PDA

View Full Version : What was the point of the shuttle stuff?

BadOnion
November 30th, 2010, 07:46 PM
That went nowhere at all, totally unnecessary. I figured after the relatively lame excuse to get it back, it would serve some real need in this episode. Tonight I was hoping it might be destroyed, leaving the guys stranded on that ship or something. That would have been great. But nothing. Bunch of phony tension leading nowhere. More like after last week they just felt obligated to use the shuttle for something.

The episode was ok, but I'm always disappointed when they try to do a "big" episodes. They never turn out as good as they should be.

jelgate
November 30th, 2010, 07:48 PM
To cripple Destiny when the drone attack.

WindowsME
November 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
That went nowhere at all, totally unnecessary. I figured after the relatively lame excuse to get it back, it would serve some real need in this episode. Tonight I was hoping it might be destroyed, leaving the guys stranded on that ship or something. That would have been great. But nothing. Bunch of phony tension leading nowhere. More like after last week they just felt obligated to use the shuttle for something.

The episode was ok, but I'm always disappointed when they try to do a "big" episodes. They never turn out as good as they should be.

In the sense of the actual story, yes it was to cripple Destiny when the drones attack like jelgate said.

In terms of being viewed from the crew's perspective, it was a chance to investigate an intact ship.They didn't realize the threat surrounding it until the drones were spotted.

In Star Trek, should the Enterprise never investigate because there is a chance it's a trap? It's obviously for story progression. Do you want the episode to be mindless and have Destiny just fly around and pewpew aliens and not actually gain some form of information or technology from the situations that present themselves?

Something that may actually help you enjoy this series is to not watch it as a viewer from your television set. Watch as if you're a member on the ship or perhaps someone watching Kino footage.

rsanchez
November 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I think it killed one drone.

BadOnion
November 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM
As a writer, you should never send people off investigating when they find nothing and its irrelevant to the plot. The drones could have just attacked, there was no story "need" for the shuttle to have been involved.

rsanchez
November 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM
As a producer, you have to make sure you do these things in-budget. Exploring a ship, where all you have to do is set up a small set and have people walk through it, is much cheaper than having 20 more minutes of special effects.

Specter177
November 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM
From a writing standpoint, if the shuttle wasn't out there, they would have just jumped Destiny the moment the drones attacked. The shuttle was used to give them a reason to stay until the FTL drives were damaged. If the FTL were'nt damaged there would be no conflict, and thus, no episode.

BadOnion
November 30th, 2010, 08:13 PM
The drones could have just attacked and disabled the FTL drive immediately. Just about any excuse would have been better than all that time on the wasted shuttle trip.

sgc
November 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Something that may actually help you enjoy this series is to not watch it as a viewer from your television set. Watch as if you're a member on the ship or perhaps someone watching Kino footage.

Ooh, I like that! I just let myself be immersed into the action.

sgc
November 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM
The drones could have just attacked and disabled the FTL drive immediately. Just about any excuse would have been better than all that time on the wasted shuttle trip.

No, because Destiny's shields are more powerful than that. They needed a delay, and they got it. However, I believe in that situation, they are supposed to use the shuttle for a little recon. That's what they should do as far as protocol. This is the same thing for Atlantis and later episodes of SG1. They'd take a jumper/Daedalus or Prometheus/Odyssey to go look around. That's what the point of Stargate is: to explore the universe.

LeonK
November 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
No, because Destiny's shields are more powerful than that.

Destiny's shields are anything but strong. They fail so quickly of late they're nearly pointless.

Pharaoh Atem
November 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Destiny's shields are anything but strong. They fail so quickly of late they're nearly pointless.

makes sense the ship been taking a beating

LeonK
November 30th, 2010, 09:55 PM
makes sense the ship been taking a beating

Yep.

Which makes the shuttle trip all the more pointless as a plot device. There was no need to extend the damage Destiny was taking. A few drones targeting the engines and bam, they're damaged. *Shrug*

morbosfist
November 30th, 2010, 09:57 PM
They would have jumped to FTL long before the shields failed, or were even shot at for that matter. The shuttle was necessary as an excuse.

