Techtalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Techtalk

Can anyone help me out? I'm in need of some proper techtalk, so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I'm working on a comic book, in which there's this hopelessly incompetent alien who's pressed the wrong button on the spaceship, and it's hurtling toward a planet. There's someone with him who's a Sci-Fi fan, and she starts spouting suggestions on how to stop the ship.
    This is where I need the proper tech talk with three suggestions on how the ship can be stopped or landed softly, but while I'm familiar with the language I don't know enough about the meaning of it myself, and I'd hate to get it hopelessly wrong.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Use a tractor beam to bounce the ship off a meteorite.
    Use manouvering thrusters to soften the landing
    Reroute secondary power to the inverse phase coupling and redistribute the coding into the unilateral matrix buffer to reingage the autopilot features and then reverse the polarity to escape the velocity of the gravity of the celestial body.

Comment

nuke it. not sure on the size. anywhere up to a few KM's = KT range, dozens of kilometers = megaton

depending on the time at hand, a several year long mission where a sattelite uses it's own gravity to deflect the asteroid would work.

additionally, a megaton-level nuke would work to deflect the asteroid.

lastly, whatever threw the asteroid at earth could throw it back

Comment

I think the best option would be aerobraking. This could be done before entering the atmosphere and landing. You could also try the slingshot effect to just change direction and fly off into space without landing.

sigpic

Comment

Wow! Thank you so much, this is all brilliant stuff! I'm going to have to enlarge the text balloon to fit it all in. Or I might add a few extra frames, the more she knows, the worse it will be for the pour alien.

Thank you very much!!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            Reroute secondary power to the inverse phase coupling and redistribute the coding into the unilateral matrix buffer to reingage the autopilot features and then reverse the polarity to escape the velocity of the gravity of the celestial body.
            Like puting too much air in a balloon!
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X