PDA

View Full Version : Had that BSG feel to it

haloplayer
December 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Destiny comes under attack by a robotic enemy....it fights bravely but its outnumbered and its FTL goes offline.

There DOOMED

UNTIL

A similar ship comes out of FTL and saves the day.

That reminded me of when Galactica was outnumbered by cylons and its FTL had gone off line, when Pegasus, a ship of similar design, jumped in and saved the day.

All that was missing in the space battle of this episode was the sound of beating drums :D

Im probably the only one who thought of that though.

Pharaoh Atem
December 9th, 2010, 11:04 PM
f the seed ship is destroyed in the next ep then yes your righ

escyos
December 9th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Destiny comes under attack by a robotic enemy....it fights bravely but its outnumbered and its FTL goes offline.

There DOOMED

UNTIL

A similar ship comes out of FTL and saves the day.

That reminded me of when Galactica was outnumbered by cylons and its FTL had gone off line, when Pegasus, a ship of similar design, jumped in and saved the day.

All that was missing in the space battle of this episode was the sound of beating drums :D

OH MY GOD!

YOUR RIGHT - and that scene where young talked to rush was just like that scene where adama talked to apollo! *sarcasm*

JustAnotherVoice
December 9th, 2010, 11:27 PM

I was going to post something snarky but I won't.

SGSargon
December 10th, 2010, 03:05 AM
If they don't destroy it in the next episode, the seed ship could become a sort of Pegasus.

jelgate
December 10th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Of course it reminded you as BSG. As the forum agreed months everything started with BSG

thekillman
December 10th, 2010, 05:22 AM
well i believe it does have a similar feel, although unlike most people, i consider it a compliment, not an insult.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 10th, 2010, 05:36 AM
f the seed ship is destroyed in the next ep then yes your righ

How do you figure that? Pegasus was kept around for quite some time as I recall. I'm currently re-watching so if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

droid327
December 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Of course the seed ship has to be destroyed in the next episode...if its not, or at least if the Ursini dont abscond with it after the battle, then they can use its power reserves to dial Earth, and obviously that can't happen.

I agree with someone else's prediction that Chloe programmed the seed ship to kamikaze into the drone command ship. That neatly ends the battle as well as cleans up that loose end, and explains why Chloe would have said "its too late" - not for Destiny, but for the Ursini on board the seed ship whom she just doomed.

Gatefan1976
December 10th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Actually I thought of Han Solo turning up on the original death star run to save Luke and when The Enterprise E came in and saved the day in First Contact, but thats just me.

Buck32
December 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
The whole episode was a poor man's BSG!!! robotic drones out to kill the crew? you're right all that was missing were the drums and the occasional "Frack". It's clear the writers, producers etc have no idea where they're going with this show, i say just end it now before it becomes a parody of every Sci Fi show we've ever seen. I say this as a fan of stargate, but universe is not a stargate show, it's just nothing, it's a show about nothing with the stargate name slapped on it. I mean we're one and a half seasons in and nothing has happenned!!!! a few people have died they'be been to a couple of planets, they've communicated with Earth far too much. Face it this show is a turkey! if it doesn't get cancelled not only will i be surprised but dissapointed because it means the future for sci fi shows on TV is bleak if this is all they can come up with!!!

J-Whitt Remastered
December 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
*snip*robotic drones out to kill the crew?*snip*

It was never stated that the drone were robotic.

haloplayer
December 10th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Of course they are controlled by some sort of AI.

1. There under control from a Control Ship.
2. How could a crew survive in those ships? They are meant to combat the enemy, and once destroyed, become dormant. Perhaps there is a creature in there which goes into stasis, but that's unlikely. After all the brown aliens said they found them dormant as well which led to their conflict. I believe it is highly implied the ships are robots.

Now all we need in the next episode is for Telford to say "Thank You", to the seeder ship before its destruction. It will probably be sacrificed for the survival of Destiny.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM

1. There under control from a Control Ship.
2. How could a crew survive in those ships? They are meant to combat the enemy, and once destroyed, become dormant. Perhaps there is a creature in there which goes into stasis, but that's unlikely. After all the brown aliens said they found them dormant as well which led to their conflict. I believe it is highly implied the ships are robots.

Now all we need in the next episode is for Telford to say "Thank You", to the seeder ship before its destruction. It will probably be sacrificed for the survival of Destiny.