Rosehawk
November 30th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I actually saw it more as a way to let Brody shine a bit in the show. ;)

Benr96
December 1st, 2010, 01:33 AM
i think they brought it back for later episodes, i was actually hoping it wouldnt play a big part in this episode, i didnt want it to be like they just made an episode and shoved it in just in time .

Aewon
December 1st, 2010, 02:00 AM
Yep.

Which makes the shuttle trip all the more pointless as a plot device. There was no need to extend the damage Destiny was taking. A few drones targeting the engines and bam, they're damaged. *Shrug*

They'd have to know where to aim. If anything, they were lucky to hit the FTL Drive before Destiny could jump into FTL.

thekillman
December 1st, 2010, 02:08 AM
the shuttle stuff was their original plan. namely getting onboard, finding useful stuff and bringing it back on board.

of course that didn't go well. the point is that it was the point of going there in the first place!

The Destiny
December 1st, 2010, 02:21 AM
While I did hope they'd at least see something interesting on the ursini ship ( at least a corpse :) ) the fact the shuttle trip didnt do anything worthwhile did not bother me. I watch the show to be entertained ( and I was ), not to nitpick :p

Destiny's shields are strong ( it could hold under bombardement from the blue's for something like an hour before they jumped ), but those drone weapons are ridiculously powerfull. Saw the simulation destiny put together? 0.o Poor Ursini.. they sent in 5 big ships, drones fly past once and the're all destroyed.

Wayston
December 1st, 2010, 02:55 AM
The shuttle trip was indeed totally uninteresting by itself. They could have at least discovered some background info on the owners of these ships, but even the events that lead to the giant debris field were figured out from Destiny itself. I as a viewer expect some kind of utility in the scenes I'm watching and a pay off for watching them. Here the only thing that shuttle trip did was delay Destiny. Fine, but it would have been a lot more interesting if they ALSO had actually discovered something useful on the ship itself. It needn't have been something directly tied to the plot of the episode because that would be too SGAesque, but at least some interesting information for the backdrop of the show was very warranted. I did not get the feeling of receiving a payoff for watching the shuttle trip. It's not the first time this happens on SGU either :rolleyes:

Gatebsg
December 1st, 2010, 03:54 AM
Maybe I'm crazy but I swear greer brought something back with him it looked like he was looking at something.

Solokiller
December 1st, 2010, 04:17 AM
The trailer has a shot where they're looking at an object that looks like one of those drones, but it wasn't in the episode. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be from this episode though, so maybe it got cut for time?

J-Whitt Remastered
December 1st, 2010, 04:43 AM
*snippity snip*They could have at least discovered some background info on the owners of these ships, but even the events that lead to the giant debris field were figured out from Destiny itself.*more snippage*

If they had been able to find out any info on the ship's owners they would have found out that things are not QUITE how the Ursini have made them out to be. If they had found that out then they wouldn't have followed the Ursini like naive little kids believing everything they learned through a strange neural interface.

garhkal
December 1st, 2010, 04:54 AM
From a writing standpoint, if the shuttle wasn't out there, they would have just jumped Destiny the moment the drones attacked. The shuttle was used to give them a reason to stay until the FTL drives were damaged. If the FTL were'nt damaged there would be no conflict, and thus, no episode.

Yup.. No reason to stay, no space battle, no conflict...

With the ship operating with only 40% power capacity, i can easily understand this..

Shai Hulud
December 1st, 2010, 06:35 AM

So they could reuse the Ursini ship set from The Greater Good?

Egle01
December 1st, 2010, 06:48 AM
The trailer has a shot where they're looking at an object that looks like one of those drones, but it wasn't in the episode. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be from this episode though, so maybe it got cut for time?I was wondering about that one, too. Maybe from episode 11, then?

Avenger
December 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
I honestly don't know why people are expecting every single potential plot point to have some kind of pay off.

