Back to the Future (Movie Questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the Future (Movie Questions)

I couldnt find a Thread for this Movie, so I hope I am not stepping on anyones toes when making a new thread. I was rewatching "Back to the Future", one of my favorite movies of all time, and the Beginning gave me a Question that I simply cant answer by myself.

In the first Scene of the first Movie, Marty plays around with the Docs Amplifier and gets send through the room. Short time later, the Doc calls him and gets extremely excited that all of his clocks are going 25 minutes behind. He supposedly wasnt at home for a week and was working on the Delorean. So my Question is simply WTH?

I still think that they put a lot of thought into that movie and most of it makes sense, but what is that Scene supposed to mean? They didnt put that in there by Accident, working somewhere away from Home wont make all of his clocks go behind for exactly the same time. I keep thinking that the Doc send his own House forward in time, but that simply would be to weird if he hasnt even tested the Delorean.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

The doc set his clocks back 25 minutes before he left. I think he was just excited they all sounded off at the same time. The purpose of this scene was to show how obsessed the "Doc" is with science and to foreshadow the time machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      The doc set his clocks back 25 minutes before he left. I think he was just excited they all sounded off at the same time. The purpose of this scene was to show how obsessed the "Doc" is with science and to foreshadow the time machine.
      This. also, it was just to set up the fact that Marty was late for school. Ultimately it was just a plot device.

Damn good catch though, had me thinking for a minute! =D

Comment

Originally posted by themeatcleaver View Post
        This. also, it was just to set up the fact that Marty was late for school. Ultimately it was just a plot device.

Damn good catch though, had me thinking for a minute! =D
        So.."Yes! My Experiment worked, the clocks are all 25 minutes behind", referred to him setting all his clocks back before he left? Thats just silly.
        Last edited by tomstone; 22 December 2010, 11:13 PM.
        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Well I'm assuming that the Doc made other temporal experiments before he built the delorean. It's possible that he experimented with various time devices first. Afterall......you don't just create a flux capacitor and decide it needs to be a modded Delorean, powered by a single pellet of Plutonium on a whim.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

My guess is that he used a "beta" version to the flux capacitor to slow time around each clock, then waited to see if they were still sync and there was no unforeseen consequence to the clocks after the end of the experiment.

If i remember correctly, he says at some point he used a delorean because it's made in metal able to wistand flux dispertion or something like that.

Maybe each time before, he enclosed the clocks in another metal and they ended not sync because of this flux dispertion, then the final time, he used the delorean metal and it worked, so he used the delorean and was still happy to see that they were still sync with no problem a week later when marty came at the lab.

I know there is no basis for it, but i hate plotholes and need to create an explanation for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by flobo View Post
              My guess is that he used a "beta" version to the flux capacitor to slow time around each clock, then waited to see if they were still sync and there was no unforeseen consequence to the clocks after the end of the experiment.

If i remember correctly, he says at some point he used a delorean because it's made in metal able to wistand flux dispertion or something like that.

Maybe each time before, he enclosed the clocks in another metal and they ended not sync because of this flux dispertion, then the final time, he used the delorean metal and it worked, so he used the delorean and was still happy to see that they were still sync with no problem a week later when marty came at the lab.

I know there is no basis for it, but i hate plotholes and need to create an explanation for everything.
              I really like that explanation, also fits with his not being there. Maybe he had to be out of the House to make sure his testwatch was not affected.

I just hope they wont remake the Movie anytime soon. At least for me it is Timeless.

P.S: I also hate Plotholes, though with a Movie like this it is hard to be picky. Jennifers Role in the Movie is one BIG Plothole. The paradoxes with her just keep happening and so for all Main Characters, but I guess Timetravel makes Travelers immune to Timechanges.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

The way i make it work is that someone outside his time period is protected from time change and "erase" the new version of himself when he/she goes back to his time.

(Original marty at the end of first movie erased "new marty" who grew up with nicer/richer parents all the time, he erased switzeland marty in btt2,...).

Of course, it's still a mess. In Biff's 1985, did marty's delorean arrived on oct 26 around 1 am ? Probably not, it make me think of the chrono series where Time ******* was invented to make it all work (and it can make everything work in bttf the same way).

The only two things i really have a problem with are :

1/ Sleeping Jennifer and Ennie transferred from one timeline to another, it just feel weird. How did she end up here in the "final" timeline ?

2/When they go in the future in part2, Marty and Jennifer shouldn't exist, they should have been missing for 30 years. But since Doc must have known of this problem, maybe he did something to "keep" the future timeline unaltered before coming to get them.

Comment

Originally posted by flobo View Post

2/When they go in the future in part2, Marty and Jennifer shouldn't exist, they should have been missing for 30 years. But since Doc must have known of this problem, maybe he did something to "keep" the future timeline unaltered before coming to get them.
                  i think that as long as they didn't change anything, they would exist since in the end (in marty's case 3rd movie) they end up back where they started, after he brought him to the future. i have no idea if that makes any sense.
                  sigpic

Comment

You have to assume than they are still here since they WILL make the journey back in the future.

But of that was the case, it mean that it is written beforehand and can't be changed, which contradict pretty much everything else in the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                      i think that as long as they didn't change anything, they would exist since in the end (in marty's case 3rd movie) they end up back where they started, after he brought him to the future. i have no idea if that makes any sense.
                      It makes sense. As long as there is the Intention to bring them back later it should be no problem. Altough in that case they would have rememberd what happened back then when they went to the future, but I wouldnt put a Memory Eraser past the Docs abilities.

Jennifer in the 3rd Movie just really bugs me, she switched realities and maintained her Memories including the Paper from the Future.
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

sigpic
                        Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Logical or not, those were fun movies.
                          sigpic
                          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                            Logical or not, those were fun movies.

Not were, still are.
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Working...
                            X