Tech in Alien Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tech in Alien Films

I was wondering about tech in the Alien films. Do the ships have shields or laser guns in the same manner as Star Wars or Star Trek?
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Well, considering the Colonial Marines in Aliens use bullet weapons, I'd say no.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I had (have? gotta check...) some old Alien magazines (w/ comics, short stories and stuff), and there were some 'technical specs' for some vessels. I don't recall lasers. There were definitely missiles and projectile weapons (I think they were mostly, if not exclusively, 'propellant burners').

As for shields, I don't think so. If the comics and Aliens movie is to go by, the Colonial Marines are only a little better than modern day soldiers equipment-wise (those Beserker things, aside).

did a quick search:
      http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Sulaco
      apparently they have railguns and beam weapons that affect electronics (dunno if the above is accurate)
      sigpic

Comment

The Colonial Marines used weapons much like we have today, so no lasers and such. No magic shields other than a lot of heavy plating, I'd guess. All projectile weapons and yes, possibly EMP weapons as well, but this is all stiff we use currently.

Gotthammer, it's so cool that someone else has read the old comics
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Somewhere I have the Colonial Marine Tech Manual.
          And I read that the ships like the Sulaco had Mass Drivers and various other types of weaponary. Of course they also carried Nukes. So they could take out targets from orbit.

I also have some Alien Comics somewhere.

ttyl
          Starfist
          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
          To thy own self... Be true
          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
            Somewhere I have the Colonial Marine Tech Manual.
            THAT I've always wanted. Never got around to ordering one, tho'.
            ...and a quick search on Amazon tells me that I don't think I'll be ordering one anytime soon.
            (58+ USD for a used copy at the cheapest? )

It's a pity they never did a Colonial Marines-based movie. Methinks it would've been better than the last Alien movie, or even the AvP stuff.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X