Wayston
December 1st, 2010, 10:54 AM
I honestly don't know why people are expecting every single potential plot point to have some kind of pay off.

Because we have the power to flip the channel to shows that do offer us the cheap thrills we so desparately crave?

Gatz
December 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM
I was wondering about that one, too. Maybe from episode 11, then?

I guess you guys be talking about this?

http://i52.tinypic.com/2h3ve9x.png
Storywise it doesn't seem to fit in Resourgence. I guess it's from Deliverance and whoever did the trailer screwed it up, or maybe did it on purpose.

Egle01
December 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Yup, that's the one.

kirmit
December 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM
Looks too small to be one of the drones we saw.

EDIT: Just watched it again and they are the exact same, just seemed bigger when they were attacking.

thekillman
December 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
With the ship operating with only 40% power capacity, i can easily understand this..

those drones, from the looks of it about as big as Blue Gunships, disposed of Destiny as fast as, what, 5-7 Blue motherships?

hell, they didn't even go to turtle mode to quickly repair the FTL damage!

Looks too small to be one of the drones we saw.

i suspect it to be something like a computer core or so

kweerone
December 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM
Well I guess it gave us a chance to see a little more conflict between Young and Rush, with Rush wanting to leave and Young refusing to leave people behind... Just a little more info as to where their priorities lie..

spaceship
December 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
The purpose of the shuttle trip was to test the third space suit that Brody had just repaired. As usual Greer was the guinea pig.

Also it was very cool how they jump from one ship to another. Nicely built up the suspense. But I think they went too far with the scene at the end where they have to run to get back to the shuttle. They made it seem like the bulky suits were slowing them down. But how can that be in a zero gravity environment?

Commander Zelix
December 1st, 2010, 04:15 PM
I would have like if they at least found one interesting stuff on the damaged ursine ship. Maybe they could have found that the Ursini were also studying the background radiation.

LeonK
December 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
They'd have to know where to aim. If anything, they were lucky to hit the FTL Drive before Destiny could jump into FTL.

If they were lucky while waiting for the shuttle, they could have been equally lucky while not waiting for the shuttle.

The shuttle trip was indeed totally uninteresting by itself. They could have at least discovered some background info on the owners of these ships, but even the events that lead to the giant debris field were figured out from Destiny itself. I as a viewer expect some kind of utility in the scenes I'm watching and a pay off for watching them. Here the only thing that shuttle trip did was delay Destiny. Fine, but it would have been a lot more interesting if they ALSO had actually discovered something useful on the ship itself. It needn't have been something directly tied to the plot of the episode because that would be too SGAesque, but at least some interesting information for the backdrop of the show was very warranted. I did not get the feeling of receiving a payoff for watching the shuttle trip. It's not the first time this happens on SGU either :rolleyes:

Yeah, finding ANYthing would have at least made it worth it. Even an alien version of a cell phone or something else equally unimportant.
With the ship operating with only 40% power capacity, i can easily understand this..[/QUOTE]

But I think they went too far with the scene at the end where they have to run to get back to the shuttle. They made it seem like the bulky suits were slowing them down. But how can that be in a zero gravity environment?

I was wondering about that too, I figured it was because of the magnetized boots or something?

I would have like if they at least found one interesting stuff on the damaged ursine ship. Maybe they could have found that the Ursini were also studying the background radiation.

Would have been cool to find that kind of tie-in with the Ursini, but then they would have to be as advanced as the ancients were, and I don't think they'd want to do that in this series.

Flibby
December 1st, 2010, 05:27 PM
While I agree that that whole part was drawn out a bit too much and was rather boring, I can't really see any other way for it to have gone except for it to have been hurried along a bit more.

Commander Zelix
December 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Would have been cool to find that kind of tie-in with the Ursini, but then they would have to be as advanced as the ancients were, and I don't think they'd want to do that in this series.
They wouldn't need to be as advanced as the ancient and certainly not in all fields. Maybe the background radiations is not so hard to find when you know how to look for it. Maybe luck and a couple of sensors can do the trick. Finding the secrets of them may be something else.

sgc
December 1st, 2010, 05:38 PM
The purpose of the shuttle trip was to test the third space suit that Brody had just repaired. As usual Greer was the guinea pig.

