, if ever, they get around to the 'ex nihilo' bit)
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X