PDA

View Full Version : The Ursini

Kaeb
November 30th, 2010, 08:03 PM
First of all, not a big fan of the name, just the sound of it doesn't really do anything for me.

Secondly, why didn't Telford and the aliens just write text in Ancient to communicate with one another?

I had hoped the Seed ship would return and we'd have more ships traveling with us through the series, Destiny building itself it's own fleet would be pretty spectacular tbh.

Other than that what do you guys think of their involvement in the series so far, their look, and their place in this episode etc. etc.

BadOnion
November 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
My main problem with them is they are too expensive to actually use them enough.

morbosfist
November 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I was kinda hoping they'd be more visible in this episode, but I'll take what I can get.

Pharaoh Atem
November 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM
sands,smurfs and now Ursini

sgc
November 30th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I think that they will be highly involved, at least throughout the next half-season or season, but if they are indeed :indeed: too expensive to do the CGI and stuff, then they may be used mostly through reference. Also, they may have a few puppets made, like the Asgard. They were part CGI and part puppet. That's why they were always sitting down.

Stargater276
November 30th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I'd love to see a fleet of ships assisting Destiny on it's mission. *waits for someone to scream BSG rip-off* :P

I guess the "blooper" released may have actually happened after all.

morbosfist
November 30th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Nah, just give Destiny a refit so we don't have to keep worrying about things breaking down. This is the perfect excuse to do it.

Pharaoh Atem
November 30th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Nah, just give Destiny a refit so we don't have to keep worrying about things breaking down. This is the perfect excuse to do it.

how? and with what supples?

Kaeb
November 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Even if it was just Destiny and the seed ship for awhile, i'd be pleased. Visually it'd be pretty stunning and it would really give for a visual aspect of how the show has developed and progressed so far both visually, technologically and in terms of the overall story itself.

And I'm still not seeing a reason why they couldn't just use the consoles to communicate with one another, they demonstrated they could do it later on in the episode as well, just remembered that. The pods thing just didn't seem all that necessary.

morbosfist
November 30th, 2010, 08:32 PM
how? and with what supples?Easy. They defeat these drones, then the Ursini take them to their homeworld. Lots of supplies should be there. Get Destiny all patched up, then they part ways.

Pharaoh Atem
November 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Easy. They defeat these drones, then the Ursini take them to their homeworld. Lots of supplies should be there. Get Destiny all patched up, then they part ways.

... maybe

Ekras
November 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM
So i'm thinking.....

It's pretty convenient that the Ursini have life-supporting pods. They went out of their way to mention that these pods provide basic nutrients etc. I bet at least one (possibly several) Ursini will eject from the seed ship as its destroyed. Would be awesome if we took on Ursini refugees.... would be a total game-changer! At least let us keep a pod!!!!

Kaeb
November 30th, 2010, 08:56 PM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?78413-The-Ursini

:mckay:

Daniela
November 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Just to be clear, these are not the Furlings?

sgc
November 30th, 2010, 08:58 PM

No; it was established at SGU's first Comic Con that SGU would not deal with the Furlings :danielanime08:.

lordofseas
November 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM
First of all, not a big fan of the name, just the sound of it doesn't really do anything for me.

Secondly, why didn't Telford and the aliens just write text in Ancient to communicate with one another?

I had hoped the Seed ship would return and we'd have more ships traveling with us through the series, Destiny building itself it's own fleet would be pretty spectacular tbh.

Other than that what do you guys think of their involvement in the series so far, their look, and their place in this episode etc. etc.

The reason that they most likely didn't is because I do not believe that Telford is proficient in Ancient. And basic understanding doesn't equal fluency.

Maybe. I like the Ursini, I was unsurprised by them bringing them to the battlefield, and I do hope that we get to see some more of them in the future.

Pharaoh Atem
November 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM

if it was and they are losing to drones then that's pretty sad

Replicator Todd
November 30th, 2010, 09:23 PM

If these "Ursini" are not the Furlings, then I'm gonna say the blues/smurfs are! :p

sgc
November 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM
If these "Ursini" are not the Furlings, then I'm gonna say the blues/smurfs are! :p

The Furlings were allies of the Ancients. Why would they try to steal Destiny or transform Chloe? The Ancients would NOT interact with such creatures. Besides, they are nowhere near advanced enough to be allies of the Ancients.

Replicator Todd
November 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM
The Furlings were allies of the Ancients. Why would they try to steal Destiny or transform Chloe? The Ancients would NOT interact with such creatures. Besides, they are nowhere near advanced enough to be allies of the Ancients.

