Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is telling Eli he is special all the time a bad thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is telling Eli he is special all the time a bad thing?

I'm referring to Rush's talk with Eli on the bridge when he reiterates how talented Eli is. I think that this can put too much pressure on him. It can also provide later on an inflated sense of self that he will feel like he does not have to try hard to accomplish anything (i.e. he is so smart that all the solutions to everything in life will be easy to come by and require minimal effort)

Or do you think Eli is able to handle it and that on Destiny he will learn that hard work is required to achieve greatness?

maybe rush wants Eli to him to follow in his footsteps. in a none murdering way of course
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      maybe rush wants Eli to him to follow in his footsteps. in a none murdering way of course
      When i saw that i went "eeee..... ".. I think Rush doesn't want Eli to get him killed :]

Comment

Eli is brilliant but unaccomplished, and he has no formal training for normal SGC stuff, let alone the situation the Icarus personnel found themselves in. I think being reminded from time to time is good, particularly with what he's going through with some of the recent casualties. I wouldn't rate it impossible for Eli's ego to overinflate, but I'd consider it unlikely, because it's a bit underinflated at the moment.

Comment

That statement makes him appear disabled, oh wait I meant specially gifted.

Comment

Eli has talent and potential but never used it. while on Destiny, he is using it but now that he's lost Gynn he has become a slacker again.

Eli also has potential because he's learning both from Young AND Rush, both talented, good people who made mistakes

Comment

Used sparingly it is a good thing. But if it's used too much the danger is a person can become an egomaniac and very self centered. Because it's the same thing as spoiling your child. What happens when a child is spoiled?

And yes, I'd like to see where this leads to myself. Hopefully we'll see Eli mature and go even farther than Rush or Young and fulfill his true destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                Used sparingly it is a good thing. But if it's used too much the danger is a person can become an egomaniac and very self centered. Because it's the same thing as spoiling your child. What happens when a child is spoiled?

And yes, I'd like to see where this leads to myself. Hopefully we'll see Eli mature and go even farther than Rush or Young and fulfill his true destiny.
                I agree, but I highly doubt that Eli could become a self-centered egomaniac.

Comment

I don't think so either, but that is always the risk one takes when they're being told they're a god among men all the time.

Sometimes regardless of age and experience in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
                    I agree, but I highly doubt that Eli could become a self-centered egomaniac.
                    he's still young, there's plenty of time to develop the egomaniac inside .....mwahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
                      he's still young, there's plenty of time to develop the egomaniac inside .....mwahahaha
                      LOL I guess, but still he should have more of a resistance to it because he wasn't like that as a child. He's the one who genuinely cares about others and sadly he doesn't have high self-esteem, which is why the others were conversing with him about it in "Resurgence". If he starts becoming an egomaniac, they will know when to stop.

Comment

I got the feeling that it was Rush's attempt to try to relate to Eli. They both just lost the woman they loved, so Rush empathized with him. I got the feeling that Rush wasn't sure, or perhaps not very good at talking about what Eli was feeling, so he was trying to tell Eli that even though he lost someone he loved, that Eli should not let the pain he was feeling overwhelm him.
                        sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

I believe Rush was trying to draw Eli to a path which was more like his- in that he should not develop a great deal of emotional attachments and instead focus on the mission of Destiny , by using all of his extraordinary abilities. Essentially, I thought Rush was suggesting that success can always bring Eli great reward as oppossed to the difficulties of having personal relationships.
                          Abbas Karimjee
                          www.abbaskarimjee.wordpress.com
                          The latest Stargate Atlantis, SG1 , Universe , movies and the future of Stargate news.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                            that was the way I took it Rush wants to mould Eli in his image.
                            ----------------------------
                            You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                              that was the way I took it Rush wants to mould Eli in his image.
                              I'm pretty sure that even Rush knows that not everything he's done was the right thing. I'm thinking that he just didn't want Eli to kill them all by making a preventable mistake.

Comment

Working...
                              X