My computer will start a virus scan when it determines that I downloaded a corrupt file. That doesn't mean it's robotic. Just that it can determine one of it's programming criteria has been met and it needs to do something about it. All it is is an automated program. Nothing "AI" about that.

haloplayer
December 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM
My computer will start a virus scan when it determines that I downloaded a corrupt file. That doesn't mean it's robotic. Just that it can determine one of it's programming criteria has been met and it needs to do something about it. All it is is an automated program. Nothing "AI" about that.

It doesn't need an AI to be a Robot. After all the drones used in Afghanistan can be considered Robots even though they don't control themselves.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 10th, 2010, 11:37 PM

Your words, not mine.

Buck32
December 11th, 2010, 01:42 AM

No it wasn't but i guess if they're controlled by a control ship, which was stated you would have to assume they're some form of automaton, be it organic or mechanical, what does it matter anyway? it's been done before, and a lot better, by BSG.

knowles2
December 11th, 2010, 02:30 AM
These drones has less than 2 minutes on screen an we know precisely zero about them.

Saying it all been done before an better even before the writers get to tell there story is completely unfair.

An BSG handle the metal version of the Cylon extremely poorly an they were under use, in fact they were not use at all, even when they did create what could have been a interesting story, a slave race becoming independent of there masters, it was completly ignored storyline that was given like 10 second screen time in the last episode, an we suppose to believe that Cylon would float off into the stars an leave humanity alone an not take the opportunity to wipe them out once an for all. Instead we got the boring organics an religious arguments, which was boring an dull to watch. BSG did a poor job at story telling overall, an the metal cylons story was the worst.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 11th, 2010, 04:09 AM
An BSG handle the metal version of the Cylon extremely poorly an they were under use, in fact they were not use at all, even when they did create what could have been a interesting story, a slave race becoming independent of there masters, it was completly ignored storyline that was given like 10 second screen time in the last episode, an we suppose to believe that Cylon would float off into the stars an leave humanity alone an not take the opportunity to wipe them out once an for all. Instead we got the boring organics an religious arguments, which was boring an dull to watch. BSG did a poor job at story telling overall, an the metal cylons story was the worst.

Really? I found the metal Cylons to be pretty well developed. In fact the Raiders had an entire episode devoted to one of their own. Season 2 Episode 15 showed the Colonials trying to destroy a Raider known as Scar. The Raiders themselves can be resurrected just as the skinjobs can. After enough resurrections Scar became pissed that he kept being killed and became much better at killing. The Centurions were less developed, but I still felt that they were much better developed than most bad guys in other sci-fi shows.

thekillman
December 11th, 2010, 04:32 AM

please watch BSG and then come back to tell you were wrong.

-there are no metallic Cylons. the Centurions are flesh on the inside, so are the Raiders. Scar had an entire episode devoted to him. they acted intelligent in the Battle of the Ionian Nebula, choose to go their own way in Daybreak, etc etc etc. Gaius even tells one of God

J-Whitt Remastered
December 11th, 2010, 05:14 AM
*snip*-there are no metallic Cylons. the Centurions are flesh on the inside,*snip*

Which episode was that said/shown? I'm currently re-watching and would like to keep an eye out for it.

jelgate
December 11th, 2010, 06:00 AM
No it wasn't but i guess if they're controlled by a control ship, which was stated you would have to assume they're some form of automaton, be it organic or mechanical, what does it matter anyway? it's been done before, and a lot better, by BSG.

And more then a few Scifi TV shows, movies, and literature:P

thekillman
December 11th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Which episode was that said/shown? I'm currently re-watching and would like to keep an eye out for it.

i don't know. i just know that when they pump a bullet through them, we get lots of blood.

Season 4 shows the most of the cylons. they lobotomize the Raiders since the raiders refuse to attack the Final Five. the intelligence inhibiting chip is then removed from the Centurions by the Three's, Sixes and Eights. in The Hub Gaius tells a Centurion about God, and the Centurion is destroyed and leaks blood and what not.,

J-Whitt Remastered
December 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
i don't know. i just know that when they pump a bullet through them, we get lots of blood.

Season 4 shows the most of the cylons. they lobotomize the Raiders since the raiders refuse to attack the Final Five. the intelligence inhibiting chip is then removed from the Centurions by the Three's, Sixes and Eights. in The Hub Gaius tells a Centurion about God, and the Centurion is destroyed and leaks blood and what not.,

I guess I'll have to see how season 4 handles that. When Helo is stranded on Caprica with Sharon he shoots several Toasters and all it shows is holes in the heads/bodies.