The whole Furling thing is a joke of course. ;)

sgc
November 30th, 2010, 09:41 PM
The whole Furling thing is a joke of course. ;)

I know :P. I want to meet the Furlings. Oh well, it'll never happen until the next Stargate series.

Replicator Todd
November 30th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I know :P. I want to meet the Furlings. Oh well, it'll never happen until the next Stargate series.

I want to meet the Furlings too, I don't care if they don't meet some people's expectations.

Ekras
November 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Uhhh and? This is an unrelated thread..... This is about the possibility of refugees, that is about the race in general.

LeonK
December 1st, 2010, 12:21 AM

Multiple ships flying together would be quite cool. Would expand the opportunities for the occupants.

But really, I'd want them all to connect, and form an ancient version of Voltron!

Cold Fuzz
December 1st, 2010, 12:46 AM
I liked the Ursini—even if they did double-cross the Destiny crew. I like what they bring to the show, which is very similar to what the Blues bring to the show: Truly alien aliens and not more transplanted on some other planet by the Ancients or the Goa'uld.

Edit: I just remembered a bit of Latin from many years ago. The word ursine (bear-like) is derived from the Latin word ursus. The Ursini are brown so I supposed that makes them...bear-like. :P

pipi
December 1st, 2010, 12:52 AM
Mmmm, space meat. :)

thekillman
December 1st, 2010, 02:05 AM
even if they did double-cross the Destiny crew

there's a good chance we would double-cross them.

But really, I'd want them all to connect, and form an ancient version of Voltron!

like a dozen seed ships all attached to eachother and destiny? would make an awesome combat vessel if all seed-ships are at full power and share the shields

The Destiny
December 1st, 2010, 02:29 AM
I think the Ursini are pretty awesome. Poor guys though, those drones are absolutely slaughtering them, hardly losing any ships in the process. Did you see that simulation ( Too bad they didn't show it in full but intercut it with a shot of Eli and the guys looking at it, I wanted to see the Ursini ships explode )? The drones made 1 pass and those 5 big ships were all gone! Poor Ursini..

jedc28
December 1st, 2010, 03:22 AM
so is this the new big bad race they are talking about?

Egle01
December 1st, 2010, 04:18 AM
so is this the new big bad race they are talking about?I think the Ursini are supposed to be our allies, and the drone aliens the enemy.

Shai Hulud
December 1st, 2010, 04:27 AM
Ursini = Sneaky little ****ers.

garhkal
December 1st, 2010, 04:46 AM

Secondly, why didn't Telford and the aliens just write text in Ancient to communicate with one another?[//quote]

IIRC in Awakenings, he said he is familiar with the language enough to do work.. Just cause i know enough of basic to work with, does not mean i could use it to communicate to someone else.. And what is to say THEY know enough for it to have worked..

[QUOTE=Kaeb;12123700]

Not bad. My only Q was how long have they been on the seed ship?

Easy. They defeat these drones, then the Ursini take them to their homeworld. Lots of supplies should be there. Get Destiny all patched up, then they part ways.

I think with the way they 'were desperate' i think they Lost their homeworld.

I think the Ursini are pretty awesome. Poor guys though, those drones are absolutely slaughtering them, hardly losing any ships in the process. Did you see that simulation ( Too bad they didn't show it in full but intercut it with a shot of Eli and the guys looking at it, I wanted to see the Ursini ships explode )? The drones made 1 pass and those 5 big ships were all gone! Poor Ursini..

Well, if the Ursini ships had little or no weapons to defend themselves with, OR were unshielded i can easily see it.

Trinary
December 1st, 2010, 04:53 AM
Ursini in SGU == Ewoks in Star Wars.

Vagabond Serpent
December 1st, 2010, 05:10 AM
Ewoks weren't double-crossing Rebellion. :P But in other ways, yes, they are.

sgc
December 1st, 2010, 05:21 AM
I liked the Ursini—even if they did double-cross the Destiny crew. I like what they bring to the show, which is very similar to what the Blues bring to the show: Truly alien aliens and not more transplanted on some other planet by the Ancients or the Goa'uld.

Hm.. never thought of it that way, but I agree. Alien aliens are not of our species. Beings of our species are not "alien aliens". They are just alien, because they are from an alien environment, but they are not aliens, because they are of our species.

knowles2
December 1st, 2010, 05:52 AM
I would love use to take aboard some refugees but I do not think it is likely. Th Ursini are expensive to have in the episodes. There wage demands are outrageus an you have not even seen there travel expenses.