Also it was very cool how they jump from one ship to another. Nicely built up the suspense. But I think they went too far with the scene at the end where they have to run to get back to the shuttle. They made it seem like the bulky suits were slowing them down. But how can that be in a zero gravity environment?

A combination of the magnetized boots, and for dramatic suspense. (and that the scene was shot on Earth :P)

LeonK
December 1st, 2010, 05:39 PM
They wouldn't need to be as advanced as the ancient and certainly not in all fields. Maybe the background radiations is not so hard to find when you know how to look for it. Maybe luck and a couple of sensors can do the trick. Finding the secrets of them may be something else.

I suppose that's possible....but....wouldn't it pretty much cheapen the whole "real mission" of Destiny if any joe-shmoe species could stumble upon the hidden structure to the universe?

sgc
December 1st, 2010, 05:43 PM
I suppose that's possible....but....wouldn't it pretty much cheapen the whole "real mission" of Destiny if any joe-shmoe species could stumble upon the hidden structure to the universe?

Destiny's mission is getting there, not about finding it. Anybody can find it, but it takes the Ancients/their technology and knowledge to actually get there.

pipi
December 1st, 2010, 05:43 PM
They really should have painted Star Bug on the side of the shuttle. Would have been more fun. :)

LeonK
December 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM
Destiny's mission is getting there, not about finding it. Anybody can find it, but it takes the Ancients/their technology and knowledge to actually get there.

So ...... in future seasons/episodes, we're going to find Destiny in a space race to get to the source of the structure?

Go speed destiny, go speed destiny, go speed destiney goooooo! ;)

onik
December 3rd, 2010, 06:59 PM
It would have been better if they had decided to go over to retrieve raw material for the repair bot, since they've been using it more lately, and not generic scrounging. Last time they got nothing for it except a place for Rush to get his butt kicked, reveal Destiny's mission and save Young on the way back. Here they only got to delay Destiny.

And it also would have been great to have seen that out-take of Telford telling a joke to the Ursini included in the scenes when he was describing what happened. Something a little more interesting than him just looking around.

Anyway, the story was overall pretty good, but with a few small tweaks it could have been great!

And no wonder Destiny loses shields so fast...dang Eli draining power to calculate PI!

garhkal
December 4th, 2010, 01:35 AM
It would have been nice had they mentioned they need to pick up some hull plating, for the repair bot to fix the dome with..

smart
December 4th, 2010, 05:37 AM
The reason for this was for the audience to see how the storyline developed - by having Scott, Greer and Brody trying to get back from the shuttle, Young ensures that they do not jump to FTL until they return. This develops the storyline as by the time they returned, the FTL capabilities had sustained damage. Since they were not able to jump to FTL, they were able to encounter and be rescued by Telford, after which they would develop the deal with the Urinis.

Had they not gone to explore the damaged ship, there would be no basis for why they would not jump out of FTL and thus they would not have encountered Telford.

It also provided for exciting drama in terms of the fate of the characters as they tried to return to Destiny in the shuttle, which surrounded by the unknown and violent Drones.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 4th, 2010, 06:07 AM
They made it seem like the bulky suits were slowing them down. But how can that be in a zero gravity environment?

Just because they are in zero gravity doesn't mean that a bulky suit isn't still bulky.

dgh64
December 4th, 2010, 07:50 AM
The joints are pretty stiff, after 50 million years in the closet.

Buck32
December 4th, 2010, 09:55 PM
In the sense of the actual story, yes it was to cripple Destiny when the drones attack like jelgate said.

In terms of being viewed from the crew's perspective, it was a chance to investigate an intact ship.They didn't realize the threat surrounding it until the drones were spotted.

In Star Trek, should the Enterprise never investigate because there is a chance it's a trap? It's obviously for story progression. Do you want the episode to be mindless and have Destiny just fly around and pewpew aliens and not actually gain some form of information or technology from the situations that present themselves?

