Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Community created Sci-Fi show

OK.... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!

I'm so sick and tired of my shows being canceled over and over and over again. It's driving me crazy. So crazy in fact that I've come up with the idea below. Let me know what you guys think.... would something like this be possible? I think it would.

So the idea is pretty simple actually. Create an extreme low-budget, independent, community created sci-fi show. Between us we have the talent, know-how, and anything else we may need to get something like this done.

When I say low-budget I REALLY mean low-budget. I've had a few ideas for an over-arching story line, but this is something that really would need to be decided by the community as a whole. One idea would be based on an off-world colony with a group of people who are the first travelers from earth. This would require minimum sets, and most shots could be done outdoors. This would also allow for a very small initial cast, and allow it to be expanded as needed (new travelers arriving from earth). It would also be able to write-out characters. Why would the need to write-out characters be an issue? Funny you should ask. Read the next paragraph to find out.

Actors would need to be volunteers only, at least at first. Because they aren't being paid, shots would need to be done part-time. If an actor loses interest, or no longer has time to work on the project the actors would need to be written out and replaced.

A great relatively recent example of a low-budget (by today's standards) show would be the 90s show Lois and Clark. Watch a few episodes and look at how they reduced costs. All the shots of superman flying were just him standing in front of a greenscreen with clouds running behind him. Very basic effects, many of which could be done today at very little to no cost. Similar effects could be used to introduce the sci-fi elements of the show.

Many people care about the stories far more than the effects. The point is to get the ball rolling on something to "fill the void" being left by the lack of any traditional old-school sci-fi.

Ideally episodes need to be 1 hour minimum, and a full season of 20 episodes minimum needs to be created.

Scripts could be written by the community, and posted to a special forum. From there the production team could pick the best stories- the writer would get his name in the credits, and the show would save on having to pay writers.

Any profits made by ads on the website etc. would first go to pay for the shows expenses, and anything left over would be split up amongst the production staff and the actors (if enough was somehow made to pay for the full season, and another season thereafter). Some monies may also be used to increase the budget of the show if it starts to do really well somehow.

With all these costs minimized to almost nothing, a pilot episode could be made in relatively short order. Once it was to launch it would draw new fans who would contribute to continuing the story, and pull in ad revenue to pay for better effects etc. in the first few episodes.

The goal of the show is NOT to make a ton of money, make its actors famous, or get a network to pick it up. The goal is to create an ongoing series that people can enjoy from week to week, without worrying about the networks pulling the plug. As long as the community supports the show it will continue to run.

So what do you guys think of the idea? Do you think something like this might work? I'm so sick of shows being canceled over and over again - If the networks aren't willing to provide us with any stability, than I say we should make it ourselves!

You have an interesting albeit overly ambitious idea, IMHO. Firstly, I think you need to be a bit more specific about what you want to do for the show, after all "sci-fi show" is just a bit vague. Do you mean an anthology type show ala the Twilight Zone? Also, I think hour long episodes are pretty long for a web-series and a twenty episode season is also very long. Not only do you have to write and re-write those scripts, you actually have to film and edit them. What do you intend to do with regards to production related staff, props, casting, etc.? Finally, what do you intend to do with regards to intellectual property? I don't think too many writers would just volunteer to have their scripts taken and not get paid. I understand the idea of writers as part of the community, but if you're selling ads for your show then you're making money off of the work of the writers. While I am not a professional writer I would be kind of upset that your organization would be making money off of my intellectual property while I don't see anything other than get my name in the credits of your program.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
      You have an interesting albeit overly ambitious idea, IMHO. Firstly, I think you need to be a bit more specific about what you want to do for the show, after all "sci-fi show" is just a bit vague. Do you mean an anthology type show ala the Twilight Zone? Also, I think hour long episodes are pretty long for a web-series and a twenty episode season is also very long. Not only do you have to write and re-write those scripts, you actually have to film and edit them. What do you intend to do with regards to production related staff, props, casting, etc.? Finally, what do you intend to do with regards to intellectual property? I don't think too many writers would just volunteer to have their scripts taken and not get paid. I understand the idea of writers as part of the community, but if you're selling ads for your show then you're making money off of the work of the writers. While I am not a professional writer I would be kind of upset that your organization would be making money off of my intellectual property while I don't see anything other than get my name in the credits of your program.
      The length is where you would make up for the low-quality effects etc. It's a must.

As for the scripts.... How many people here would write a script for the Stargate team if they took fan submissions for a contest or whathaveyou. It's a way to get recognition for your writing. The writers could also get a chunk of the ads (I was including them with "production team" ) if they started actually making real money, but that would have to be something to be worked out by the group as a whole.

These were just some quick ideas I had on it.... The reason I kept stuff like "Sci-Fi Show" vague, is because I don't represent the community as a whole. It would really have to be something they wanted to do.

The only real firm requirement I'd say is that it must be an original idea, not a "Lets make a Star Trek/Star Gate/BSG/B5/Whatever series!" kinda thing...