On the plus the CGI people do like playing about with them an Telford an Ursini scene they did was fun to watch. Would love to see more.

So I would love to see them aboard the destiny. As a other members of our motley crew.

knowles2
December 1st, 2010, 05:57 AM

They were abandon on the seeder vessel for a reason. An I suspect the reason is that the Drones an the people behind them have been winning the war against the Ursini an by some margins, given the simulation we saw, 5 ursini vessels destroyed zero drones destroyed. I doubt they could spare the resources to fixes up there own ships let alone Destiny.

They also do not even know if there home world is still there or intact. If they did they probably would of took seeder vessel there to be examine an taken apart to replicate it shields an weapon systems, which seem far more effective against the drones than the ursini ships have.

An I love the way they back stabbed us before we back stabbed them an got away with it.
Well so far at least.
An they were scientist an not military either.

Young an co will need up there game.

Utitan
December 1st, 2010, 06:01 AM

That would be just ridiculous.

knowles2
December 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM
Ursini = Sneaky little ****ers.

Humans = Sneaky little ****ers

knowles2
December 1st, 2010, 06:16 AM

Edit: I just remembered a bit of Latin from many years ago. The word ursine (bear-like) is derived from the Latin word ursus. The Ursini are brown so I supposed that makes them...bear-like. :P
You know someone reading that could reach the conclusion that the writers have just rename the Furlings to ursini. :cameron:

Makenshi
December 1st, 2010, 07:37 AM
I just remembered a bit of Latin from many years ago. The word ursine (bear-like) is derived from the Latin word ursus. The Ursini are brown so I supposed that makes them...bear-like. :P

Holy Hannah, the Ursini ARE the evolution of bears with lasers OMG! :shock:

James71
December 1st, 2010, 10:33 AM
I guess the "blooper" released may have actually happened after all.

They should definitely insert the "BALLS" joke into an episode. It is just THAT good. Or at least run it with the credits like they sometimes do with movies.

rushy
December 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM
The Ursini look so weird. Plus, HAIL the return of Telford, my favourite except Rush.

thekillman
December 1st, 2010, 12:35 PM
Humans = Sneaky little ****ers

humans tend to double-cross. the ursini beat us at doublecrossing. that must be a first, but it was to be expected

Kaeb
December 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM
The reason that they most likely didn't is because I do not believe that Telford is proficient in Ancient. And basic understanding doesn't equal fluency.

Maybe. I like the Ursini, I was unsurprised by them bringing them to the battlefield, and I do hope that we get to see some more of them in the future.
He already stated he has a basic understanding of ancient back when he first boarded the seed ship, you've had to when working on those consoles. So would the Ursini.

Puddle-Jumper
December 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM
Well Im liking that we finally have name for some aliens... also how tptb are portraying the part of the universe that Destiny is in... how its kinda like the wild lands... drones going around destroying things, ship graveyards, wars between aliens etc

LeonK
December 1st, 2010, 05:46 PM
like a dozen seed ships all attached to eachother and destiny? would make an awesome combat vessel if all seed-ships are at full power and share the shields

Yeah, I think it'd be a fantastically cool sight :)

Ekras
December 1st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Another cool thought would be bringing a bunch of them back with us to the Milky Way if we ever got home...

sgc
December 1st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Well Im liking that we finally have name for some aliens... also how tptb are portraying the part of the universe that Destiny is in... how its kinda like the wild lands... drones going around destroying things, ship graveyards, wars between aliens etc

And that's how it actually is. If an outside observer passed through our galaxy when the Goa'uld were in power or Pegasus with the Ancients fighting the Wraith, it would be the same thing. We would ask the help of the more advanced race to help us fight the Goa'uld. To them, they'd be like "what are those drone thingies" about the replicators. (I am NOT saying that the drones in SGU have anything to do with any type of Replicator :P)

sgc
December 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I think it'd be a fantastically cool sight :)

Definitely. I'd pay to see that. You never know; the seed ships may be capable of docking with one another while docked to Destiny.

Archaeis
December 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
According to Telford, from the knowledge he gained while connected to the pods, the aliens "call themselves the Ursini."

From the speech we've heard from them, it doesn't seems as if they could even make any of the sounds that make up that name. How can they call themselves something they cannot even speak?

blueray
December 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM
maybe they have a language, we just didn't see them speak. he also said there history is told from inside the pods, so maybe there language is normally not spoken out loud.

dgh64
December 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Did we hear them speak? Must watch Awakening again.