Mate if i did that i would have killed at least half the crew by now, they're so annoying!!!!

pipi
December 8th, 2010, 03:46 AM
The reason for this was for the audience to see how the storyline developed - by having Scott, Greer and Brody trying to get back from the shuttle, Young ensures that they do not jump to FTL until they return.

They could still explored the debris field without a shuttle just by jumping over in their suits like the time Young and Rush had their little biff. If they used a bunch of kinos like a surf board that would have been more awesome to watch than a brand new shuttle.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 8th, 2010, 05:34 AM
They could still explored the debris field without a shuttle just by jumping over in their suits like the time Young and Rush had their little biff. If they used a bunch of kinos like a surf board that would have been more awesome to watch than a brand new shuttle.

And if they had done that how would they have made it back to Destiny in time for the ship to have not been destroyed? That would be a bad idea, bad guys or no.

pipi
December 9th, 2010, 12:57 AM
And if they had done that how would they have made it back to Destiny in time for the ship to have not been destroyed? That would be a bad idea, bad guys or no.

Destiny would have to park closer to the debris they want to explore.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
There didn't seem to be much room to maneuver in the debris field.

Aewon
December 9th, 2010, 06:47 AM
If they were lucky while waiting for the shuttle, they could have been equally lucky while not waiting for the shuttle.

If you shoot at a man ten times from a distance of, say, a hundred feet you're likely to hit a vital organ than if you shoot only twice.

Anyway, as an author I find this topic rather offensive. Sure they could have had the Drones damage the FTL immediately (in which case a lot more people would have complained), but would it be more exciting? If that had happened they would have all been aboard the Destiny. There would be no tension because they wouldn't have to wait for the shuttle to get back before trying to jump to FTL. There would be no build-up to the attack. It would just have been a boring action scene.

Skiznot
December 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
It also provided for exciting drama in terms of the fate of the characters as they tried to return to Destiny in the shuttle, which surrounded by the unknown and violent Drones.

For me too. It added the suspense you get in a story where people go scuba away from the boat and then someone on the boat sees sharks in the water. We have become so blase with beaming people everywhere that we don't always apreciate how dangerous space travel is and how vulnerable you are when you step outside the ship. I do, however, that one little bit of info about the ship would have made it a little more interesting but that doesn't change the suspense of those moments.

pipi
December 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Would have been more interesting if the shuttle crew actually discovered something of value but were faced with retrieving it or fleeing back to Destiny.

The third space suit added a bit of comedy relief, so thumbs up for that.

sgc
December 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Would have been more interesting if the shuttle crew actually discovered something of value but were faced with retrieving it or fleeing back to Destiny.

The third space suit added a bit of comedy relief, so thumbs up for that.

Exactly on both parts.

garhkal
December 14th, 2010, 03:12 AM
That would have been interesting, to see them if nothing else, talk over the radio WHILE they fled.

J-Whitt Remastered
December 14th, 2010, 05:41 AM
That would have been interesting, to see them if nothing else, talk over the radio WHILE they fled.

Doing that would have winded them more than was necessary. When you're running for your life talking isn't usually the best idea. What would you have them say? "We're making a left running for the door! Opening the door! Just three more doors to go!"? Or something like that?

garhkal
December 15th, 2010, 04:16 AM
No.. more of a

What... we found X.. WHY do you want us to leave now?>

Duneknight
January 6th, 2011, 06:40 AM
They shouldve found anything on that ship or any writing, whatever just something to make the viewer believe it wasnt all for nothin and that it wasnt just to "cripple" destiny as a plot device. They couldve at least found some buttons to press; i will never understand how pro writers miss these silly things.

Mr Evil 37
April 16th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I actually agree that the whole thing with the shuttle mission and Brody and Greer boarding the Ursini ship was very unnecessary, and that time could have been used to spread some of the events "Deliverance" into "Resurgence"; I felt that there was a bit too much going on in "Deliverance" and it could have done with some extra time to flesh things out.