EDIT: A second point on the length. We would start with a single 1 hour introduction episode and see how it fares. If it does well than production could begin on say 5 more. I'd like to see a minimum of 20 hours for a full "Season" of the show, unless it does absolutely terribly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
        OK.... ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!

I'm so sick and tired of my shows being canceled over and over and over again. It's driving me crazy. So crazy in fact that I've come up with the idea below. Let me know what you guys think.... would something like this be possible? I think it would.

So the idea is pretty simple actually. Create an extreme low-budget...
        You lost me at low-budget.

Comment

This would indeed be quite an ambitious task.
          You should remember that filming a show is a full time job and requires many people to write, film, produce etc. I don't know if you would be able to find many people that will volunteer to work for free. And if you did get volunteers, most would probably not live near each other. Would you require them to move to one location or correspond via internet?

Comment

If I were a writer I wouldn't mind getting my foot in the door somehow. But I would also want to be compensated. Let's say I did get a script accepted as an SGU script, yes, I'd be thrilled but the fact would be that MGM would stand to make potentially millions off of my work and I won't see a dime. That would make me mad.

Also, if you don't intend to pay writers, how do you intend to keep the most talented ones around?

Comment

Originally posted by Grace View Post
              This would indeed be quite an ambitious task.
              You should remember that filming a show is a full time job and requires many people to write, film, produce etc. I don't know if you would be able to find many people that will volunteer to work for free. And if you did get volunteers, most would probably not live near each other. Would you require them to move to one location or correspond via internet?
              Well only a small percentage of the staff would need to be in the same geographic location. The actors and film crew of course. But a lot of the work (editing, etc.) could be done from anywhere. We would also need to pick a location such as Los Angeles where there is already an established film-base. This will make it more likely to get actors etc. because if people are wanting to be an actor for a living that is where they are going to be. Even than some scenes may be able to be shot elsewhere. The first thing to do would be to find out who might be interested, and figure it out from there.

It is indeed a big job.... but it is one that I really think HAS to happen. The benefits would be two-fold. First, it would give us all something new to watch - Second, it would be a wakeup call to the networks that if they won't take care of us, we'll take care of ourselves. In a way the whole production is a sign of protest against the networks.

If I were a writer I wouldn't mind getting my foot in the door somehow. But I would also want to be compensated. Let's say I did get a script accepted as an SGU script, yes, I'd be thrilled but the fact would be that MGM would stand to make potentially millions off of my work and I won't see a dime. That would make me mad.

Also, if you don't intend to pay writers, how do you intend to keep the most talented ones around?
              Well theres two ways to answer that question. The obvious answer is that you are being paid in recognition. After your script is accepted and the episode released, that gives you something to put on your Resume/CV when applying to be a paid writer elsewhere. It's VERY hard to get in the door as a scripted episode writer and this would give people a chance to "break in".

The second answer would only apply if the show does well. If an episode actually makes money (over and above the costs to make the show) than any excess money would be divided amongst the production team (likely including the episode writers) and the actors etc.

The point of this is NOT to get rich. It is to create a series we all can enjoy.
              Last edited by Ekras; 31 December 2010, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I would like high tank bombers and tanks and superbattleships (in space!)
                I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Flash animation is probably the only viable way that it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                    Flash animation is probably the only viable way that it can be done.
                    Thats where your wrong. 10 years ago, yeah.... that would have been the case. But times have changed, and the technology to do this is here NOW. It's been here for some time but was far too expensive for a project like this. Not anymore.

For example for some of the effects you have the following:

Greenscreen (Practically free today.... The most basic video editing equipment allows you to do greenscreen effects.

Light computer generated effects. They don't have to look super real. Go back to the example I used above (Lois and Clark) for some ideas of what I'm talking about. Things like explosions, people being vaporized, teleportation, are all easy to do.

Old-fashioned props: Watch any 1970s or 1980s scifi movie or show. Some of the effects are downright hilarious today.

Comment

But all of that would look really bad on a low budget.

Flash animation can make things look good with the right artistic style.

Comment

What do you think the average budget for one of your shows would be (you don't have to itemize it, just give us an idea)?

Comment

What do you think the average budget for one of your shows would be (you don't have to itemize it, just give us an idea)?
                          15 million at least. Probably more.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            15 million at least. Probably more.
                            What Pesos?

I'm thinking $5,000 for a regular episode, $15,000 for the Pilot (creating sets etc.) and $10,000 for Episodes 1 and 20.

REALLY low budget.

People were happy when "Lost in Space" and the original Star Trek was on TV. You really don't need crazy effects to make a good show. Obviously i'm talking above that level, but it's more than doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Ekras View Post
                              What Pesos?

I'm thinking $5,000 for a regular episode, $15,000 for the Pilot (creating sets etc.) and $10,000 for Episodes 1 and 20.

REALLY low budget.

People were happy when "Lost in Space" and the original Star Trek was on TV. You really don't need crazy effects to make a good show. Obviously i'm talking above that level, but it's more than doable.
                              Or you can just ditch the sets and go the Sanctuary route with almost all greenscreen. Obviously you need a server farm and quite a few 3D modeling experts, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X