Maybe that's just Telford's close approximation to something they said that he couldn't say.

Cold Fuzz
December 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
The word ursine, which means bear-like, is derived from the Latin ursus, which means bear. Bears are brown and so are the Ursini. Bears are also...furry too. ;)

kweerone
December 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Sounds like Furlings to me....

Pharaoh Atem
December 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM
The word ursine, which means bear-like, is derived from the Latin ursus, which means bear. Bears are brown and so are the Ursini. Bears are also...furry too. ;)

if someone makes a furling joke i will scream

sgc
December 1st, 2010, 09:28 PM
maybe they have a language; we just didn't hear them speak. he also said their history is told from inside the pods, so maybe their language is normally not spoken out loud.

One of the (5?) characteristics necessary for a civilization are a written and spoken language, IIRC.

escyos
December 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Pronouce the work Sino....did you say Syno or Seeno...

words can be pronouced different ways by different people, i assume the same happens with aliens.

sgc
December 1st, 2010, 09:53 PM
Pronouce the work Sino....did you say Syno or Seeno...

words can be pronouced different ways by different people, i assume the same happens with aliens.

It depends on your language, and where you are from, so that must apply to aliens. I assume that that is a fair assumption :P.

knowles2
December 2nd, 2010, 12:49 AM
A other solution is that they simply told Telford a name that they thought he could pronounced.

Lahela
December 2nd, 2010, 01:00 AM
The first Ursini we meet in Awakening speaks and it uses all of the phonemes in the word "Ursini".

sgc
December 2nd, 2010, 01:13 AM
The first Ursini we meet in Awakening speaks and it uses all of the phonemes in the word "Ursini".

I'll have to check on that in the episode. It's on Hulu now.

Gatz
December 2nd, 2010, 01:59 AM
infrasounds and ultrasounds ladies.
Also, they can speak, remember when Telford told one of them the joke?

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
December 2nd, 2010, 02:03 AM

Furlings. Sounds Cute and Fuzzy to me.

garhkal
December 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM

I do remember something coming out of his mouth like "Eeww.. but not sure if it was right afte he spat out the food.

Steelbox
December 2nd, 2010, 03:11 AM
Well since Telford gained that knowledge trough connecting with the stasis pod. Spoken words doesn't mean much.

Lahela
December 2nd, 2010, 03:12 AM
I do remember something coming out of his mouth like "Eeww.. but not sure if it was right afte he spat out the food.

Before the food, when it first regains consciousness, it speaks. :)

Spimman
December 2nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
I'm sure that is the closest sounding name he could come up with, like translating Chinese names to English and so on, they never cross over perfectly.

blueray
December 2nd, 2010, 06:19 AM
One of the (5?) characteristics necessary for a civilization are a written and spoken language, IIRC.

on earth yes. a civilization needs to have a spoken language, but it doesn't need a written one (oral traditions). as for a alien species who knows.

but now that i think about it, i think it does speak in awakening.

Spimman
December 2nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
I'm just glad they have a name. Anything is better than Boogers!

Steelbox
December 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm sure that is the closest sounding name he could come up with, like translating Chinese names to English and so on, they never cross over perfectly.

Exactly what i wanted to express. Thanks.

Replicator Todd
December 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM

The Furlings are out there! :p

zainea13
December 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
on earth yes. a civilization needs to have a spoken language, but it doesn't need a written one (oral traditions). as for a alien species who knows.

but now that i think about it, i think it does speak in awakening.

no the definition of Civilization does require a written language, because record keeping is essential, otherwise you could not progress as far

kymeric
December 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
no the definition of Civilization does require a written language, because record keeping is essential, otherwise you could not progress as far

Not if everyone in the species has perfect memory, who knows? Maybe we are the only species in the universe who forgets things and dosent remember every single thing they ever do or say in horiffic detail?

sgc
December 2nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Not if everyone in the species has perfect memory, who knows? Maybe we are the only species in the universe who forgets things and dosent remember every single thing they ever do or say in horiffic detail?

Hm.. it actually kind of seems that way, doesn't it? Either way, you do need a written language.

Ekras
December 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
Hm.. it actually kind of seems that way, doesn't it? Either way, you do need a written language.

Not if your race all had photgraphic genetic memories.... :)

sgc
December 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
Not if your race all had photgraphic genetic memories.... :)

Hm... touche... Well, if you want to share your knowledge with other races, then you need a written language. Either that or the periodic table of the elements :P.

