Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite Sci-fi depiction of humanity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite Sci-fi depiction of humanity?

So if there's anything that a lot of sci-fi has in common it's that the human race typically tends to make at least some sort of appearance, and often ends up as the "chosen race" or otherwise the lynch pin around which events unfold.

So of all those myriad takes on humanity which one is/was your favorite. Which one appealed to you either because you thought it was particularly realistic, inspiring in some way, really captured the essence and spirit of the human race, or was just plain cool for whatever reason you care to share.

For me a long time favorite has been the "Terrans" from the extremely popular Starcraft game series.

This picture pretty much says it all.

When nasty aliens come knocking and think they can push us around this is the kind of face I want greeting them, 14mm gauss rifle in hand.

Starcraft humanity has everything from your standard massive battlefleets of steely doom to intersteller nuclear missiles that can torch entire planets at the push of a button, psychic assassins, and "re-socialized" criminals as front line combat troops. I just love the whole "wild west frontier in space" atmosphere of the universe and the characters in it, as well as the comedic side to it all. It's something Firefly tried as well, but it's just not the same without the 7 foot rednecks in mechanical suits hopped up on combat stimms.

Feel free to list more than one if you want, I probably will later.
    Last edited by Ouroboros; 16 October 2010, 11:23 PM. Reason: Imageshack sux

Tough call. One that immediately springs to mind for me is near the conclusion of Children of Men. All hope has been lost for a long time, but when it presents itself again people sit up, take notice, and stop trying to hurt one another--even if only for a moment. Something very powerful in that.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Independence Day.

Comment

No one for Warhammer 40,000's depiction of humanity as, for the most part, xenophobic, belligerent, narrow-minded and, perhaps, ultimately doomed?

My memory's a bit fuzzy on the details, but I think I like the way humanity, at least in terms of government (citizenship as something to be earned in order to participate), was depicted in Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers'.

That or any setting where humanity has established a, relatively, benevolent empire (Legend of the Galactic Heroes comes to mind).

Farscape's take on mankind was actually nice, too: highlighting both strengths and weaknesses (particularly in the 4th season).

Don't think I can pick one, tho'...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
          No one for Warhammer 40,000's depiction of humanity as, for the most part, xenophobic, belligerent, narrow-minded and, perhaps, ultimately doomed?
          The Imperium of man was going to be the next one I mentioned actually. I almost included it in the opening post but figured Starcraft would be a bit more well known.

For those that don't know the Imperium is basically every cliche about how horrible the middle ages could be turned up to 11 and spread over an entire galaxy in a high tech space empire. It's got Inquisitors, religious zealots, crusades, Knights in the form of the super human space marines of the Adeptus Astartes, warrior nuns, and warships that look like flying cathedrals.

Comment

...and where death doesn't necessarily mean and 'end' to your 'service' to the Imperium.
            (cases-in-point: Space Marine Dreadnoughts and those-floating-skull-thingies-the-names-of-which-escape-me-at-the-moment ).

Of course, it also shows humanity's resilience: surrounded by foes within (the corrupting powers of Chaos, for example) and outside (aliens such as the Tau, Necrons, Eldar, Orks, Tyranids, and the 'physical' manifestations of Chaos in the form of the Traitor Legions), humanity still keeps on fighting (of course, a lot of 'em are indoctrinated/brainwashed into fighting for 'ye olde glorified lighthouse', aka the 'Emperor of Man').

Cool setting. Tho' it does feel rather 'stagnant' (in that nothing really big changes. Maybe a 'major character' will die or meet a 'bad fate', but the galaxy at large seems to remain the same).
            sigpic

Comment

I tend to prefer dystopian views of our future rather than utopian so it would be dark

Children of men has been mentioned already, so that, and things like Book of Eli, etc

Also, movies like Bladerunner, Alien etc and, even as lighthearted as it was at times, Firefly

I don't see us getting "better" as a species and our existence will continue to be a struggle, mostly against ourselves
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

BSG (Style)
                sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Any future where we evolve into energy beings, really.
                  I think Babylon 5's depiction of humanity is quite realistic. We'd probably be like that if we got out into deep space.
                  The Star Trek universe where humanity's basically living in ultimate luxury [between Borg attacks and anomalies] is a pretty sweet existence.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

<snip>
                    Last edited by Skydiver; 16 October 2010, 10:58 AM.
                    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

I find that movie title to be offensive and really not appropriate here, especially linked with no warning.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Dang, and I missed it
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm guessing it was _______ From Outer Space?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            I'm guessing it was _______ From Outer Space?
                            Indeed
                            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                              Any future where we evolve into energy beings, really.
                              I think Babylon 5's depiction of humanity is quite realistic. We'd probably be like that if we got out into deep space.
                              The Star Trek universe where humanity's basically living in ultimate luxury [between Borg attacks and anomalies] is a pretty sweet existence.
                              That's one of the reasons B5 is my favorite sci-fi show. Its realism about humanity, even humanity's darkest qualities, were explored. We got the full gamut with the characters: Sheridan's patriotism and honor, Ivanova's Russian seriousness, Garibaldi's and Marcus' humor, Franklin's thoughtfulness...the list goes on—all the way to Clark's murderous quest for power and even Max Eilerson's fondness for "entertainment" like Snow White and the Seven Narns and Who's Your Little Pak'ma'ra?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X