Scifi Bad Guys:Films, TV Shows an Books where the bad guys win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scifi Bad Guys:Films, TV Shows an Books where the bad guys win

I was just wondering are there any books, tv shows or films where the bad guys wins an defeat the good guys.

The only one I can think of is the film Skyline, where the aliens destroy the human race completely are there any more.

The joker sought of won in the Dark knight.

Just asking because I love it when the bad guys wins an I do not think we see enough of it.

Whether in destroying Harvey or Batman's image, the Joker 'won' in The Dark Knight.
    Humanity most definitely 'lost' in Planet of the Apes.
    A case could be made that Khan 'won' in Star Trek II.
    The Republic was ended and the Jedi exterminated in Revenge of the Sith.

That's all I can think of offhand, though I know they're not quite what you meant.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I can think of tons, but most of them aren't sci-fi. The only sci-fi ones I could come up with are:

The Empire Strikes Back (though I suppose this one is debatable)
      Invasion of the Body Snatchers
      Stepford Wives (the original)
      Originally posted by Callista
      Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
      Originally posted by HPMom
      She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
        The Empire Strikes Back (though I suppose this one is debatable)
        Oh man, I can't believe I thought of RotS but not ESB

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
        Invasion of the Body Snatchers
        Argh and I just watched that one the other day, how could I forget?!
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

In the Mortal Kombat Conquest tv series The big bad guy Shao Khan wins in the end and kills all the good guys and everyone else too.
          sigpic

Comment

I thought Invasion of body snatchers, 1956 version was left with an open ending, original it was suppose to air with the aliens winning the execs want a more optimistic ending.

The 2007 version ended with the aliens being defeated

Only the 1970s version had the aliens win. It could be argue that the aliens could have won as not warns Humanity.

I have never read the novel that the film is based on.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Only the 1970s version had the aliens win. It could be argue that the aliens could have won as not warns Humanity.
              This is the one I meant (I've never seen the others, were they any good?), but in this version the bad guys definitely win as Matthew never warns humanity and is turned.

I have never read the novel that the film is based on.
              I'm pretty sure the book had the good guys winning.

Comment

The only Invasion of the Body Snatchers I've seen was the 1956 version, and it ends with the invasion just beginning to spread beyond the town.

Comment

First thing that came to mind was The Outer Limits. Most of them tend to end with the good guys losing or something terrible happening.

That said, I guess it really depends on what defines "bad guys winning". Neo and Trinity die at the end of Matrix Revolutions, but they ultimately save Zion from being destroyed by the Machines and create a peace between both sides of the war.

The main cast of Mortal Kombat: Conquest, Blake 7 and Space: Above and Beyond are all killed in the final episode.

You could say the bad guys won every time the Doctor regenerates in Dr. Who. While the character doesn't die, the departure of the actor does have an impact on the fans at least.

The anime Evangelion. I've seen that thing twice, and the movies, and it's ending makes no sense to me at all, but considering all of humanity dies and sort of merges into a single giant soul creature, all the creator does is tend to explain things. Great anime up until those last two episodes.

Depending how you look at it, Final Fantasy VII. It ended with a meteor hitting the planet, while the planets life force tried to protect itself. Then it shifts to 300 years later and we see the main city of the stories in ruins. The expanded content released based on FF7 shows that just the city was destroyed but it took 10 years for that content to be released.

Metal Gear Solid 4. Even though the bad guys are ultimately defeated, they killed the guys working to stopping them (who themselves seemed like the bad guys). They all die, and the main character only has a short amount of time to live.

Cowboy Bebop. A fantastic anime set in the future. It ends with the main character falling over, seemingly dead, after he beats his rival in a fight. It's really up for debate whether or not he dies

sigpic

Comment

For books, there's 1984 and Brave New World (I completely ignored the "books" part of the title and thought about movies).

EDIT: Debatable, but Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.
                    Last edited by Ashizuri; 30 November 2010, 01:24 PM.

Comment

By "bad guys" do you mean evil/immoral characters or simply characters or groups opposed to the plots protagonist?

Either way I'll throw these into the mix even though they aren't all strictly scifi:

A Clockwork Orange (English novel, not censored US version). Alex going back to his old life of crime is essentially evil winning in the end.

Fight Club, despite the protagonist defeating Tyler the buildings still get blown up.

I Am Legend (original novel). The protagonist commits suicide rather than be executed when he is captured, however the whole final chapter is devoted to making the reader re-evaluate who they believe the good/bad guys to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodmanbod View Post
                        A Clockwork Orange (English novel, not censored US version). Alex going back to his old life of crime is essentially evil winning in the end.
                        Actually, the censored US version is the one that ends with Alex not being redeemed. In the unedited version Alex is no longer drawn to violence and wants to marry and have children (though, it could still be argued that evil wins as Alex fears any son he has will be the same as he was).

Comment

I stand corrected, Havnt read it in a while. I just remembered that the US version had it's last chapter cut or shortened and that one of the two versions ended with him going back to a crime filled life, knew I should have googles it before posting.

Now that you mention it I remember the bit about him being fearful for his future children, however to say that is the bad guys winning is a bit of a stretch. It's more society failing.

I also just realised that a number of Philip k dick short stories end with the bad guys winning

Comment

Working...
                          X