Vagabond Serpent
December 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
or head-grabbing and brain-eating thing on the wall. :P

nx01a
December 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
The Furlings are out there! :pSo is The Truth, which is exactly what Destiny's looking for.
...oh, crap. X-FileSGU.

thekillman
December 3rd, 2010, 01:59 AM
Hm... touche... Well, if you want to share your knowledge with other races, then you need a written language. Either that or the periodic table of the elements .

genetic memory is not something you'll evolve. you'd have to be advanced to create it for yourself.

why not? what evolutionary use does it have? none.

what evolutionary disadvantages does it have?

-it unnecesarily increases the amount of DNA. thus more data to copy, thus more energy and resources need to be spent to replicate.

-more DNA means more prone to mutation. this is bad

-did i mention the energy cost?

besides do you really want your kid to have your memories? i sure hope the kid doesn't get major traumas.

lastly, if every member has genetic memory, the increase of DNA would increase.

if your body, has, say, 1000 units of DNA crucial to it's functioning.

your memory takes up 10 units of DNA.

thus you have 1010 units of DNA memory.

you produce a kid with your wife. the 1000 DNA units form two packages of 500 DNA units, plus your memories, thus 510 DNA units.

your wife does the same, 500 + 500 = 1000 so the kid has all functioning DNA.
plus 2x10=20 DNA units of memory. thus 1020.

your kid has kids with someone who also has those 1020 units. cue a kid with 1040 units of DNA, 40 of which are memory.

those have kids. this is the third generation and your kids have 80 DNA units of memory, an 8-fold increase from the original.

worse, this increases exponentially since the memory is perfect.

so the 4th generation has 1160 units of DNA, the 5th 1320, the 6th has 1640 units of DNA, the 7th has 2280 units of DNA.

so the 7th has more memory than necessary body function. after this, it gets worse and worse, the 8th will have 2x more memory DNA than necessary body function DNA.

although these are arbitrary numbers, they clearly show why perfect genetic memory is such a bad idea. with every generation that information doubles.

worst of the worst, that information has to be stored inside the brain. not just as a highly efficient data compression called DNA but as actual neuron pathways.

wonder why the Asgard's brains are so big?

so no perfect genetic memory is not feasible.

written language is crucial to everything and anything, wheter it's the record keeping or the information sharing part. there are things like signs, which are a language on their own, but those signs have signs under them with clarification, like a No Parking sign with a sign saying "only on Tuesdays"

also there's the fact that a picture says more than a thousand words, and how a written clarification is crucial to that.

written language is the core of information sharing and recording, whether it's the spreading of school books, manuals or fabrication drawings.

Buck32
December 3rd, 2010, 02:23 AM

I don't really like the name either, it makes them sound like bears, or like the scientific names for bear species.

It'd be fine to have them as a main enemy if the audience can see them, but i don't think we will see them a lot due to the fact that the special effects money they need to show them every episode probably isn't there. Even in Resurgance all we really got was glimpses of them and they were supposedly playing a prominent role in the story.

Lahela
December 3rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
genetic memory...
<snipped for length>

The goa'uld had genetic memory.

Primus Commander Woden
December 3rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
Firstly, I am happy that we finally have some alien aliens in the show! Not a big fan of the blue aliens to be honest! Everyone keeps saying that the Ursini are meant ot be our allies but something just seems a bit of to me. Young was very careful last week when the others returned that were left on the planet but was quite happy to allow Telford back. I really like having Telford back but something just seems a bit fishy to me - he also seems different but maybe that is just me! I just wonder if the Ursini will turn out to be some baddies too - a twist such as they invented the drone machine and lost control of them and have to defeat them....but I guess we shall see! Last 4 episodes or so I think have been great. Need the next episode!!!

sgc
December 3rd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Firstly, I am happy that we finally have some alien aliens in the show! Not a big fan of the blue aliens to be honest! Everyone keeps saying that the Ursini are meant ot be our allies but something just seems a bit of to me. Young was very careful last week when the others returned that were left on the planet but was quite happy to allow Telford back. I really like having Telford back but something just seems a bit fishy to me - he also seems different but maybe that is just me! I just wonder if the Ursini will turn out to be some baddies too - a twist such as they invented the drone machine and lost control of them and have to defeat them....but I guess we shall see! Last 4 episodes or so I think have been great. Need the next episode!!!

Well, people usually don't like the enemy. What is it that you think is off about the judgment of the Ursini and about Telford? Also, JM confirmed that the Ursini did not invent the drones IIRC.