FBI Special Agent Pendergast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FBI Special Agent Pendergast

Anyone here a fan of this sci fi thriller series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child? I just started reading the books, and immediately fell in love with Agent Pendergast. He's only a secondary character in the first two books (Relic & Reliquary), but becomes the main protagonist in the third book, Cabinet of Curiosities. Fun, edge-of-your-seat reading that offers up luscious tidbits about the ever-mysterious Pendergast.

For those unfamiliar with the character, here is a little wikisnippet (mild spoilers):

"Pendergast is a special agent with the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). He is a favorite among fans for his unique personality, cultural discernment, and his almost supernatural competence. He works out of the New Orleans, Louisiana branch of the FBI, but frequently travels out of state to investigate cases which interest him, namely those appearing to be the work of serial killers.

Born to a wealthy Southern family of French, Greek and Creole descent, circa 1960 and raised in New Orleans, Pendergast retains his gentlemanly Southern manners and mellifluous Deep Southern accent...[He] appreciates the finer things in life, including expensive cuisine and wines. Pendergast is a withdrawn man, but can be remarkably polite, charming or dangerous when need be. Well-learned in many subjects, he converses easily with doctors, scientists, and intellectuals. He is a master of manipulation, both of people and of his own mind when difficult circumstances demand a fresh view of the situation...He is also an expert martial artist...Pendergast's build is described as tall and thin, and he boasts a strong torso with lean muscle. His fingers are long and tapered. Pendergast has silver-colored eyes, a pale complexion, and light blond hair that appears almost white. He has been described as looking almost like an albino. Pendergast typically dresses in a black, hand-tailored, Italian suit regardless of weather conditions, and is often described as looking like a well-dressed undertaker. Observers note that he moves with a "cat-like" grace. His demeanor is that of someone taking in even the smallest details."

~~~~~~~~
    Oh, and there is a streak of insanity in his family.

So, just wondering if there are any other fans here. The stories are good - real page-turners - and Pendergast is both delightfully quirky, and deliciously mysterious...mmm-mmm-MMM! The good thing is that the details about him are revealed slowly - not all at once - which makes these books a very indulgent read...if you can get past the scary bits.

The books are - in order:

*Relic (1995)
    *Reliquary (1997)
    *The Cabinet of Curiosities (2002)
    *Still Life with Crows (2003)
    "The Diogenes Trilogy" :
    ....*Brimstone (2004) (Book One)
    ....*Dance of Death (2005) (Book Two)
    ....*The Book of the Dead (2006) (Book Three)
    *The Wheel of Darkness (2007)
    *Cemetery Dance (2009)
    *Fever Dream (2010)

If there are any other fans out there, please join in!

das
    sigpic

I like these books too. THE DANCE OF DEATH and THE BOOK OF THE DEAD are my favorites. The brother is really a creepy evil genius.

Comment

I can't wait to get into The Diogenes Trilogy! I have the books, but I'm waiting until next week to start reading them. I'm going through these stories too fast and with only 6 more to go, well...that means I could be finished them all, with nothing new to read, by the end of January. I am really enjoying them so much!

I just finished Still Life With Crows, and right now it's my favorite. But I've said that about each new one I've read so far. The stories are good, but mostly I love learning things about Pendergast. Some highlights for me from Still Life With Crows (spoilers!):
      Spoiler:
      I loved his relationship with Corrie. He was firm with her, but gentle at the same time - and so encouraging. He just instills confidence! Favorite bits between them: When he corrected her for the use of 4-letter words; his explanation why a relationship between them would be unwise, complete with side commentary on body piercing; and the end, when she hugs him and he stiffens all up, so unused to physical displays of affection. Just loved that part.

And I adored the scene he made in the diner! Such a fussy man, needing things just his way.

I also liked how he took care of the old lady, and the wounded. I wish there were more people in the world like him - take-charge types that are kind, instead of having the usual arrogance and aggression that comes along with positions of power.

I also loved this story because of the focus on Native American artifacts and 'psuedohistory'. Knowing enough about such massacres as Wounded Knee and other abuses by white settlers, this was a pretty accurate picture of how so many tribes were treated.

But the part of the story I loved the most was the ending. I couldn't be mad at Job - not at all. I could only feel pity for him. All in all I thought it was a very touching story - both in showing the fatherly relationship between Pendergast and Corrie, and the motherly relationship between old lady Kraus and Job.

das
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X